Forums Latest Members

Private sales...member comments.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 15, 2018

Part of this and the reason that we want to be notified rather than people just posting replies is that there are cases often where something is brought to our attention and we can remove the listing immediately to stop someone making a mistake, and if it can be reinstated with appropriate changes to make it accurate we can do that and talk to the seller about ensuring accuracy is maintained in the future.

Just commenting on an item doesn't bring it to people's attention or warn anyone, especially if its below a few bumps as it often is as potential buyers simply won't scroll down that far, so you're not actually helping in that respect while at the same time you're bumping that listing up the latest threads list and making it more visible for the seller.

Typically when someone reports a listing or PMs us about one, if its significant or even could be significant we will just immediately remove it from view as a precaution and then investigate, sometimes sellers don't like that but we're a collector and enthusiast forum, not a seller and dealer forum so we'll always try to protect buyers as a priority.

cicindela, robinhook, Rman and 7 others like this.
  2. padders Oooo subtitles! Mar 16, 2018

The grey area here is factual inaccuracies which on the surface are trivial but could be important to certain buyers. I am thinking of things like incorrect watch dates, not important in isolation but if the buyer is looking for a birth year watch it can matter to them. In the past I have posted on listings with impossible or unlikely seller date guesses but I realise that this is probably not allowed. I guess a pm to the seller is appropriate but if the seller ignores the pm would feel rather silly to contact a mod with a ‘Sir, Sir, Perkins claims his XXXX is from 1966 when in fact that movement wasn’t released until 1968.’

Edited Mar 16, 2018
  3. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Mar 16, 2018

Blimey @padders!:eek: You wanna keep an eye on that 'fakkin' Perkins! He sounds a bit dodgy to me mate???::confused2::

4. padders Oooo subtitles! Mar 16, 2018

I thought your name was Perkins? No? My mistake :)

nonuffinkbloke likes this.
  5. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Mar 16, 2018

Actually @padders your post did jog my memory about a dodgy chap I knew years ago in London by the name of Perkins. He was always trying to get 'something for nothing'.

When I was a young apprentice Bricklayer in the 1970's he said to me;

"Hello Jonathan... How is it going at work??? We were wondering if you would like you to come around for Sunday lunch next week... Oh and...bring your tools as we have an open fire place in the dining room that needs 'bricking up. It'll only take you half hour before lunch!"

I said "Really mate???... I've got a better idea! You pay me what I charge to 'brick up' a fire place, I'll buy my own lunch and put the rest in the bank!:D
    He was a 'Perkins' as well Padders.:D

KingCrouchy and cicindela like this.
  6. Faz Mar 16, 2018

Hi Georgie

And I knew the was no ill thought behind your comment.

Cheers

cicindela and Georgieboy58 like this.
  7. Faz Mar 16, 2018

I can't agree more on your pertinent response. Exactly what I had in mind when I ventured in starting this thread...thanks

cicindela likes this.
  8. Faz Mar 16, 2018

And to be fair to Georgie, as I said in my reply to him, I was convinced the was no ill intent. I was trying to bring to light that the slight "let down" disclosed by a seller can be inadvertently exacerbated by what seems to be an innofensive comment.

Cheers

9. Faz Mar 16, 2018

:thumbsup: My feelings exactly...

What I appreciate most on this forum is the membership's ability to self moderate. The moderators then have more room to contribute.

cicindela and kov like this.
  10. Faz Mar 16, 2018

I like it when members vouch for the seller and the product sold here on the OF. I couldn't see this would work on other forums. We have a tight community it seems and nothing wrong in egging on the sale of a watch many of us would buy...

cicindela likes this.
  11. Faz Mar 16, 2018

I love it!

cicindela likes this.
  12. padders Oooo subtitles! Mar 16, 2018

6 in a row Faz? Seriously? You can multiple quote pretty easily you know.

13. Faz Mar 16, 2018

I sense a bit of irony here and it's quite funny, but the way this forum is managed and moderated is just about perfect IMO..Sometimes there is good to "...remember, this is not a democracy..". The OF is a perfect example.

cicindela likes this.
  14. Faz Mar 16, 2018

8 now...I like to respond as I read...keeps it fresh

cicindela likes this.
  15. padders Oooo subtitles! Mar 16, 2018

Not for the rest of us it don't lol.

16. Faz Mar 16, 2018

cicindela likes this.
  17. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Mar 16, 2018

And...... we’re off topic ::rimshot::

kov likes this.
  18. Faz Mar 16, 2018

IMG_0449.GIF Sorry, I took the bait...my bad...deleted..

Edited Mar 16, 2018
  19. WhatYourWatchSay Mar 16, 2018

I just started selling here and only have one listing up but I hope that if there was an issue with the watch or my description that a more knowledgeable member would let me know. Not just because I don't want to make a mistake with the listing or misrepresent the watch but also I don't want to look foolish ::shy::

20. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 16, 2018

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.