Forums Latest Members

Is this vintage Omega Seamaster 600 Genuine or Replica?

1. omegavintageman Jul 7, 2020

Hello fellow vintage Omega enthusiasts,
    Please would someone mind telling me in their opinion if this Omega is a genuine or a replica and if it is genuine do the parts look original and what is the value of this watch. Would really appreciate your feedback. Really happy to have a place where we can go to get a second opinion on these beautiful vintage timepieces.
    Thanks in advance
    Abs

Screenshot_20200707_094505.jpg Screenshot_20200707_094236.jpg Screenshot_20200707_094352.jpg Screenshot_20200707_094413.jpg Screenshot_20200707_094440.jpg Screenshot_20200707_094426.jpg Screenshot_20200707_094257.jpg Screenshot_20200707_094312.jpg
  2. padders Oooo subtitles! Jul 7, 2020

At the very least a redial. The strap if fake and probably the deployant clasp too. It looks like it was gold plated but it has mostly worn off so the case is in very bad shape. To see what model it is check the number on the inside of the caseback but that is a bit academic, it is a dog.

If you want confirmation of the validity of the clasp, show a pic of the underside of the area with the logo.

Value very very little, less than $100 IMO, and that for parts in case someone needs a 601 movement, nothing else is worth saving.

Edited Jul 7, 2020
    omegavintageman likes this.
  3. omegavintageman Jul 7, 2020

Thanks so much for the above comments and glad I did not pay £470 plus postage for the watch please can you give me your opinion on this one aswell

4. omegavintageman Jul 7, 2020

Vintage Omega 1950's Automatic Seamaster is this genuine and is it original parts in your opinion and how much should I pay for it?
    Thanks in advance

s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg s-l1600 (3).jpg s-l1600 (4).jpg s-l1600 (5).jpg s-l1600 (6).jpg s-l1600 (7).jpg s-l1600 (8).jpg s-l1600 (9).jpg s-l1600 (10).jpg s-l1600.jpg
  5. omegavintageman Jul 7, 2020

Thanks again please can you look at the other one I have posted it on here really value your opinion
    Kind Regards
    Abs

6. padders Oooo subtitles! Jul 7, 2020

With respect, this is a community of collectors, not a one stop valuation service. Price info is easily obtained by searching sold listings on ebay. I would also suggest you do some research so you can spot the dogs yourself, there is plenty of info on here. Start with this:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/learn-how-to-fish.52603/

A little basic research (in fact a 5 second google search) would tell you that the 2849 is a calendar reference so this watch is a franken. It does seem to have an original mostly untouched dial* which is rare and unusual for a black dialled dress Omega, they are usually redials. Indeed I would caution a beginner against going anywhere near one. The case is very heavily corroded so most likely wont be waterproof any longer even with new seals. I would buy that one myself at the right money but it would need to be very very cheap since it is a collection of random parts.

*it might be a redial but if it is it is a good one.

Edited Jul 7, 2020
  7. omegavintageman Jul 7, 2020

Hello Padders,

I did notice that the watch reference was indeed a calendar so suspected it was a Franken. However it is a beautiful watch. So its definitely worth buying that's good to hear. What would you pay for it? So it is a genuine Omega though just with a different dial to the reference essentially.

Thanks
    Abs

8. TimeODanaos Jul 7, 2020

Welcome, I like your enthusiasm. But as wiser heads than me have said, you really do need to slow down. Some of this stuff has been around for half a century, and it will still be there in a few weeks time - honest!
    Case in point - do your reading with care. Respectfully, I think you have not quite grasped what Padders has told you on this one. It is not "a genuine Omega", it is a collation of genuine Omega parts. And a calendar reference that doesn't have a date on the front isn't just a "different dial", it is a fundamentally different watch, with a different engine - in this case, cal 501 rather than cal 503. While any collection of decent parts has a market price, I don't think that "it's definitely worth buying ...What would you pay for it?" is quite where our knowledgeable friend was trying to lead you!
    No question it all looks nice, but quite soon with a little more knowledge you might feel regret, and it would be a shame to start your Omega voyage that way. So, not only read up and refine what you like best, but also save up some budget, and you'll end up feeling the rewards! Peace out.

Edited Jul 7, 2020
    HunterJ likes this.