Forums Latest Members

Potential Watch Issue (Hour Hand)

1. mstasoff Mar 3, 2021

I was gifted a Speedmaster Moonwatch (Sapphire) this year as a wedding gift. The watch is new, I was there for the purchase, bought it from a certified jeweller, received the massive box, and the whole nine yards.

I love the watch but on a couple occasions, and I can't pinpoint it, I've noticed that all of a sudden the time is off by hours. Typically the minute hand is fine but the hour hand will be off by hours.

Ex: Just now at 6:35pm I realized the watch was reading 10:35pm.

In terms of winding, I found that winding every hours lead to a seconds increasing at a rate of about 5 sec per day, and this typically decreased when I went to a 30-48hr window. 48 came to close to the reserve being depleted so I've stuck w/ 30 hours (give or take) for the last few weeks.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Donn Chambers Mar 3, 2021

Did this only occur after you had to reset the time after the watch came to a complete stop? I ask, because I’ve often looked at my watch after I’ve reset it and realize it is 5 minutes off (or 1 hour, or some multiple of either). I always know it’s a “D’uh” moment and just reset it. This is a pretty common user problem. :)

But if that is not the problem and you are absolutely certain it was at the proper time before you noticed the shift, then you need to send it back to Omega for warranty service, because something is wrong.

Dan S and DSotW like this.
  3. mstasoff Mar 3, 2021

This is the thing I can't be sure of. A part of me is thing it's human error on my part where I've lost track of when I should be winding it, have woken up, wound it and just not realized it was off.

I will say though that anytime I've wound it the second hand has always been moving. I know this because I use the WatchTracker app when winding it so I know the second hand is moving.

4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 3, 2021

Winding a manual watch should be a habit and something you do almost without thinking about it.

If you wear it every day:

1 - Check that it's on the correct time and that the crown is fully in.

2 - Wind it when you put it on every morning.

3 - Do not play with the crown or wind it at any other time.

4 - Report back if you notice anything wrong.

maskwp and DSotW like this.
  5. DSotW Mar 3, 2021

If you can, make it your daily wearer for a week, winding each morning (as already mentioned). If the problem doesn't repeat, then it is likely operator error.

6. mstasoff Mar 3, 2021

Thanks so much. I do wear it everyday, and am going back to a daily winding schedule. Going to be a lot more deliberate about checking the time throughout the day.

Will report back.

7. Rado63 Mar 3, 2021

Wind it the same time once a day and then watch it for a week. If continues to be a problem, then send in for service.

Foo2rama likes this.
  8. ExpiredWatchdog Mar 4, 2021

Just keep wearing it for a month or two. I really doubt there's a problem with it, but repeated observation bring it to light. It's not uncommon for a new watch to change rates during the first week or more, but less so with a quality watch like Omega.

I can't tell you how many times I've found a recently set watch to be off by a minute or five minutes or an hour. Easy to do.