Forums Latest Members

Please Help!! Is this OMEGA Seamaster PROFESSIONAL 200M Cal 1438 Ref 396.1052 genuine or replica?

1. omegavintageman Jul 9, 2020

Hello fellow Omega Enthusiasts,
    Please would someone have a quick look at the photos attached and tell me if this Omega Seamaster professional is genuine or replica. I 'm not bothered about the condition of the watch just need to know if its genuine. Really do appreciate your opinions as always. If you could tell me how much I should be paying for one of these would appreciate it again not bothered about the condition.
    Thanks in advance
    Abs

s-l1600 (11).jpg s-l1601.jpg s-l1602.jpg s-l1603.jpg s-l1604.jpg s-l1605.jpg s-l1606.jpg s-l1607.jpg
  2. killer67 Jul 9, 2020

Looks like an all original 90s midsize pre-Bond SM but cannot see the crown; make sure it is still able to screw down properly. Also make sure the rotatable, clicking bezel works as it should. Be careful to ask because if it needs parts that might be the close to the value of the whole watch.
    As far as price for that condition I would say $300ish

janice&fred and ChiefMark like this.
  3. guwipa Jul 9, 2020

It's a pretty worn down midsize SM 200 quartz and exact it's condition has great Impact on the value of it. Good pieces would range around 500-800€ max to me and this one accordingly much lower.

My advise (if I'm allowed to), leave it and go for a better one. There are many outside in the wild, you only need a bit patience.

omegavintageman and ChiefMark like this.
  4. ChiefMark Jul 9, 2020

I agree with @killer67 that it's a pre-Bond Omega 200. Looks all original. I must be a cheapskate because in that condition I wouldn't buy it, but if I had to I don't think I'd go past $200. Maybe if the movement is perfect and you have a better example of the case, bezel, dial, hands, and bracelet to put it in.

5. janice&fred Jul 9, 2020

I'm tempted to send the OP an economical vintage Omega just so the poor fella can cool his jets for a few days and satisfy what appears to be a serious craving. :)

ZIELSZIEK, DaveK, simomega and 4 others like this.
  6. omegavintageman Jul 9, 2020

Sorry can I just ask what you mean by worn down? What does that mean is that because of the scratches and the paint coming of the hands?

7. omegavintageman Jul 9, 2020

Hello thanks for your lovely comment what does OP mean? And if you could send me one would really appreciate it as I really just need to make a decision. What cost would it be?

janice&fred likes this.
  8. janice&fred Jul 9, 2020

I was teasing you. I think it's great you are so enthusiastic about getting your hands on a vintage Omega so keep looking and posting and you will keep getting opinions on what you find. :D

omegavintageman likes this.
  9. omegavintageman Jul 9, 2020

Thanks for your lovely comments I do really appreciate it just so you know I am paying £397.26 for the Omega Seamaster professional. I have checked the crown does indeed work and screws down properly. Are you able to polish out scratches of stainless steel?
    Thanks
    Abs

10. Stripey Jul 9, 2020

OP means original poster. At least, I have always assumed so ...

11. killer67 Jul 9, 2020

No way that’s really quite high for that condition. Forget about this polishing nonsense; a 30 year old watch should show some proper scars from a live well-lived.
    Keep searching and we’ll guide you along mate

ChiefMark likes this.
  12. guwipa Jul 9, 2020

Hi OP,

Worn down means to me an Overall Pretty bad condition. In this particular case starting with the bezel, being full of foreign DNA, bezel insert scratched (rare to find and Pretty expensive), the lume tip is lost and only restoring the bezel would exceed the total value of the watch.

Take the majority suggestion here serious and walk away from that watch. There are so many better pieces than this one here.

Wish you good hunting :thumbsup:

ChiefMark likes this.
  13. omegavintageman Jul 9, 2020

Hello Guwipa,

Thanks for your advice much appreciated. What do you mean by foreign DNA?

Thanks
    Abs

14. ChiefMark Jul 9, 2020

@omegavintageman Some friendly advice:
    Google is a great resource. You should read up on Omega, it’s history, the watches, evaluating watches, evaluating vintage watches, signs of fake watches, etc.

Think about how and where you want to wear this watch.

Look over all the watches you can find pictures of and see what speaks to you. Look for that watch.

At the moment, you are all over the place. Sports, diver, dress, automatic, quartz...

When you know what you want, look for it. While you look, put aside a little more cash. Instead of jumping on the first ragged-out, beat to hell watch you can find for 300 Euro, be patient and you’ll find a beautiful watch for 600.

Edit: if you pay 400 Euro for that watch you got mugged and left for dead by the side of the road.

Stripey, guwipa and DaveK like this.
  15. ChiefMark Jul 9, 2020

@guwipa was saying that the watch is filthy and covered in another person's dead skin. He just said it in a nice way.

guwipa likes this.
  16. guwipa Jul 9, 2020

As the Chief already stated above. It's never a good indication if a seller doesn't take care of what he is selling and at least give the watch some superficially cleaning. To me an absolute No-Go and not so much for the watch beeing exposed to other people's ::puke:: but more as evidence for the sellers attitude towards his goods.
    That's never a good sign!!

ChiefMark likes this.