Forums Latest Members

Please evaluate this ref. 1500

1. lonemian Jun 6, 2021

I’m about to buy this vintage rolex for $3200.

The current owner had it serviced at the official CS center so I assume it works fine, but the speckle(or dent?) on the endlink bothers me.

long story short,,, is it a good deal? I have not experience any vintage rolex before so here I beg for experts’ opinion.

Thanks!

F2B41A16-1147-47F1-854C-949DB33EAB1E.jpeg
    Spruce and kip595 like this.
  2. kip595 Jun 6, 2021

Well...in short - possibly?

For a proper evaluation we'd need/want as many pics as possible, especially any available of the movement, caseback, dial closeups, s/n range for dating - basically the whole kitchen including the sink. Looks somewhat polished, though not to the bone like some. Silver dial is the more common variation for these, but that isn't a 'bad' thing, just a factor. Is it a full bracelet? Do the stampings all match within reason to the aprox date of the watch? (I had a '63 production ref. 5500 on what I fully believe was the original bracelet from early '64, for example)

Do you know what was done during service? Who specifically performed it? At a glance the hands look new replacements, but w/o knowing more, I'd hesitate to say for certain.

In any case $3200 for a legitimately serviced 1500 on a genuine Rolex bracelet isn't the worst deal I've ever heard of, but it's not a screaming bargain either - the devil's in the details, especially with vintage Rollie.

Good luck!

Dries likes this.
  3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 6, 2021

If it's a one owner recently serviced by the one who bought it. Buy it...

But as above we need the full story not just the cover of the book.

kip595 likes this.
  4. swaini3 Jun 6, 2021

This ..... I cant comment on the pricing though as I dont know about this reference, but to get the best feedback / opinions, more info is needed.

5. lonemian Jun 7, 2021

The current owner bought it from someone other, and had it serviced at a cs center in 2019. they overhauled the movement and changed hands and glass. I also asked for pics of back side. :)

6. Dries Jun 7, 2021

The bracelet looks very stretched/worn. Given that the case looks to have no scratches at all, that means that the case is refinished (as said above) and/ or that the bracelet wasn’t born with this one.
    I’d certainly want to know serial numbers etc bc I don’t like the lume plots and the t swiss t (the thinking is that if it is an early serial, the dial is later).

7. lonemian Jun 7, 2021

That’s sharp. the seller says its serial no. is 31xxx. does it mean the bracelet is not original to the watch?

8. padders Oooo subtitles! Jun 7, 2021

I have a late 1970s 1500 on a 5.8m serial, the indices are similar but the Swiss made text and lume plots are rather different. No idea what year the OP watch is which might have a bearing on if this is relevant or not. The bracelet here is a UK made Shackman mesh so ignore that, the head is Swiss:

IMG_6384.JPG

Zapatta and Dries like this.
  9. jaguar11 Jun 7, 2021

Does your research show it as being a good deal?

Dries likes this.
  10. lonemian Jun 7, 2021

well, my rough guess was that the cs center won’t let the watch out if it’s a redial...and the possible inconsistency btw the head and bracelet was acceptable to me.