Forums Latest Members
  1. Concer Nov 11, 2020

Hello everybody,

I've had this problem a lot with watches, maybe someone can help me. Maybe (or very likely) I'm doing something wrong :D

In fact, it has happened to me with several watches that if I remove the crown + winding stem from the watch, it can no longer be inserted afterwards. I then have to completely disassemble the watch every time and correct the mechanism because the clutch lever slides under the setting lever. How can I prevent this? I press the stem release button very carefully.

I would be happy if someone could help me. It is a pain in the ... to completely disassemble the watch every time.

Best
    Oli

Uhr.jpg

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 11, 2020

What position do you have the crown in when you remove the stem?

3. Concer Nov 11, 2020

Normal position, complete in.

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 12, 2020

There are differing opinions on where to have the stem in different movements, but I always use the winding position, or pressed in to the case as far as it would go, and I have no issues with the setting parts going out of place.

I can only suggest that you are not being careful enough when removing the stem, and may be not pulling it straight out.

You also mention the push button - you don't want to press the button down any more than is necessary to get the stem out. If you press it too far, this will increase the chances of the yoke getting out of position.

michael e likes this.
  5. wsfarrell Nov 12, 2020

Just adding that I too have encountered this issue, and that I, like OP, am extremely careful when pushing the release button.

6. Concer Nov 16, 2020

Hi Archer,
    thanks for your advice. I always try to do this as carefully as possible, but unfortunately I keep having the problem. To be honest, I really don't know what I'm doing wrong. But at least I don't seem the only one with the problem :D

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 16, 2020

It's a common problem with people starting out, and some movement seem worse for this than others. There's no magic solution unfortunately, at least that I know of, so just a matter of developing the feel for it. If you look at the post on the setting lever, you will see how short it is - this tells you that you really only have to push the button a very small amount to remove the stem.

sonicosa and lindo like this.