Please help... Tons of questions regarding an Omega Geneve Dynamic...

Hello all,

I recently acquired an Omega Geneve Dynamic Automatic (quickset) day only. The seller was not providing too much of information on the watch and I loved the pictures (and the watch in general) so much, I bought it. Probably it was a stupid thing of me not to ask anything from the guy, as the pics were a bit misleading and so I probably payed too high a price.

The crystal is an original Omega one, but chipped slightly. Is it possible the get rid of the chipping (probably from a not too careful watchmaker removing it in the past)? I cleaned the crystal with the recommended sanding+brasso combo, most of the scratches have gone, but the chipping is still visible.

The strap is an omega leather one, dark blue, slightly discoloured and generally in not too good nick, does anybody still sell Corfam ones? I know, they are leather ones on sale, but I had leather straps in the past and they never seemed to like water, they gone smelly and dry just after two-three soakings.

The watch has got the radial graining so lovely if in good condition, although this one is a bit tired. Somebody polished the back of the watch, so it's shiny and the lettering has more or less completely gone. That's a bit lesser issue though, as it is the back of the watch. Now the question is, is it possible to redo the radial graining anyhow, or should I part with some more money and have it reconditioned? (Bearing in mind, I already spent way too much on the watch with my too eager fingers in the last minutes of the bidding). Or if anybody knows an honest watchmaker doing a good job but not trying to charge the "Omega price' (as a watchmaker did in Leeds - generally cleaning a mechanical watch at his place is £15-20, when he saw what I have the price inflated threefold).

The movement is slightly moving in it's case if I shake the watch, or move it with the crown. Is this normal, or something is lose inside?

And last... Does anybody knows the calibre of the watch?

Thank you very much, and sorry to burden all of you with tons of questions... I'm already a very proud owner of this beauty if I'll get sorted I'll be even prouder 😀)

Gabriel.

And some pictures...

IMG_5415.JPG IMG_5417.JPG IMG_5424.JPG IMG_5426.JPG IMG_5441.JPG

Straps you can get in leather off ebay, just search "omega dynamic strap" and you'll find them, I don't know about corfam though, they all seem to be leather. My recommendation would be to try the bracelet, you can get them in NOS condition for reasonable money, there's one in the UK here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OMEGA-DYN...areParts_SM&hash=item3cbcf701f4#ht_4303wt_986

The bracelet is much better as a long term option that the straps, and fits in the same way.

Crystal wise, I'd just replace it to be honest, Omega plexiglass crystals do not cost a fortune, and it'd make it much cleaner.

I THINK, from memory its a Cal 565 automatic movement, considered one of the best made of all vintage movements.

I'm attaching a PDF document written Desmond (mondodec) from http://omega-constellation-collectors.blogspot.com/ which should explain a lot of your questions and give you some great background info.

Well done for posting EXCELLENT pictures, this is exactly what everyone hopes for every time someone posts a new thread!

This website may earn commission from Ebay sales.
Hi Gabriel. Great entrance! That's a pretty nice watch and worth having serviced so you don't damage anything internally. Ashley covered most everything except that the crystals cost only $30 - $50 in most cases.

Hi Dslo,

Thank you for the swift reply. I have seen the bracelets, but to be honest this 'aereated' strap was one of the things, that caught me eye in the first instance. And the lovely ellipsoid case, and the bulls eye... Well everything really 😀 I saw the leather bands on ebay, for £13 they seem to be a good value, I just hoped, somebody can point me to a corfam, rubber whatever alternative. If not, I've been eyeing the prospect of making one myself from tarpaulin or recycled leather sheets, as I'm reasonably good with sewing and I like to flaf around, ehehe. Thank you for the pdf, very good read. I saw some crystals on ebay again, they were aftermarket ones, will try google if somebody selling the originals.

Anyway, thanks for the comments, keep them coming! 😀

Gabriel

Hi Gabriel. Great entrance! That's a pretty nice watch and worth having serviced so you don't damage anything internally. Ashley covered most everything except that the crystals cost only $30 - $50 in most cases.

Hi Ulackfocus

Thanks for the info and the kind words....

Anybody knows if I could still consider the watch being waterproof? I do realise it might be difficult to judge from pictures alone, but what are your experiences?

Thanks again,

Gabriel

No, it was only ever rated to bare minimal WR to begin with (splashed and being dipped in the sink etc) don't get it wet if you can avoid it.

dslo > Thanks, that's useful to know, although I never intended to use it for anything else than let's say accidentally have it on whilst having a shower or something. Will not risk it though (recently I nearly killed a 70s Harel watch by forgetting about it being on my wrist in the swimming pool). I suppose the convenience of very precise time keeping and water resistance of a modern watch does not make up for the 'shortcomings' in the design.
ulackfocus> Yeah, forgot to say, I would never intend to harm a watch like this. I would strip to internals of a cheapish old watch and replace it with a quartz movement or something else equally horrible but it would be downright criminal to do anything to an Omega. Also from experience my attempts of fixing a mechanical watch always ends up in disaster (clogged up internals, nasty fingerprints, bent parts and hands, rubbed off numbers from the date wheel, you name it 😀 ). I just thought about revitalising the graining, although this specific sunburst thing I would be unable to do. Vertical sanded lines (again on something cheap and not so valuable to me) I would probably attempt. It's just a shame, that the watchmaker from my hometown, an old, very honest guy is not local to me anymore, as I moved address, across Europe some 1500 miles away

The other things... do you guys think the slight movement of the internals in the case is normal, or something got loose? (now if I could only find a watchmaker, who is just as cheap and reliable as my man in Slovakia...)

Hey Gabriel, welcome to ΩF. Always nice to see more quality photos being posted 👍

You sure the slight movement of the internals isn't just the automatic winding rotor spinning?

Hi, yes, I'm sure. First I thought it to be the rotor itself, but as it moves inside it is not making a sound what I would (probably) expect from a well oiled mechanism, it is more like a ratchet. Also if I grab or tap the crown one can see the whole works moving inside... Hope my ramble makes sense 😀

I would take it to a watchmaker for a proper service in that case, it will cost some money but its worth it long term.

Hi again... Well I think I had to accept the fact, that this will have to be the case. The watch is losing a minute or minute and a half a day at the moment anyway, so a good overhaul would help. I found a guy listing himself on the outskirts of Leeds with over forty years of experience in everything horological. Guessing from the pictures on his website he is my kind of guy. Hopefully his prices are reasonable and he can do the radial graining thing and the crystal replacement too and I will be a happy man! I suppose a forty year old watch needs TLC now and then anyway...

Trev>> thank you for the kind words 😉

I went to this watchmaker, he took it apart in no time and would have fixed it cheaply, but... Unfortunately the movement is rusty from some water seeping in via the crown tube, or whatever it is called. I suppose that answers my question about it being waterproof (or not). Now the guy quoted a ridiculously high price for the cleaning and he made the whole operation sound like crucial, life saving and pain in the arse for him. Now I do believe, a rusty movement is not a great thing, but is this really such a BIG deal and such a hard work, or the guy wanted me to part with some very good money? Sorry, these questions might be completely silly, I just don't know anything about these things 🙁

Thank you again for your input guys....

Trev>> thank you for the kind words 😉

I went to this watchmaker, he took it apart in no time and would have fixed it cheaply, but... Unfortunately the movement is rusty from some water seeping in via the crown tube, or whatever it is called. I suppose that answers my question about it being waterproof (or not). Now the guy quoted a ridiculously high price for the cleaning and he made the whole operation sound like crucial, life saving and pain in the arse for him. Now I do believe, a rusty movement is not a great thing, but is this really such a BIG deal and such a hard work, or the guy wanted me to part with some very good money? Sorry, these questions might be completely silly, I just don't know anything about these things 🙁

Thank you again for your input guys....
Well doing a full rebuild of the rust damaged movement in my Submariner was $1,700 mostly for rare, NOS parts. How much did he quote you for it?

Now the guy quoted a ridiculously high price for the cleaning and he made the whole operation sound like crucial, life saving and pain in the arse for him. Now I do believe, a rusty movement is not a great thing, but is this really such a BIG deal and such a hard work, or the guy wanted me to part with some very good money?

A lot of watchmakers will chase away customers with rusted movement by quoting very high prices. This is because the work is either very labor intensive or the parts are difficult to source. The work that makes financial sense for dsio's Submariner may not make sense for an Omega Dynamic, given the relative values. The labor should be more or less the same to fix both watches.

Many times it would be easier and cheaper to simply find a non-running movement of the same caliber on eBay, then have your watchmaker swap out the rusted parts.

Hope this helps,
gatorcpa

It doesn't sound to good Your looking at maybe a £1000 repair bill for a watch thats worth about £300-£400.

Gatorcpa idea about buying a spares or repairs watch and use use up the internals to fix your watch.

Hi gatorcpa... Well, that makes sense, although £200 is still a bit excessive. I suppose you are wright, if I would have spent £3000 on a watch I would not think this price being over the top. Again if I'd have a Submariner rust would not be an issue 😉 Again, hard to say, I really do not know, what this poor watch has gone through during it's long life (being some ten years older than me 😀 ). I suppose I might post the watch to Slovakia and have it fixed there and if I'm over there for Christmas it will be sort of a nice present for myself having it waiting for me...

wow, I just saw dsio's comment. Compared to that £200 sounds like a bargain 😀 But again I have thought paying £280 for this watch was too much. There you go... This answers all the questions... I will check on ebay if anybody is selling an old clamped out Omega with the same movement.

The thing is, buying another watch for spares or repairs then having your original watch fixed using the parts will cost you more than the £200 the watchmaker quoted.
Knowing now how much he quoted to fix your watch, paying the £200 doesn't sound that bad an option. If you plan to keep it.

200 Quid IMO sounds like a reasonable deal, if you get a sorted movement out of it and intend to keep the watch.

Steve, dsio... You are wright... Shame I did not know about the hidden costs, as I could have had a fully serviced, re-grinded one with a chip-less crystal for that price (or cheaper). But again, one thing is a seller stating a full service and the watch having one. At least I will know it is DEFINITELY fully serviced...