Patina on vintage Omega. Thoughts

What's peoples' thoughts on dial patina on vintage Omega watches?
I've read threads in which people either love or dislike it.
Seems to be a subjective line in which adds character or trash.
Here is a 1940s Omega cal. 30 T2 P for sale. What do people think?

Seems to be a subjective line in which adds character or trash.
Here is a 1940s Omega cal. 30 T2 P for sale. What do people think?

I like it. Even and not extreme. The colors work together.

If me and a bunch of people told you it is a beautiful dial, would you then like the patina? I think YOU have to like it, that‘s the most important thing, if you want to buy and wear it. If you had asked about a collectors value, you definitly would have gotten different opinions.

kind regards Max

While vintage OMEGA watches are very popular amongst collectors, and for good reasons, the company did, at times, have issues with the finishing varnishes used, which caused a type of patina that not everyone finds sympathetic.

Patina-wise that watch is on the low end of the scale for such an old piece. If some find the level of aging on that original dialed watch disturbing then best collect newer models.

I like the patina on that particular dial. It really suits the watch and isn't extreme or tatty. I give it the thumbs up!

If me and a bunch of people told you it is a beautiful dial, would you then like the patina? I think YOU have to like it, that‘s the most important thing, if you want to buy and wear it. If you had asked about a collectors value, you definitly would have gotten different opinions.

kind regards Max
^This^ I 100% agree with this statement. You have to like it.

I inherited a 1946 CK 2414-2 with similar patina and at first I wasn't sure if I like the patina. I spoke with my local Omega Boutique and they informed me they could service it back at the factory, but due to its age refinishing the dial would be mandatory. So I had two options send it to the factory and have it taken back to factory spec or have it locally serviced by a competent watchmaker and enjoy the patina as my uncle who owned it before me did. I chose the latter as the patina grew on me but that is what I liked.

Long(ish) story short my advice would be to go with your gut as at the end of the day it's on your wrist.

^This^ I 100% agree with this statement. You have to like it.

I inherited a 1946 CK 2414-2 with similar patina and at first I wasn't sure if I like the patina. I spoke with my local Omega Boutique and they informed me they could service it back at the factory, but due to its age refinishing the dial would be mandatory. So I had two options send it to the factory and have it taken back to factory spec or have it locally serviced by a competent watchmaker and enjoy the patina as my uncle who owned it before me did. I chose the latter as the patina grew on me but that is what I liked.

Long(ish) story short my advice would be to go with your gut as at the end of the day it's on your wrist.

As a man much wiser than myself said "they're only original once".

Look at that you answered your own question.
What do people think?
Why would what we think matter, you're the one who's going to wear it?

With threads starting like this, it gets down to money.....

Are you the buyer or seller?

It definitely a "that depends" answer. Nice even color or even a well-disbursed pattern is fine too. Big blotches that look like junk? Pass.

This one looks sharp, I'd buy it.

With threads starting like this, it gets down to money.....

Are you the buyer or seller?
Just someone with a general interest. I'm not the buyer or seller.

It definitely a "that depends" answer. Nice even color or even a well-disbursed pattern is fine too. Big blotches that look like junk? Pass.

This one looks sharp, I'd buy it.

Agreed. I've seen some which I couldn't stand being on my wrist. However, this looks nice and even.

Look at that you answered your own question.

Why would what we think matter, you're the one who's going to wear it?

I'm not going to be the one who wears it. Was creating a discussion... Thanks for that input though ...

I like the patina on that particular dial. It really suits the watch and isn't extreme or tatty. I give it the thumbs up!

Agreed 100%

kind regards Max

Was just asking opinions on dials with patina and used that watch as an example...

Just someone with a general interest. I'm not the buyer or seller.

Agreed. I've seen some which I couldn't stand being on my wrist. However, this looks nice and even.

I'm not going to be the one who wears it. Was creating a discussion... Thanks for that input though ...

Agreed 100%

Was just asking opinions on dials with patina and used that watch as an example...

Welcome, if you love discussions like this, you are at the right place, use the search feature and you'll find 100's of threads to enjoy on whether people like patina or not.

I like good patina. What constitutes good? I know it when I see it. As others have mentioned, there are characteristics that can make for an attractive dial, but it's subjective.

I will mention that when you zoom-in on a lot of dials, you may find many imperfections -- which disappear when the watch is viewed under normal conditions. See the freckles on a 2937, below.

The candidate you post is not exactly my cup of tea. But I can see the appeal. Kind of a golden parchment paper look. And with the right strap, it may well present nicely on the wrist.

Edited:

For an SS field watch, a perfect, nice even patina. I’d give it a thumbs up

For an SS field watch, a perfect, nice even patina. I’d give it a thumbs up
I like it.

The more I look at it, the more attractive it becomes.

“One man’s damage is another man’s patina.” - Aristotle

The watch posted has taken on a nice color but it’s right on the edge for me. It’s starting to look a bit grungy.

Patina appreciation is subjective. In the vintage car world, “patina” is valuable if it’s real. Most are fake sanding, spray on rust color, and throwing gravel at the front end and mirrors of the car. Barf. A true survivor w patina is extremely attractive to me. Your watch example reminds me of the latter.

Though I suggest you not throw gravel at it!