Forums Latest Members
  1. Prieto9000 Sep 22, 2016

I listed one of my watches on eBay yesterday to raise some funds to recover from my last acquisition and to my surprise I woke up with an email from eBay that my item was sold!!!! It´s the first time I sell something on eBay so I got super excited. I couldn´t believe I sold the piece so fast.
    A few minutes after I woke up, I received a text from the buyer requesting payment information and/or a payment request via PayPal so I sent it. Then, 2 hours later I received an email from "PayPal" confirming the buyer sent me a payment and requesting tracking information to release the funds. It didn´t sound ludacris to me since PayPal is supposed to take care from the buyer and the seller so I packed the Item and got it ready for shipment.
    Like 30 minutes after receiving that email, the buyer contacted me via email requesting me to send the item via fedex or UPS next day before 10:00 am because it was a surprise present to his father in law which was still understandable and he indeed "sent" $80 extra for shipping so I agreed.
    I don´t know why, but something in my gut was telling me something wasn't right but continued and got the package to my Fedex office, took a picture of the box with the shipping label and sent it in reply to the email I got requesting tracking information of the shipment. Hell, the email even said not to provide that info to the buyer until I had the funds in my account so it seemed legit.
    2 hours later I got an email from "PayPal" saying they had the info and payment would be processed. I just had to wait 24 hours to have the money in my account.
    I was really troubled with the idea of getting scammed so I called PayPal and there it was!!! The email address that supposedly sent the payment didn´t even had a PayPal account!!!!!
    I immediately called fedex and told them to return the package to the shipper and they did. I got very lucky, but I almost lost my watch!!!!!!
    I can´t believe this people. The account was active on eBay since 2008

Edited Sep 23, 2016
    Northernman likes this.
  2. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Sep 22, 2016

There is never any reason to "request payment information" through PayPal when using eBay. The buyer can simply pay through eBay. It is all done through the eBay/PayPal website. Also it is super easy to print shipping labels from the PayPal website and by doing so you also insure that you have been payed.

Nobel Prize and cvrle1 like this.
  3. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Sep 22, 2016

You may want to edit your post and remove your email address, so the entire world doesn't see it.

oddboy likes this.
  4. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Sep 22, 2016

+1, redact that pic. I can't believe I just said that.

Pic of the watch in question?

5. Prieto9000 Sep 23, 2016

IMG_9452.JPG IMG_9650.JPG IMG_9786.JPG IMG_9787.JPG

Edited Sep 23, 2016
    ahartfie and Nobel Prize like this.
  6. Prieto9000 Sep 23, 2016

Can you believe this??

I got this an hour ago.
    Captura de pantalla 2016-09-23 a la(s) 2.22.42 a.m..png
    fullsizeoutput_1829.jpeg

Edited Sep 23, 2016
  7. WatchVaultNYC Sep 23, 2016

Tell the "buyer" that the extra funds he "sent" doesn't cover the Fedex shipping. Ask him to Western Union you an additional $100.

But seriously #1 - that's a fine looking 3523.30 (or whatever it's called with a strap)

But seriously #2 - the way not to get scammed by fake Paypal payments is to log into the Paypal website and check if the payment is there. Emails are so easily faked. And then only ship to the exact confirmed Paypal address associated with the payment.

Syrte, cvrle1, repoman and 2 others like this.
  8. cristos71 Sep 23, 2016

The spelling and punctuation errors in that "PayPal" email should raise some warning flags. "Tranaction", "eBay.item", etc

ahartfie, Syrte and Northernman like this.
  9. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Sep 23, 2016

And PayPal is no longer an eBay company

10. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Sep 23, 2016

And you would not be credited $2080. PayPal grabs their cut right off the top.

11. yousefsl Sep 23, 2016

That was a close call

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

12. terryb111 Sep 23, 2016

I got scammed a few months ago and unfortunately lost £1200 worth of watch. I'm ashamed to admit that i was that foolish but the emails from supposed paypal were so convincing i was lured in.
    1 month ago i had the same thing again only this one was a bit more obvious and a saw through it straight away.

Be careful everybody

WatchVaultNYC and Prieto9000 like this.
  13. RegF Sep 23, 2016

I run an online business and get dodgy emails purportedly from PayPal pretty regularly - 5-6 times a month.

ALWAYS at the very least click on the drop-down so that you can see the entire email address - I don't think that many legit emails from Paypal will be originating in the Ukraine or Zambia.

I also get scam mails from all sorts of others, but to their credit, PayPal have a simple process to report the ones involving them and they respond so that they seem to be genuinly interested in following up and eliminating these kinds of practices.

[email protected]

Just forward the entire mail message.

Trouble is, its a very easily moved moving target.

SO even if you just scraped by or did lose out, report it so that the next guy is less likely to be faced with the same dodgy deal.

Depending upon where you are, you may also be able to report it to your authorities in the apprpraite area of law enforcement.

Here in Australia, The AFP take such matters up.

Their web site, ironically absolutely sucks, but at least it exists.

14. terryb111 Sep 23, 2016

Meanwhile, here in the UK our authorities did absolutely nothing.

15. Cobain Sep 23, 2016

Seriously why won't you guys check who sends the email? it will never show a convincing address.

anyone else got scam stories? i love these

16. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Sep 23, 2016

Rule # 1- Always check your PayPal account before shipping.
    Rule #2- Never use the link supplied in emails.
    Rule #3- Log into Ebay and verify all details of sale. I simply ship thru the Ebay portal, its stupid simple.

Curious, did you actually read the email from PayPal or just glance at it? The english is so poor I couldn't get past the first sentence.
    Regardless I never ship an item from an email. I only ship from my Ebay account, its all automated for a reason. NEVER ship an item prior to verifying the funds are in your PayPal account and have cleared.

BTW- How did the buyer get your cell phone number to text you?

"the buyer has paid the right amount..."
    WTF...You would think these guys would at least copy and paste a legitimate PayPal email rather than making this shit up.

A few things to keep in mind:
    1- All emails from PayPal look the same, and they look nothing like the email you posted above.
    2- Emails from PayPal are addressed to your real name, not your Ebay ID.
    3- PayPal is not an Ebay Company

Edited Sep 23, 2016
    RawArcher, ahartfie and WatchVaultNYC like this.
  17. terryb111 Sep 23, 2016

What you actually enjoy hearing other peoples pain?

18. Prieto9000 Sep 23, 2016

I don't know why, eBay supplied all my details to the buyer. This is really troubling me since it was a buy it now item.
    If my memory serves me well you can't click the buy it now button and not pay in that moment expecting to get all the seller's info, but I can be mistaken.

Sent from my iPhone.

19. abrod520 Sep 23, 2016

These scams target new eBay sellers, same thing happened to me. First thing I did was log into my PayPal account separately (do not click on any links in the email) to verify that the payment was there. When I didn't see it, checked the email address and saw it was not from PayPal.com, fortunately hadn't yet shipped out but was all packed up and ready to go....

Always verify payment in your account before shipping!

ahartfie, CajunTiger and Prieto9000 like this.
  20. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Sep 23, 2016

Its easy to get the sellers contact info...but thats were you went wrong. Never rely on an email, and if you receive a text its a huge red flag.

Its important to always use PayPal and Ebay website to verify the transaction prior to shipping. This is the ONLY way you will be protected. Clicking links in an email is simply foolish. NEVER trust an email as proof of payment, you must use the websites directly.

Edited Sep 23, 2016
    ahartfie and Edward53 like this.