Forums Latest Members

Pressure test every time the watch is opened?

1. saulgoodman Sep 8, 2019

I'm sure this has been asked and answered, but I couldn't find anything through a weak attempt at searching. I read yesterday that a watch should be pressure tested for proper water resistance every time it is opened. This got me to thinking, is this really necessary? I have had the battery changed on my SMP 300 2264.50 several times and never thought about doing this. I use the watch as a summer beater and it gets dunked regularly in pools, while at the beach, and snorkeling. Do I need to think about having it pressure tested, or is this a thing only if you want to use the watch to the limits of the water resistance rating?

I know there are several watch makers out there who will have the answer. Thanks in advance!

2. Canuck Sep 8, 2019

The water resistance of watches, and the disappointment when one leaks is a recurring topic on this message board. We never see posts commenting about “why does my watch not leak”. Continue doing as you do, and get back to us when it finally leaks.

3. krisztian_andre Sep 8, 2019

Yes if cost of testing < probablity of failing * projected cost of repair + value of peace of mind.

4. Linzer Sep 8, 2019

@saulgoodman I thought you mostly wear this watch :D What is it BTW?
    thbKuB3.png

saulgoodman likes this.
  5. Ville_W Sep 8, 2019

If the seal is fresh the watch will be okay after opened. But how do you know? And how do you know that the watchmaker didn’t screw up the seal when closing the watch? Better play safe and test every time.

6. squarelug Sep 8, 2019

Depends what you're using it for. Remember, pressure increases almost exponentially until about 15 meters of depth (or something like that, I'm forgetting my free diving lessons). So, if scuba or free diving EVERY TIME.

7. squarelug Sep 8, 2019

If just swimming at the surface or washing dishes lol not so much.

8. saulgoodman Sep 8, 2019

Linzer likes this.
  9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 8, 2019

There are really two questions to address here...

One is more about disturbing the seal when you open the watch, and yes this can result in a seal that inadvertently gets pinched or otherwise damaged, so it's good practice for any competent watchmaker to pressure test the watch after opening. It's something I do every time I open a watch.

The second is more about regular testing, and how a watch leaks. Omega recommends pressure testing once per year, and if you are regularly getting the watch wet, that would be my advice also. The seals in these watches will fail eventually, and when they do it won't really matter what depth you go to - on a serious dive or just a dip in the pool will have the same result.

Cheers, Al

10. BlackTulip Sep 8, 2019

If the pressure test fails won't water get into the watch? Or do you always pressure test case-only first?

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 8, 2019

I use a dry tester before ever using one with water...

BlackTulip likes this.
  12. saulgoodman Sep 8, 2019

What you say makes sense. I have probably been lucky up to now. If you don't mind my asking, how much is a watchmaker likely to ask for just a quick pressure test?

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 8, 2019

No idea where you are or what watchmakers around you may charge for something, so you will need to ask them yourself.

14. Duckie Sep 8, 2019

This question has been answered very well in this thread.
    All I can add is that in my experience lesser watches have been thrown away because of a leak.
    High grade dive watches have been damaged because of a leak from exposure to swimming, showering, or hot tubs due to a failure.
    Some are repaired under warranty.
    Some are repaired at the owners expense.
    Others are thrown into the bottom of a drawer and written off as completely lost causes and don't see the light of day for years at a time.

One can't predict the failure point just by looking at the watch.
    The risk is 100% with the owner when it's out of warranty.

15. Walrus Sep 8, 2019

When you first buy a watch, of the used sort, even if it’s from a reputable source is it a good idea to have it pressure tested. Worst I deal with is humidity and hand washing but I’d like to know a newly purchased watch is up to snuff. Especially if your dropping a couple K

16. saulgoodman Sep 8, 2019

I'm in the SE USA. There has to be a ballpark figure out there. Anyone? What do you guys pay for pressure testing?

17. alam Sep 8, 2019

I have no first hand experience with this but others have claimed costs as low as $8 from watch repair booths in malls to $45 from real watchmakers. Not sure I'd take any of my watches to the watch repair booth in the mall for anything but the real cost to pressure test will be much lower than a repair due to damage caused by a leak.

:)

lucky.PNG
  18. Gruesome Sep 8, 2019

Pressure increases linearly with depth under water. 1m=0.1 additional atmosphere, 5m=0.5 atmospheres, 10m=1 extra atmosphere, 20m=2 atmospheres, 100m=10 atmospheres, 200m=20 atmospheres.

wagudc likes this.
  19. tzachi Sep 8, 2019

My pro watchmaker (independent) always pressure test a diver after opening it , as a habit.
    The main diff : its done using the dry machine, unlike after full service when its done with the movement out .

20. Ville_W Sep 8, 2019

Right done the risk is low. If the watch isn’t tight it will have air over pressure that prevents water entering