Forums Latest Members

Omega Seamaster Men's Quartz 1982 watch is it genuine or replica please help?

1. omegavintageman Jul 7, 2020

Hello please can anyone tell me if this watch is a genuine Omega or a replica or even a Franken. I am considering purchasing it and before making payment just wanted to get a second opinion from you lovely people I have fell in love with it and really hope it is genuine. Also can you tell me how much I should be paying for it. I really appreciate your help
    Thanks in advance
    Abs

s-l1600.jpg s-l1600KZ103YWX.jpg s-l1601.jpg s-l1602.jpg s-l1603.jpg s-l1604.jpg s-l1605.jpg s-l1606.jpg s-l1607.jpg s-l1608.jpg
  2. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Jul 7, 2020

Hi Abs

when I was newer to collecting I wanted to buy anything and everything I saw. You seem to be after a few styles of watches. I enjoyed the hobby more when I slowed down and researched more on my own before reaching out for help. That way I could critique and grow my own knowledge

enjoy the hunt :thumbsup:

3. omegavintageman Jul 7, 2020

Thanks that is good advice everything I have found so far is a Franken lol...….. I was hoping this one may be original.....

Thanks
    Abs

4. Dor_42 Jul 7, 2020

How many other watches are you currently looking at?
    Want to know how many new threads to expect

omegavintageman likes this.
  5. omegavintageman Jul 7, 2020

Just this one now. Do you know if it genuine or not and is it worth buying?

6. ZIELSZIEK Jul 7, 2020

Hi there.
    Have you tried using the search function on the forum/google? There is plenty of information to be had by using the reference number.
    Also, are you aware of the differences between quartz/automatic? The general consensus is that quartz is less collectible due to a number of reasons, I have nothing against them but it's something to keep in mind. I may be wrong, but examine the left and right sides of the case then make a conclusion. I know nothing about these watches but it seems to me like the case lines were lost during a meeting with a polish wheel.
    Plus, keep in mind that Omega is tougher to collect due to a ton of variables. Start small, like Seiko, read the pinned posts here and definitely do as DaveK said
    Plenty of info to be had here by reading. Good luck!

7. MRC Jul 7, 2020

Looks good to me. Search on Omega 196.0943

If you are buying because you like it and are going to wear it then ignore collectability issues except that you should be paying half of the price for "more desirable" pieces. Be aware that you cannot get the mercury batteries this was designed around and modern replacements don't last much longer than 1 year.

The photos don't show the buckle, if that's because it has lost the original one then you can knock more off the offer price.

8. tumbler Jul 8, 2020

This is a good point to keep in mind. I have a vintage Omega DeVille Quartz and the frequent battery swaps are pretty annoying.

Also, those pictures are quite blurry and the lighting isn't great. If you could get some better pictures, it might help to determine if the watch is legit and/or worth purchasing.

9. MRC Jul 8, 2020

When I had two batteries replaced at the beginning of this year I was offered a "battery for life" deal at 2x the price of replacing once. As the watches were cheap Casio and old Timex I declined. However when I feel it's safe to go mingle with the crowds in town I'll warn them (Timpsons, a UK repair chain) about the battery life and see if the offer still stands. A local Omega AD has the same offer on their website but last time I asked an AD to fit a new battery they said it would cost GBP90 and the watch would be sent away for a few weeks. Thanks but no thanks.