Forums Latest Members

Private sales...member comments.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lillatroll Mar 16, 2018

I just googled avena which is what your better half is drinking. You will be pleased to know that bread and jam is also on offer for breakfast so you won t starve. Might want to take some PG Tips just in case.

2. ulackfocus Mar 16, 2018

Yes, just like hockey - the players can make their own justice. Which is why you need goons like me. :D :p

Paedipod, kov and Faz like this.
  3. omegastar Mar 16, 2018

Yes, but then you could simply push on the like button.
    I sometimes felt it had more to do with the identity of the seller then with the watch offered. But maybe I am totally wrong.
    I wanted to hear what the other members or Mods thought about it.
    HAGWE

Paulomega, mayankyadav and Faz like this.
  4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 16, 2018

Speak for yourself :p

5. Jonathan40 Mar 16, 2018

It is absolutely correct to highlight any issues with a sales thread but done with the knowledge that the seller is trying to sell something they listed in the most accurate way they can/know, often using words/info from when they bought it previously. We are all different in our knowledge or interpretation of what is poor,average, excellent and dare I say unpolished.
    It would be easy to spot someone who continues to miss represent sales posts within this community and most things are offered with a returns policy in the event of a difference of opinion.
    The minimum post rules etc on this forum help protect us all from bad things happening. As mentioned previously by other members I am also a member of other forums and over the years have found this site to be the most professionally administered site on the web. As my sons tee-shirt says “bad guys beware”
    Happy selling and good hunting everyone.

CameronD likes this.
  6. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Mar 16, 2018

Thankyou @lillatrol:) I shall stock up on the way to Heathrow Airport.:thumbsup:

I just said to my wife "Amore... I'll do your breakfast in the morning... do you want me to make you Avena?"

She looked suprised and said " How de hell yooz knows deez thingz? ... who yooz speeka to about my Avenazz?:D

Edited Mar 16, 2018
    lillatroll likes this.
  7. Reddy_Kilowatt Mar 16, 2018

STANDY and ConElPueblo like this.
  8. DRjre086 Oct 22, 2018

Definitely a subject that many have different opinions on. I personally like being able to see comments on sales posts in regards to issues with the watch for sale. However, I do think the “cheering on” muddies the water on the sales post. In that case, I think the simple like button would suffice.

I can say I myself have recently learned quite a bit by seeing these posts correcting or at least bringing to light potential issues with a watch.

Cheers

S.H., mr_yossarian and sdre like this.
  9. Furioso May 20, 2019

Well, I suppose this is useful info, as a newbie here, I'm interested to figure out a potential reasonable way to buy a particular item - knowing the rules helps...

10. Dan S May 27, 2019

It is becoming painful to see the ridiculously exaggerated descriptions becoming more common in the Private Sales forum. I looked there recently and saw a badly overpolished watch with obviously re-lumed hands being described as "unpolished" and in "exceptional condition". However, I just don't feel comfortable commenting on qualitative descriptions in the sales thread itself. Hopefully buyers are not blindly believing these listings, but sending DMs to experts to ask for feedback.

Edited May 27, 2019
    janice&fred, Hnansen, Syrte and 10 others like this.
  11. jpjsavage Jun 5, 2019

I agree with this. I've learnt a lot from reading comments on other fora re. watches that are up for sale. I can appreciate that it can go a bit downhill on occasions, but there is a self-regulating aspect to the way a community works and if something isn't right then it seems appropriate for the community to comment on it. And those trying to sell watches should take the time to describe them accurately, including anything that is amiss.

12. wristpirate Jun 5, 2019

In these cases perhaps you should DM the seller? If they don't amend the listing then call them out in the thread itself.

JanV likes this.
  13. mjb Jun 5, 2019

I agree. I wouldn't know what "experts" to ask.

Dan S likes this.
  14. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 5, 2019

I just chuckle at every bump the above type lister adds :D

janice&fred likes this.
  15. Dan S Jun 5, 2019

If somebody made an objective factual error, I would probably do that, e.g. if they identified a movement incorrectly or claimed that a service bezel was original. But I would feel funny messaging a seller about more subtle things (like over-polishing or re-luming). If the seller is bold enough to make claims like that in the listing, they will probably just argue with me, and I'm really not looking to be confrontational. Better for buyers to ask by DM.

16. Maganator Jun 5, 2019

I can understand that - but the private sales forum here should really be a safe space for purchasers.

Of course, members should do their own research, before they buy, but if the experts on here see a polished example being advertised as 'unpolished' or a relume not being highlighted then that should be called out privately by DM and if the seller doesn't budge then call them out publicly.

I get that people may want to avoid unnecessary confrontation but we don't want this descending into eBay-style descriptions.

17. Walrus Jun 14, 2019

Right of the bat here when I was asking if vintage movados are sold here several gentlemen posted what they had. One was particularly nice with a stunning dial. Can’t give full feedback as I didn’t purchase yet, too many watches in service but I thought it was really cool I got the approaches especially being new here. Thanks for that again guys.,

18. sollman Jun 16, 2019

I think it's ok to - and have done so - vouch for a seller you know or a watch you've actually seen at a gtg. Again these can be deceptive tactics if it's a brand new member posting a comment this for another brand new seller.

I don't think anyone should comment on price as far as, that's too much to ask. But pointing out something way way below market as a potential scam is helpful.

19. Dan S Jun 16, 2019

This is actually explicit against the rules of the sales forum.

20. Japanred Jul 6, 2019

I wouldn’t know an overpolished watch from an unpolished watch. Nor would I know what reluming looks like. Nor would I know who to DM for advice. So as a novice collector it would help if someone politely commented on the thread and asked the seller to clarify.

Likewise if I was selling a watch and I had mistakenly described it, I’d be happy to be corrected by an expert.

I think this would ensure that sales are moderated to some extent which would over time improve confidence in the forums marketplace.

Observer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.