Forums Latest Members
  1. kov Trüffelschwein. Jun 28, 2020

Because too much cash can indeed be a real problem. And the « wasted » part that exceeds the market value is to consider as cost of the laundering service ;)

Watch Narcos on Netflix, it has nothing to do with watches but allows you to see the (too much) cash problem from a different perspective :)

2. tyrantlizardrex Jun 28, 2020

You have clean cash and an asset you can cross borders with... it's been going on with art and cars for a long time... it was only a matter of time until watches caught up.

imageWIS, Just Livin and watchyouwant like this.
  3. tyrantlizardrex Jun 28, 2020

Exactly this.

£1million of cash you can't spend/move is worth less than £500k that you can.

watchyouwant likes this.
  4. dsacks30 Jun 28, 2020

If money laundering was one of the primary drivers of these prices, then wouldn't you see it to the same extent at all of the major auction houses? Why Phillips over their competitors? What I don't understand is how Aurel gets prices that Christie's and Sotheby's couldn't dream of. Is this really a result of the magnetism of his personality and his perceived expertise above all of his peers?

5. queriver Jun 28, 2020

Re money laundering, would Phillips even be able to accept large quantities of cash and if so, surely the Swiss authorities would be asking questions? And how does the cash get to Geneva, especially these days?

timjohn likes this.
  6. tyrantlizardrex Jun 28, 2020

Take a look at the Daytona sale they did a couple of years ago. Read around about the lots that got pulled and where some of the “provenance” leads...

imageWIS and watchyouwant like this.
  7. tyrantlizardrex Jun 28, 2020

There's laundering and there's laundering right?

You might have cash "stuck" somewhere and need it to be somewhere else... so you could pay in one Phillips office (Hong Kong for example), and collect the watch from another (Switzerland perhaps?), and then take it to another country (the USA) on your wrist.

It's a really good way to move money across borders when legitimate means aren't available.

WatchCor, imageWIS, Gamma and 2 others like this.
  8. queriver Jun 28, 2020

Understand about settling in another country but Phillips' offices are mostly in jurisdictions where suitcases of cash raise questions. I'm not saying it's not happening but it's probably more the exception than the rule and therefore unlikely to be materially moving the market.

Mark020 likes this.
  9. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Jun 28, 2020

Don't follow this either.

10. killer67 Jun 28, 2020

FAP 2998-5 sold for 50K which was not a good watch

11. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jun 28, 2020

Guys like Pablo Escobar had more money than the Columbian government. They had so much money that they buried millions of dollars in notes, and forgot about it. So from that perspective it kinda makes sense...

Fap fap fap fap ...

imageWIS and shishy like this.
  12. kamnitz Jun 28, 2020

hello

is just me or anyone also thinks these absurd overpriced auctions from phillips can be part of some money laundering or tax deduction / hiding scheme ?
    it just doesnt make sense.

anyone here ever bought at their auction? i wonder who is the only cartel client that bought all those watches, lol

Edited Jun 28, 2020
  13. tyrantlizardrex Jun 28, 2020

Not necessarily suitcases of cash - think of businesses/people who have huge amounts of cash in one jurisdiction and want to move it somewhere else without paying tax.

At that point we're into tax evasion/avoidance... but then depending on how the money was acquired in the first place.

watchyouwant likes this.
  14. jhross98 Jun 28, 2020

if this is the case then why is a lange time zone in platinum only going for 40k CHF ?

15. tyrantlizardrex Jun 28, 2020

Think about watches you can sell on easily, with wide appeal.

What is horoligicaly interesting, is very rarely interesting to the mass market... and nor does it attract the same kind of markups as some much more pedestrian stuff can.

Everyone knows what a Rolex is...

Bill Sohne, imageWIS and watchyouwant like this.
  16. ChetBaker Jun 28, 2020

But why do that with all of the spotlights of the watch community shining on you instead of just going to a grey dealer? Surely no serious launderer likes the entire watch world to discuss his purchase of a couple of readily available Rolex watches.

lando and Mark020 like this.
  17. Ree Jun 28, 2020

Might sound like a stupid question, but: wouldn't money launderers/asset border-transporters be better off buying from dealers at better prices? Why risk getting the spotlight from a major event?

The way I see it, these auctions look like big-budget Holywood productions. Spectacles for all to watch and cheer, with fancy fireworks and explosions. Executive producers being dealers, investors, with massive past-assets, protecting prices during these awful economic situations.
    One can't manipulate prices legally in financial markets. But in collectibles, there's no regulatory body which oversees the market.
    I heard there are even "watchfunds" out there that promises investors returns by securing hot-ticket/rare items while making sure the investments will be sustainable. If these "watchfunds" are truly large enough, I bet "fund" managers could manipulate prices of certain items easily. And what better way to put a major price hike on their assets other than slapping high hammer prices on popular auctions watched and talked by most people in the industry.

JohnLy likes this.
  18. tyrantlizardrex Jun 28, 2020

Ah yes the list is X, but look how much it just sold for at auction, and I'll let you have it for just Y.:whistling:

Bear in mind that these auctions are only a "big deal" in the watch collecting bubble. No one else cares. :cool:

Mark020 likes this.
  19. ndgal Jun 28, 2020

If one wanted to launder money, buying watches in a public auction from an auction house will not be the place to do so...:confused:

20. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jun 28, 2020

So, whilst I’m agreeing (even though I’m only familiar at laundering dirty clothing), I’m wondering : who has more money laundering skillz...you or TheLizard :whistling:

:D

izydor, lando and kov like this.