Forums Latest Members

PLEASE stop posting/bumping several items for sale on the same day!

1. Dan S Feb 8, 2020

How about a “move this POS to eBay” function? :D

Rman, efauser and janice&fred like this.
  2. padders Oooo subtitles! Feb 8, 2020

Anything by Jose or anything else that gets bumped for more than 3 months. If it takes that long it just wasn’t meant to be.

3. JwRosenthal Feb 8, 2020

Anything will sell, if priced right. Price and expectations need to be adjusted- and dropping it $10 off isn’t going to be the tipping point.

janice&fred, Sidnos and efauser like this.
  4. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Feb 8, 2020

I'm fine with that.

padders likes this.
  5. Rman Feb 8, 2020

I knew this idea had legs.

6. Sidnos Feb 9, 2020

Exactly this. Like many I keep an eye on the sales threads and amazes me how long some people are happy to bump a post along without significant changes to price.
    If you aren’t that bothered about selling it why bother listing it then continuously bumping it?
    fair enough dip your toe in, if someone wants it at the price you’ll know soon enough.... 6 plus months of “weekend bumps” or threats to send off to eBay surely tells you something?

JwRosenthal and Davidt like this.
  7. cristos71 Feb 9, 2020

Maybe a view limiter word work...if an item hits 10000 views without being sold then it's bye-bye time? ::popcorn::

8. JwRosenthal Feb 9, 2020

This is the thing- I hear comments like “just waiting for the right buyer”, or “market is soft right now- summer slump”- total BS. Yes there are fluctuations but I’m willing to bet that at least 75% of the viewers on this forum check the sales daily and if there is a truly good deal it’s gone within a day.
    I am all for trying to see what the market will bear- sure, post at top dollar and see if someone bites. But after a week, start being realIstic, otherwise put it back in your watch box as you obviously didn’t want to sell it that badly.
    This isn’t eBay- the audience here is a group of collectors who are very discriminating- but even collectors will snatch up a clapped out overpolished redialed POS if it’s a steal and can be used for parts.
    If you want it gone- make it gone.

We have consignment shops locally that operate on a model of pricing with dates on the tags that state when the price will drop by 25%, then 50%, then 75%....then if it’s not sold be the last date, the seller must come pick up the item- it has timed out in the shop.
    I know this isn’t a consignment environment but the dating of “must be sold by” may be a good model.

Edited Feb 9, 2020
    Sidnos likes this.
  9. JwRosenthal Feb 9, 2020

And as a side note- we do have members that are realistic, they will post at what I think is a little high by not crazy, and weekly, will drop it substantially- and those sellers always sell- sometimes at a crazy low price where I kick myself as if I has seen the last price drop fast enough.... that’s the way you get it gone.

Sidnos likes this.
  10. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 9, 2020

Make it a minimum of $10 off per thousand per bump.

A $7000 watch needs a $70 drop per bump and a $1000 watch needs a $10 drop per bump

No free bumps for 6 months on a overpriced watch anymore ::psy::

UncleBuck and Sidnos like this.
  11. Sidnos Feb 9, 2020

10% per bump sounds better!

12. JwRosenthal Feb 9, 2020

With that formula there are still some on there that would take 20 bumps to come down to reality

STANDY, janice&fred and Sidnos like this.
  13. Faz Feb 9, 2020

Forcing sellers to drop their prices? Not sure about that but how about a maximum amount of bumps? Say 10-15 bumps? That would cure the multi-bumpers and would make each ad good for about 2 weeks for daily bumpers.

After which the ad will still be there but become unbumpable. The seller gets a chance to get the price he wants, no matter how unrealistic, and we get fresh ads on the first page of the sales forums?

EDIT: To keep track, there would be need to mark each bump with a number I guess. Anybody violating the rule would have their ad deleted? It would also motivate the seller to adjust his price as he's running out of bumps.

Example: "1- Bump' or whatever you want to say AFTER marking it with the number

Edited Feb 9, 2020
    S.H., Dan S, STANDY and 1 other person like this.
  14. JwRosenthal Feb 9, 2020

This sounds good. I agree, should not dictate pricing- that’s up to the seller to realize they need to drop it (which obviously some don’t). But I think there should be a time-out of a few months. But then they can just repost it and start all over I guess.

15. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 9, 2020

This sounds good one page is 20 posts usually so you get 19 bumps

but once you have bumped to a second page you have pretty much bumped a watch into the “What’s wrong with the watch and why hasn’t it sold” zone big time

janice&fred likes this.
  16. Sidnos Feb 9, 2020

Only forced if you wish to bump it....
    tbh I wasn’t being serious, just a comment on the now common situation of the regular bumping of watches that have been there for a long time without serious reconsideration of price...

17. janice&fred Feb 9, 2020

this is about the only solution in the long run. well this plus a maximum set for bumps. I agree the first page on the sales forum is a cluster of bumps and very difficult for legitimate efforts to sell to be seen. Making it necessary to post a new ad periodically might keep things fresh. Stuff should be realistically priced but that's too subjective to be enforced so time-outs for ads might be the solution...if in fact a change need to be made. However since staff hasn't stepped in on these pet peeves then perhaps they have reasons for leaving things as they are.

18. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 9, 2020

Main reason is that to implement some of these ideas, good as they are, would take a lot of time to sort and delete offending threads.

We are all volunteers here.
    gatorcpa

19. janice&fred Feb 9, 2020

oh I wasn't questioning or complaining, merely pointing out that things are this way for a reason.

20. Faz Feb 9, 2020

Or a "3 strikes and your out" thing? Lose your sales forums privileges?