Forums Latest Members

Private Watch Sales - When do you "like"?

1. Passover Mar 6, 2020

Hi,

it's always very interesting who "likes" which sales ad in the private watch sales, very informative I think...

My question:

Do you only look at the condition of the watch and the sale ad or do you also consider the price in relation to the condition?

Would you give your "like" for a very good watch which is overpriced?

Thanks

rustynuts, Duracuir1 and DaveK like this.
  2. rustynuts Mar 6, 2020

If it's a good buy (attractive and honest watch at a reasonable price/a sale I'm trying to resist) I give ads a "like". Perhaps next year, at the current post rate, I'll be able to comment in that area of the forum!

Foo2rama and Duracuir1 like this.
  3. Evitzee Mar 6, 2020

Interesting watch, good condition, fair price.

Foo2rama, Duracuir1, Davidt and 5 others like this.
  4. JanV Mar 6, 2020

Interesting watch, good to fair condition with a price that corresponds its condition, like stated above.

Foo2rama, Duracuir1 and MikiJ like this.
  5. Dan S Mar 6, 2020

I am mainly looking at the quality and condition if I give a like to a listing, and I try not to focus too much on the asking price, since I think that's between the buyer and seller for the most part. However, if the watch is wildly over-priced, it might put me off. And of course, there are a lot of wildly over-priced watches sitting in that forum these days.

Foo2rama, Duracuir1, kip595 and 5 others like this.
  6. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Mar 6, 2020

I never consider the price. My like is based purely on the photos and whether or not the watch appeals to me - as in ‘would I wear it’.
    In general, the watches in this thread are so way outside my price range (about $500 US) that the actual price quoted has minimal relevance to me.

7. Jonathan40 Mar 6, 2020

I have bought only a handful of watches on the forum but don’t remember using the like button on any of those occasions.
    I think the like is a little strange on the private sales forum and not needed IMHO.
    If it’s in a good price range in relation to condition, a comment/bump for the listing shows your appreciation.
    Even if you don’t want to buy it for whatever reason.

Duracuir1 likes this.
  8. Vitezi Mar 6, 2020

I click LIKE on anything @Tony C. or @X350 XJR put up for sale. It's sort of an autonomic nerve reflex. :D I especially enjoy the writeup on each one of @Tony C. sales posts. Those should get a LIKE all by themselves.

Foo2rama, Duracuir1, Syzygy and 6 others like this.
  9. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Mar 6, 2020

Duracuir1 and Syrte like this.
  10. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Mar 6, 2020

I like if I like the watch. I’m not making a judgement on the price- and not taking it into account.

11. Dan S Mar 6, 2020

Giving a “like” is subtle and a nice way to add your approval. Bumping the listing with a comment is taking it to a whole new level and should be reserved for when you REALLY LIKE a watch. :D

Duracuir1 likes this.
  12. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Mar 6, 2020

And if you REALLY, REALLY like the watch, you don't do jack, you pretend the listing doesn't exist and you hope no one else notices it!

Duracuir1, Eve, kip595 and 6 others like this.
  13. ConElPueblo Mar 6, 2020

I sometimes give a watch I don't particularly care for, but has been posted at a good price a like. Sometimes, it will be a watch I like at a price I think is fair. I always consider price.

Passover, Duracuir1, Eve and 4 others like this.
  14. cristos71 Mar 6, 2020

I like watches that I think are interesting and attractive, but more importantly where I think the price/condition ratio is in balance. I never like what I feel to be very over priced offerings.

15. gostang9 Mar 6, 2020

I 'like' watches where the watch itself (model, style, condition) and price are something that would have me buying if not for some extraneous reason (not in the budget, already have something similar...)

Duracuir1, Dan S and janice&fred like this.
  16. janice&fred Mar 6, 2020

Obviously condition of an offering is important but I post likes quite often and it's always because of reasonable price combined with reasonable description. I don't want to read long-winded crap extolling the virtues of a watch and find it especially annoying when a seller "talks down" to their audience on a site such as this where it should be assumed readers have at least a working knowledge of what they are looking at. Of course the final straw is what usually follows in this type of seller's ad, which are his "rules" on how the transaction will take place, dictating what payments will be accepted and how. "personal checks will be accepted and subject to bank vetting". Duh. As far as I'm concerned that crap can be discussed via private message should the off-putting offensive ad attract a buyer.

ConElPueblo, Duracuir1 and Dan S like this.
  17. mjb Mar 7, 2020

I never like a sale post. Never thought of it. Who cares what I think?

Duracuir1 likes this.
  18. mgmarsh39 Mar 7, 2020

I tend to do it for postings I want to save and go back to later. Your liked posts are there in your profile page.
    Maybe not the most effective way but works for me.

ConElPueblo and Duracuir1 like this.
  19. Chye Mar 7, 2020

If the watch's an uncommon one, priced attractively or sale post is well crafted with details.

Duracuir1 likes this.
  20. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Mar 7, 2020

Excuse me, did you say something?