Forums Latest Members

Picked up a resto-project 1675 yesterday on the cheap.

1. Dan S Oct 11, 2022

II.72 caseback is consistent with the 3.3M mid-case serial. Nice that it is still within the period where Rolex stamped the date in the case-back.

janice&fred and watchyouwant like this.
  2. Dan S Oct 11, 2022

Fred, requesting a minor favor. When you have the watch back in your hands, can you check if it hacks. I am trying to put together some data about the switch from non-hacking to hacking in these movements. Based on my notes so far, I predict it will hack.

Linesiders and watch3s like this.
  3. janice&fred Oct 11, 2022

Will do :thumbsup:

Dan S likes this.
  4. johnireland Oct 12, 2022

Hello...glad to hear of the progress made. If you think this will be fodder for new projects, then my thought would to not do anything to the case since it is "original" in its current condition. If you clean it up, that might turn off a perspective buyer. Now that the movement is clean, I'd put it all back together and wear it as the mood hits you, and sell it when that moment comes along. Enjoying a watch just the way you found it, warts and all, is a fun part of the hobby, and often overlooked. Best wishes.

Om3ga321, pkaye6, Larry S and 2 others like this.
  5. janice&fred Oct 12, 2022

Yes John I think you are right. Better to not get too carried away with the resto and leave it as-found as much as possible. :thumbsup:

watch3s likes this.
  6. watch3s Oct 12, 2022

do you set a budget for these resto projects or is it a passion project?

janice&fred likes this.
  7. janice&fred Oct 13, 2022

I probably should set up a budget for some of the more involved resto projects like this one in this thread. I tend to have a cowboy viewpoint of "shoot first ask questions later" when I come across stuff that's super cheap to buy, then find myself stumbling along with no real plan of attack once bought. I guess it might be a good thing as I always do minimal resto work and prefer an as-found condition for the most part, except for fake/redials which I can't tolerate. John's voice of reason in this thread set up the path for this watch and I'll probably do the same with others I've accumulated and pop some here on the market place. My recent ad here for a lady's Rolex was the first watch I've listed for sale in over a year. My crude method of bulk/impulsive buying also explains my overflowing boxes of watches which might be good or bad depending on how one looks at things. I just can't help myself :D

byunjoe and JwRosenthal like this.
  8. JwRosenthal Oct 13, 2022

I think selling off some of the low lying fruit and putting that into the projects will feel really cathartic and it won’t feel like you are outlaying “real” money if it was just transferred from watch money to watch money. I know it’s screwy logic but it seems to work in my brain.

janice&fred likes this.
  9. janice&fred Oct 13, 2022

Logical thinking but I have never been known for that. To me there's no "low lying fruit" when I come across a package deal for cheap. Even worse when we receive boxes of watches from our friends and relatives in the tropical islands. Everything looks like "watch treasure" to me. It's only after this past year I'm willing to sell off stuff and my wife is now the one pushing for that as it's obvious we will never get around to using 75% of what we amass.

On a more pleasant note, the weekend is coming and time for more treasure hunting :D

watch3s, sheepdoll, Davidt and 2 others like this.
  10. S.H. Oct 13, 2022

"Tomorrow, I quit!"

:D

janice&fred likes this.
  11. watch3s Oct 13, 2022

i always check thrift shops when i see them and yard sales etc for these barn yard finds. but where im from in brooklyn, my patients who are pickers tell me a lot of that stuff is long gone. You may end up with a lot of decent parts though at some rate or a sweet everyday gmt. I myself prefer most rolexes in the 5 digit serial so its been tough for me these days looking for bargains. I am curious to see if 14060(m)s will drop back to reasonable prices at some point.

janice&fred likes this.
  12. janice&fred Oct 14, 2022

I'm sure hunting in Brooklyn is much more difficult than in the suburbs as there's more people per square block as competition. The plus side is nowadays there's a lot of money in Brooklyn so chances are great some good stuff is to be found. Do you hit the Chelsea flea markets on the weekends? Usually good pickin there :thumbsup:

watch3s likes this.
  13. watch3s Oct 15, 2022

i do take the occasional peek there but it has been awhile since Ive stopped by. Last time I was there, it was slim pickings.

janice&fred likes this.
  14. spacemission Oct 27, 2022

Any news about this 1675?

15. janice&fred Oct 27, 2022

It's still in NYC and not finished with the movement service. I did buy that genuine service dial my pals found on 47th st. and with that I think I'll call it quits once the thing is back together and running. Thanks for reminding me of this project as I forgot to get back to Dan which I'll do now. :thumbsup:

watch3s likes this.
  16. janice&fred Oct 27, 2022

Last week I spoke to Julio the watchmaker servicing this thing and you're right it's a hacker. :thumbsup:

watch3s and Dan S like this.
  17. watch3s Oct 28, 2022

i look forward to seeing this come together. the guys on 47th street sure do got a lot of parts. was almost tempted to go there for a a 16710 bezel a few weeks back.

rendo and janice&fred like this.
  18. spacemission Oct 30, 2022

:thumbsup:

19. watch3s Nov 26, 2022

happy holidays! how fairs this endeavor?

janice&fred likes this.
  20. johnireland Nov 26, 2022

I hope you have fun wearing it and appreciating it (and the work you've put into it) before letting it get away. But that begs the question, what are you looking at, dreaming of, flirting with...your thoughts on what is next?

janice&fred likes this.