Forums Latest Members
  1. Varnado Mar 27, 2019

Regardless of what the starting bid is or where it ultimately ends up, the buyer will still be paying a premium north of 25% above hammer, so the argument would be if it would have been better to take a firm 120k (for example) from a private buyer or roll the dice and expect a bid higher than 120k at auction. I have no idea if the OP negotiated a better deal from the auction house than having to pay them a sellers premium of 15%.

In essence, if the watch hammers at 115k, the seller would net 100k and the buyer would be paying 143k. Now you know why it pays to own an auction house. 43k pure profit on one watch. Again, I think it's a losers game unless the auction house can get that crazy hammer price that would have otherwise been unachievable privately.

nonuffinkbloke and Spacefruit like this.
  2. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Mar 27, 2019

I'm with your argument regarding auctions. I do believe, sellers can get as low as 1~2% on high value items. It all depends on the value and the watch. In this case, I personally think its totally worth the roll, from the sellers perspective ... but in more common watches maybe not in top condition, I would agree a private sale at a fair price is always better for both parties.

Edit : @Strope ... GLWS, its a total beaut, I think you did well to list it with these guys...I hope we see more records broken :)

Edited Mar 27, 2019
    Strope likes this.
  3. OMEGuy Mar 27, 2019

Don't know if that's important, but I just feel I owe you the comment, that now that I can see the new pictures, the hands look genuine to me.

Good luck with the sale! :)

Strope likes this.
  4. Screwbacks Mar 27, 2019

it's very rare we see this kind of speedy just pop up. and suddenly, it's now on the bid block. realistically, it's gonna hit a hammer price between $150-200k. my 2cents.

Strope likes this.
  5. boogedyboo Mar 27, 2019

If the private offers were just north of 100K, rolling the dice seems more enticing. Now a private offer of 150 to 175K would be something to think about.

Bumper and Strope like this.
  6. Strope Mar 27, 2019

Yes, it would be cool to get one as a commemoration. I have been falling more and more in love with the Speedmaster so I am considering buying a slightly cheaper one for my self.

I have been browsing a lot of different threads here at the forum and there is a lot of interresting things here. I'll be sure to stay around:thumbsup:

7. JanV Mar 27, 2019

My thoughts exactly, sorry to find out this may just be “another” attempt to bump sales and without any truthful intentions in how this thread was created.

Just getting tired of all this marketing nonsense...

Just post that you have a watch for auction in Bukowskis, and let it go.

Don’t post this here with wrong intentions or get people here giving you advice you obviously have not even needed.

Acts like this will eventually make members passive in providing their expertise and help for someone WHO TRULY needs it in the future. :whipped:

Edited Mar 27, 2019
    chronoboy64, nalexi and Biezmez like this.
  8. Boony Mar 27, 2019

Nice one. Cool person to buy it originally. Get the story together to add to the value. Enjoy the windfall

Strope likes this.
  9. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Mar 27, 2019

10. Strope Mar 27, 2019

You are allowed to believe what you want, but everything I have posted here has been the truth. Things have gone really fast and it has been a fun ride. Obviously I couldn't follow every single advice I have received, but use them to steer me in the right direction. The advice I mainly followed was 1. don't let just anyone open it, and 2. sell it at auction.
    Bukowski's is located in Stockholm and is only a plane ride away, so shipping/transport doesn' have to take that long.

11. Varnado Mar 27, 2019

Everyplace in the world is only a plane ride away..

Your watch was listed for auction on the 26th. Your initial post was listed as a "drawer find" on the 23rd.
    In 72 hours you were able to:

Take pics, Join the Omega Forum and upload them with your story for us to ooh and ahh..

Then:
    Contact an auction house.
    Send photographs
    Negotiate a contract for sale
    Book/Buy a plane ticket
    Fly to Stockholm
    Hand over the watch and sign the contracts
    Fly back home
    Have them change the bracelet to a strap, clean the watch and photograph it.
    Then, upload the photos, have them list the watch for sale with description.

Keep in mind that the 23rd was a Saturday and the 24th was a Sunday and no auction houses are open on the weekend.

Listen, I dont care what anyone on this forum thinks or if they care to comment or remain silent.
    This was an absolute fake post. This watch was never intended to be for sale privately or to inquire as to authenticity.
    This was a calculated post, by a new member with no previous posts, to stir up interest and hype for an auction that was already in motion.

I would never bid on this watch because of the shady back door nonsense surrounding the OP.
    Good for Spacefruit or anyone else looking to bid because you now have one less buyer in the mix..

kov, zebion, smitty190373 and 17 others like this.
  12. OMEGuy Mar 27, 2019

While I can understand why somebody might think this thread could be a marketing strategy, I personally didn't have the feeling it is the case here.

sdre, Lucasssssss, repoman and 4 others like this.
  13. Varnado Mar 27, 2019

I would ask anybody here who has ever entered a watch into auction if they were able to do so 48 hours before going live...
    The watch needs to be thoroughly vetted. Serial numbers, dial, bezel, radium, etc..
    I recently had a watch sent to an auction house that completely disassembled the watch down to the base plate.
    I had never seen anything like it. The watch was very rare and they needed to check every single part was original before listing it.

There is NO WAY this watch made it from drawer to auction in 2-4 days in another country. No way..

ndgal, BlueBoy and JanV like this.
  14. Cad290 Mar 27, 2019

I also find it very hard to believe that all that was done in such a short time frame, although I have never auctioned a watch with Bukowskis, and I suppose there is a chance they did a rush job because it is a high value watch. But I doubt it. I wouldn’t let it stop me from bidding though, if I were in the market for such a piece, and I wish good luck to the OP with the auction. I hope you negotiated a sellers premium below 4%

15. OMEGuy Mar 27, 2019

Have a look at the file names of the OP's first pictures. They were taken on March 23, 2019.

sdre, nalexi, Cad290 and 1 other person like this.
  16. w154 Mar 27, 2019

All this may (or may not) be true, but as a rejected-buyer it just comes across as sour grapes on your part. Even if there’s nothing vindictive I still think it’s out of order.

sdre, Lucasssssss, mydeafcat and 5 others like this.
  17. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Mar 27, 2019

@Strope

Did you talk to all three auction houses?

Why this auction house over Christie's or Phillips?

I wish you and your family the best on the auction.

heavenscloud likes this.
  18. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Mar 27, 2019

Well I don’t care what the OP motives are, I am glad he posted and glad to be able to read the story and see the watch.

19. Varnado Mar 27, 2019

I knew someone was going to call sour grapes on my post..

Absolutely not. I wasn't assured of being the high private buyer to begin with, I just wished it was a legit post with a real opportunity to buy it and not another shim sham barn find post that was rigged from the start.

My offer would have been 125k if anyone was interested, but surely there were others than might have offered more so I wouldn't have had sour grapes if I couldn't pay top offer. I am only pissed at the way this went down like a shady back room deal that was rigged.

20. Varnado Mar 27, 2019

Spacefruit: You are happy because you can now have a shot to buy it. The story IMO is BS and was BS from the very first line..