Forums Latest Members

Polishing bracelet at home... easy

1. ducatiti Sep 5, 2019

So I've had my AT for four years now. Lots here hate the polished center links but I actually like it. Accumulated minor scratches over the years on the polished and brushed parts. I was able to remove most if not all of them in fifteen minutes or less. All I used are the following: Mother's metal polisher (automotive product), Q-Tip, and 3M Scotchbrite pad (household dishwashing item).. That's it!

I used the Mother's with Q-tip to polish away the scratches on the center links for a mirror finish. Taped up the polished section a portion at a time, and rubbed the Scotchbrite pad to brush away the scratches while maintaining the OEM look. I didn't have to do this on all the links, only the ones with the scratches.

Polish away and at your own risk! :)

IMG_3688.jpg IMG_3687.jpg IMG_3686.jpg IMG_3684.jpg IMG_3683.jpg IMG_3682.jpg IMG_3681.jpg IMG_3680.jpg
    Wetworks likes this.
  2. Ville_W Sep 5, 2019

You are a brave man;) I do some watchmaking myself but not brave to touch factory brushed surfaces.

3. ducatiti Sep 5, 2019

My brushed links weren't that bad, I probably only did like 6 pieces the most. Not prominent scratches but rather portions with little shiny streaks. I'm won't be due for a service in 5 years or so, so they will eventually make it better.

10 years now the norm for service interval, as my AD suggested at the time of purchase?

4. pianomankd Sep 5, 2019

Links look great man!!

Where'd you get that brown leather strap? It's gorgeous.

5. wsfarrell Sep 5, 2019

Nice work! Something that will make it easier in the future, especially if you move to a powered buffer, is polyimide tape. Comes in many widths and is highly abrasion-resistant. And it's always good to see folks using Mother's Mag polish. Remember: "There's no shine like Mother's!"

6. ducatiti Sep 5, 2019

Just a cheap cowhide with alligator pattern from eBay. $30. I just ordered a tan strap with tan stitches that may be bit better quality, but for the same price lol. Bob Marino from Germany is the new one I'm waiting for. I really like the OEM Barenia the Bob's is the closest one I've seen but I went with the tan stitching instead of white.

Edited Sep 6, 2019