Forums Latest Members

Picked up a resto-project 1675 yesterday on the cheap.

1. janice&fred Jul 6, 2022

Hi Gang! Now that we have settled in to our new locale in sunny St. Petersburg Fla. we are back-on-the-attack and scouring our immediate vicinity for watch treasure!

Picked up this sad sack of a non-runner GMT yesterday and though I would post some pics in case anyone here could help out identifying the dial. The watch is a 3.3 serial which should be well past the gilt era but is sporting this glossy dial with unusual silver-ish script. So, it's gotta be either a redial or a wrong dial for the watch. Has anyone ever seen a glossy dial with silver script and no white gold surrounds? I hesitate to call it gilt as I haven't taken the thing apart yet to verify if the script is actually below the dial finish surface. However when angling the watch and examining with a loop the script does not stand proud of the dial surface.

Anyways here are some crude snapshots of the poor GMT along with a shot of the wife's BMDubya posing in front of the coolest Art Deco building I have come across so far :)

IMG_5683.jpg IMG_5685.jpg IMG_5686.jpg IMG_5682.jpg IMG_5681.jpg IMG_5679.jpg IMG_5678.jpg IMG_5677.jpg IMG_5675.jpg IMG_5674.jpg IMG_5672.jpg

mahomes, watch3s, Thommas and 9 others like this.
  2. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jul 6, 2022

GMTMASTER1675.com will tell you everything you need to know.

t_swiss_t likes this.
  3. janice&fred Jul 6, 2022

Maybe but then there wouldn't be much of a discussion, and what fun is that? :)

Fritz, Syrte, watch3s and 4 others like this.
  4. vbrad26 Jul 6, 2022

Where did you get it from???
    Did you pick it up from behind Wilson's Lounge? Lol

janice&fred likes this.
  5. janice&fred Jul 6, 2022

You do indeed know your way around this town! Only thing I spotted behind that place was an empty beer bottle :D

vbrad26 likes this.
  6. darthjord Jul 6, 2022

unfortunately, fake dial and fake bezel insert.
    finding correct ones for just the two would EASILY cost more than 3,000 bucks
    furthermore, fake dial and bezel insert brings concern as to the authenticity of the rest of the watch as well...:confused:

7. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jul 6, 2022

That was my reaction.

8. janice&fred Jul 6, 2022

Um...While I'm not big on the sport models I do know my way around Rolexes enough to tell if the rest of the watch is suspect. What exactly would you suspect is fake from the rather revealing pics I supplied so far? (Hint: ANY NYC watch hustler wouldn't need more pics, and certainly wouldn't need to open the watch) :D

watch3s likes this.
  9. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jul 6, 2022

Print quality and fonts … the website I referenced will drive that home. Also Rick Harrison from Pawn Stars has a great video on You Tube on spotting a fake Rolex.

Edited Jul 6, 2022
    Benbradstock, marco and Duracuir1 like this.
  10. johnireland Jul 6, 2022

No matter how perfect a watch is, the closer I look at it, the worse it looks. Dials will drive you crazy. Just when I thought I'd seen it all, something new shows up to rewrite the rule book. If a watch is repaired using aftermarket parts, is it now a fake? Or is it just a watch with some undesirable parts? Using the term "fake" implies an intent to defraud. The best advice is to avoid bargains...especially the ones too good to be true. If you have doubts about a watch, or a watch part...just walk away...there are a million more watches just down the road and around the corner. GMTs are hot right now...and I'd not be surprised to see a lot of them being thrown together using aftermarket parts, or poorly refinished parts. Just thoughts on the watch in question.

janice&fred likes this.
  11. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Jul 6, 2022

Nice wheels btw

janice&fred likes this.
  12. janice&fred Jul 6, 2022

Well yes and no John. While I indeed had my doubts about a couple watch parts (dial and insert), I wasn't about to walk away from this sad sack resto-project considering it cost me about what a beat up quartz Tag Heuer is going for. I can buy a whole lotta stuff to make this thing once again worthy of wearing and still be in it for about a third of their going rate. :D

Om3ga321, VictorAlpha and NGO1 like this.
  13. janice&fred Jul 6, 2022

Rick Harrison? That'll be the day I need his advice :)

Anyways there is absolutely nothing suspicious with this watch I posted aside from the dial, which was the purpose of this thread, and as John mentioned the word "fake" may not relate to the dial. As I mentioned in my initial post I suspect it may be refinished. A refinished genuine dial is not fake.

14. Caliber561 Jul 6, 2022

The hands seem fake to me, the seconds hand especially seems to have curved stamping deformations that are common on hands from China. Vintage hands are always quite sharp around the edges.

Benbradstock likes this.
  15. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jul 6, 2022

Its a good video, despite the skiivy source. Pretty much sums up what most of us have learned to do. Spot problems quickly before money is spent.

16. Dan S Jul 6, 2022

I also believe that hands/dial/insert are aftermarket, based on things I've seen in the past. I guess the dial could be repainted, but with other aftermarket parts, it just seems more likely to me that they all are. In any case, it doesn't matter much value-wise. A good approach might be a service by Rolex, which would include replacement by service parts. 1675s with service dial/hands/insert are surprisingly valuable these days.

Edited Jul 6, 2022
    Mark020, Benbradstock and janice&fred like this.
  17. JulianK Jul 6, 2022

I’d agree with the above, the hands look too new compared to the rest of the watch. If the dial is real, I’d imagine it’s been relumed. I can’t comment on the print quality of the dial because it’s pretty tough to tell from the photos.

18. Davidt Jul 6, 2022

Would Rolex service a watch with fake dial/hands/bezel?

19. Dan S Jul 6, 2022

Maybe. They would require replacement for sure.

Mark020 likes this.
  20. ALEJANDRO BOVONE Jul 6, 2022

i think it varies depending the service center. fake movements definitely are not taken in here in buenos aires regardless case and dial are original.

DaveK likes this.