Forums Latest Members

Omega Aqua Terra Caliber 8900 Crown & Hour Hand Adjustment Issue

1. ajaxXx Mar 12, 2023

Hello everybody,

I have an Omega Aqua Terra with Caliber 8900. Sometimes, when I move the crown to its first position (hour hand changing position), the crown doesn't move all the way, it moves half the way. Trying to set the hour hand with that half position makes the hour hand jump forth and back from its current positions. It's like the hour hand is trying to make the jump to the next position but failing and setting itself back to its original position.

Pulling the crown again, and setting it rightly to its first position fixes the issue, and the hour hand can be changed properly.

It doesn't happen all the time, but at specific moments.

What kind of issue is this? Do I need to send my watch for service?

Thanks.

2. Gerry73 Mar 12, 2023

This calibre has an hour adjust at the halfway point as you pull the crown out having unscrewed it. It's perfectly fine as you describe it. I move the hour hand at this point to change the date. It requires a certain amount of turn to reach the next hour point. It may be that you're not turning the crown enough. Pulled fully out the minute hand will change. The hour change is a feature useful when travelling and that's the logic behind it. Hope this helps. If you weren't aware of the hour jump function this explains it. Gerry

NB: your crown needs to be unscrewed before pulling it out. The Globemaster doesn't screw in.

Edited Mar 12, 2023
  3. Gerry73 Mar 12, 2023

This uses a Globemaster but the movement is the same. If this isn't what explains your issue, then you might need a service.

4. Annapolis Mar 12, 2023

I think the OP is explaining that he understands the jump-hour position, but that his AT crown/stem has some issue causing it to stick halfway to that position?—and that it’s acting weirdly in that intermediate position?

This definitely sounds like an issue requiring an Omega service. The good news is that, according to my AD, the 8-week service times of the Covid era are down to 4 weeks nowadays.

ajaxXx likes this.
  5. ajaxXx Mar 12, 2023

Annapolis is correct. I've owned this piece for about 3 years, so I know how the crown works.

I guess it needs to go to service.

Annapolis likes this.