Forums Latest Members
  1. Dan S Feb 14, 2020

This was brought to an NAWCC get-together. I'm not really a PW guy, but it's such a fine specimen, I'm thinking seriously about adding it to the collection. Just posting for general enjoyment.

patek1.jpg patek3.jpg patek2.jpg

2. wsfarrell Feb 14, 2020

Fairly clean. :)

Dan S likes this.
  3. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Feb 14, 2020

We need a drooling emoji

DaveK, Gav1967 and Dan S like this.
  4. Walrus Feb 14, 2020

That is amazing. The movement is crazy like a work of art, well it is, what year is that Dan it may be written but I can’t tell

Dan S and DaveK like this.
  5. Dan S Feb 14, 2020

I would guess turn of the century-ish, but I don't really know.

Walrus likes this.
  6. Walrus Feb 14, 2020

Well I’m not a pocket watch guy either I do have one which belonged to a family member but looking at that I certainly understand your desire to obtain as she is beautiful

Dan S likes this.
  7. ATWG Feb 14, 2020

Absolutely, gorgeous!

Dan S likes this.
  8. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 14, 2020

9. amcclell Feb 14, 2020

Stunning - I have a 1904 Omega and a 1914 plain Waltham. My grail is a 23 jewel, adjusted Waltham Vanguard with power reserve indicator. What is the asking price, if you dont mind me asking?

DaveK and Dan S like this.
  10. Dan S Feb 14, 2020

He is asking $4k USD, which doesn't seem outrageous at first glance, although I haven't really dug into the research.

11. verithingeoff Feb 14, 2020

Hi Dan
    I have a Patek Philippe PW from 1909 [I also have an extract from archives].
    The movement is similar and I paid a little more than $4000USD for mine.
    Some pics for comparison
    IMG_1702.JPG IMG_3612.JPG

Foo2rama, DaveK and Mad Dog like this.
  12. Dan S Feb 14, 2020

Many thanks Geoff, that's a real beauty, and incredibly helpful information. It definitely appears to be a very similar movement, and interestingly also double-branded. And if the 155,xxx serial is from 1909, then my turn-of-the-century guess for 106,xxx may not be too far off.

Very fun to have these two well-preserved pieces together in the same thread, and to see both the similarities and variations.

13. Evitzee Feb 14, 2020

I don't think the watch is double branded, just engraved for the buyer with his name and city. Patek Philippe did this for good customers.

Dan S likes this.
  14. Dan S Feb 14, 2020

I see, so A. Newsalt is simply the name of the customer. That makes perfect sense in retrospect, and explains why the dial is pure PP. :oops:

15. Dan S Feb 14, 2020

Adolph Newsalt. From 1897, perhaps right around the time he received the watch.

[​IMG]

Edited Feb 14, 2020
  16. verithingeoff Feb 14, 2020

Just to ad a bit more info here's the extract, it shows that Patek shipped just the movement to the customer who then provided the case
    IMG_1088.jpg

Readiness77, DaveK and Dan S like this.
  17. Dan S Feb 14, 2020

https://www.daytonhistorybooks.com/page/page/1606711.htm

ADOLPH NEWSALT, [pages 312-315] the leading jeweler, of Dayton, Ohio, and owner of one of the finest establishments of the kind in the state of Ohio, if not in the entire west, was born in Prussia, December 25, 1848. The father of Mr. Newsalt died in Germany, and in 1857, with his mother, Adolph came to the United States, landing in New York. For a time after reaching this country he attended school in the city of New York, and then went to La Crosse, Wis., situated on the east bank of the Mississippi river, and there in 1860 he began an apprenticeship at the jeweler's trade, serving four years. In 1864 he came to Dayton, his mother having, in 1860, removed to this city from Saint Louis. Upon reaching Dayton he went to work in the jewelry store of Henry Kline, under the Phillips house. He remained with Mr. Kline for one year, at the end of which period he went to Springfield, Ohio, and there worked for A. Aaron, a jeweler, for somewhat more than a year. He had now accumulated a little over $300, and returning to Dayton he at once established himself in the jewelry business on a very small scale on Fifth street. His business was at first so small that he was able to do all of his work himself, and this was the case for about two years; but it was a frequent experience for him to be at work at his bench as late as one or two o'clock in the morning.

By degrees his business so increased that he was at length compelled to move into larger quarters. This necessity was forced upon him at several different times, his business extending year by year, until at length he prevailed upon Mr. John Bosler to tear down his little house on Fifth street and erect for him upon its site a large store room in which he remained for fifteen years. Upon the completion of the Davies building at Fourth and Main streets, Mr. Newsalt removed into his present quarters, which were designed especially for his business, he having leased the room in which he is now located prior to the completion of the building,

The establishment is one of the most complete and best designed in the country, and it is no uncommon thing for parties to come from great distances, as from Saint Louis and other points, to pattern after it in their respective homes. It covers a space 32x75 feet in size, with a basement of the same dimensions underneath. The entire fronts, on both Main and Fourth streets, are of glass, thus making it one of the finest show rooms to be found. Mr. Newsalt employs twenty men the year round, and in business seasons adds to his force as occasion requires.

Mr. Newsalt was married in Dayton, November 10, 1870, to Sarah Wise, formerly from Paducah, Ky. One son has been born to this marriage, T. A. Newsalt, who was educated at Poughkeepsie, N. Y., and who is now in his father's establishment as salesman, an excellent position in which to gain a full knowledge of the business and of the trade of jeweler. Mr. Newsalt is, in point of fact and in the best sense of the word, a self-made man, and his career should be the means of encouraging the young men of this day to be satisfied with small beginnings.

KingCrouchy, Shabbaz and DaveK like this.
  18. Dan S Feb 14, 2020

Awesome that it confirms the hands and everything for you! I love the two color dial on yours BTW.

This makes me interested in an Extract on the OP watch, since the dust-cover is seemingly engraved by PP to match the movement.

Edited Feb 14, 2020
  19. Dan S Feb 14, 2020

So after discovering that A. Newsalt was a jeweler, this makes things a bit more ambiguous. Could be that it was made for him personally, or for the store, I suppose. ::book::

20. verithingeoff Feb 14, 2020

The case back inner is engraved with the jewellers name and the serial number, the dust cover has the name Howard Ketcham on the outside, on the inside [very difficult to photograph as it's engine turned and very shiny!] says 18K and the serial number, a couple more pics
    IMG_2795.JPG IMG_2793.JPG IMG_2792.JPG

Dan S and DaveK like this.