Forums Latest Members

My First Omega -- Thoughts on this Vintage Cushion Watch?

1. StangerP51 Aug 28, 2020

Hello all!

I've been a non-member / lurker here on the site for a long time; soaking up the everyone's knowledge as I've delved into vintage and Omega watch collecting. I have a number of WWI era trenches and have been slowly expanding from there (in both directions from a time standpoint).

I recently purchased a working vintage Omega that I had been looking at for a while -- my first Omega (though I do have a nice, unique Patria that I'm still researching). It arrived earlier this week and I have already submitted a request for an extract from the Omega archives to get some additional information.

While I wait on the extract, I wanted to see what thoughts the experts on this forum had. With a watch of this age, it's always possible that it's a Frankenstein. That said, the movement serial number (5125102) and case number (5918786) are close enough to each other that it's possible that the two were originally paired . . . and certainly within the range of other similar watch/case pairings that I've researched. Additionally, I have seen other Omegas with similar faces that have later movement serials . . . so it's still possible that the face is original also.

The case itself is 0.935 Swiss silver and stamped a single bear on both the case back and main body (near where the right side of the top wire lug connects to the case in the third picture). Additionally, all three pieces of the case are stamped with "184" on the inner sides (i.e., not visible when the case is closed up) which indicates that all three are original to each other. What is interesting is that the case has an Omega logo that I haven't seen very often ("Omega Watch Co." stamped inside the omega symbol).

From all the research that I've done so far, I'm hopeful that it's all original and the extract should provide a definitive answer. That said, I'm hoping that those here with knowledge, experience, and a better eye can provide some perspective (because waiting on that extract will be tough!).

Specifically:
    - Estimated date(s) for the watch? Online databases put the range between 1915-23.
    - Thoughts on originality of the watch? I haven't seen a cushion case just like this.
    - Anything that doesn't look "right" on the movement? I'm not familiar with Omega movements (still a noob).
    - Anything else that I may have missed or thoughts you may have.

Huge thanks, in advance, for your thoughts and feedback.

Best,
    Nate
    IMG_3492.jpg IMG_3493.jpg IMG_3494.jpg IMG_3495.jpg IMG_3496.jpg IMG_3497.jpg

Edited Aug 28, 2020
    30t1, heavenscloud and airansun like this.
  2. janice&fred Aug 28, 2020

That don't look like no Frankenstein to me. Nice watch!

3. StangerP51 Aug 28, 2020

Thanks @janice&fred! I'm hopeful that's the case...
    I'm looking forward to wearing her once I decide on a strap (tarnish on the case back suggests a fabric NATO strap at some point in her history) and get her serviced.

Edited Aug 28, 2020
    janice&fred likes this.
  4. Marsimaxam Aug 28, 2020

It's a very nice looking watch with beautiful hands and font, definitely has the 1920 look. I'm curious, are you planing to have restoration work done as well as having the watch serviced? The dial looks good, but both the hands and the numbers are missing luminous material? I don't believe restoration would dramatically alter the value. Those hands are awesome.

30t1 likes this.
  5. StangerP51 Aug 28, 2020

Thanks for the feedback @Marsimaxam.

Honestly, I'm not sure yet. Definitely a servicing. While it is currently in "working order", I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing it without a thorough service.

The only restoration work that I will likely do is replace the crystal (existing one isn't original). I'm hesitant to get the watch restored as it's in good condition and I've read too many stories of watches being "over restored". As for the lume, it might be good to get it professionally removed (mainly for safety due to the radium), but I likely won't put any new lume on it.

Marsimaxam likes this.
  6. Marsimaxam Aug 28, 2020

There is a beauty in just leaving the dial as is... I believe the Japanese have a term which reflects this quality, Wabi Sabi, which by definition is:

"In traditional Japanese aesthetics, wabi-sabi is a world view centered on the acceptance of transience and imperfection. The aesthetic is sometimes described as one of beauty that is "imperfect, impermanent, and incomplete" source Wikipedia

7. airansun In the shuffling madness Aug 28, 2020

Looks very nice to me.

Mine’s later, not enamel dialed, and not as nicely finished. I’ve never seen a caseback like yours, but I’m not an expert in this area.

The caseback numbers are always higher than movement numbers during this era.

F1BC8553-BB9A-421A-B378-326AD128F435.jpeg 8405C583-394C-4A73-9FF2-AF07B20B02FA.jpeg D0FCAC14-6C8F-4F3F-B858-4230197F246F.jpeg

Thommas, 30t1, Farmer and 2 others like this.
  8. Pascul15 Sep 16, 2020

I have a similar watch but with the 24 hour dial addition which I have never seen on any other watch like these on the internet. I recently sent it to Geneva to get it serviced so we’ll see how it goes. I believe mine is all original with a porcelain dial but unfortunately the hands were relumed at some point but the numbers have not been changed. I absolutely love really vintage pieces like the ones above.

BE1ADA43-95F5-42B7-9176-717A463A9C46.jpeg D6E22E1B-46B4-4D97-965F-63B8427F0970.jpeg 9BC506E0-7DB9-4A5E-8823-B504F7112956.png B47978FD-F8CF-4E6B-A196-47DF63B148DC.jpeg
  9. TimeODanaos Sep 17, 2020

That's a wonderful debut. I can't wait to see other items from your early C20 collection! FWIW, wabi-sabi is often an excuse for damage, but in this instance your watch simply expresses it - I wouldn't touch that dial.
    PS love your handle/avatar combo!

StangerP51, Winston_Smith and 30t1 like this.
  10. 30t1 Sep 18, 2020

Sexy watch, I’m biased a bit. I’m working the correct hands. Your cases numbers match. FDF7D8C3-3E7A-4B74-9CDB-46656B92CE32.jpeg 130B11E8-0A3B-4BB3-B13C-4F5E06724306.jpeg E3F79DE8-4607-4858-81C6-DD7632C3EDDF.jpeg

bardamu, Tire-comedon and airansun like this.
  11. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Sep 20, 2020

Well, this seems to be a reference 805, a much later watch with a 26.5 inside.
    Here in a 1935 british catalog :

1935 GB461 CK 805.png

12. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Sep 20, 2020

Nice to see you, Yann!

Folks, this is the foremost authority concerning pre-WWII Omega's in the world as far as I am concerned.

He is very laid-back and easy going but I take notes when he speaks.

Tire-comedon likes this.
  13. Winston_Smith Sep 21, 2020

Well, I think the OP just owned a watch most collectors would be jealous of! Nothing seems dodgy to my rookie eyes, either.

Just also wanted to add that I'd leave the indexes the way they are until they completely lose their enameling. But in some cases, a good service can also make an oldie a stunning beauty. As you might find it here, @SkunkPrince has got a lovely pre-WWII which he serviced and it looks fabulous now. But I'm not sure about the condition of the watch before the service. Maybe it had no lume left on hands and indexes or the restaurateur just did an excellent job with using a generic material.

Btw, as you'd see in the hyperlink above, I've also chased after a (probably) 1923 Omega very recently, which looks similar to the 805 @Tire-comedon shared above. I couldn't get it in the end but I'm glad that a -now- forum member got himself a beautiful one.

StangerP51 likes this.
  14. SkunkPrince Sep 21, 2020

I don't recall exactly but there was little lume there. I had it replaced with a custom mix of "aged radium" Super Luminova by Everest Watch Works. The watchmaker who did this watch for me sent out the dial and hands.

Edited for better picture.

IMG_0252.jpeg
  15. Raymondo5508 Sep 25, 2020

Here is my one and the same caseback markings. Very close serial numbers...
    This is a shot when i first got the watch three years ago. Had it sympathetically restored now.
    Just away at the moment.
    Cheers Russell.
    Screenshot_20200925-193316_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20200925-194252_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20200925-194207_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20200925-194222_Gallery.jpg

StangerP51 and Winston_Smith like this.
  16. StangerP51 Jan 21, 2021

Apologies for the long-delayed response!!

@Raymondo5508,
    Love the watch! Great to see another one with similar case markings and a serial number < 70 away from mine. The engraving/etching on the movement is beautiful also. Love the design. Thanks for sharing.
    The second hand in your watch matches the one in the watch I just picked up (which is older than my first). I wonder if the second hand was replaced at some point or if it was just a different style. Since it's serial number is between yours and mine, I'm guessing it was replaced. Thoughts?

Since I started this thread, I actually found another similar, and slightly older, watch with minimal variations to the case markings. At the time, it was the only other watch I'd seen with these same Omega logos. Since I hadn't seen Russell's post, I picked it up in December. Both are in great working order ( < 5 min off over 24hrs) but they both needed new crystals. I just received them back today. Here are the pics of the two side by side (the one I just purchased is in the bottom of each pic). Unfortunately, the newer one had the patina removed by the PO but it'll come back over time.

Current plan is to order straps from David Boettcher (I have several of his straps for my trench watches). Currently thinking a black and chestnut open-end with sterling buckles (to match the cases).
    IMG_3972.jpg IMG_3974.jpg IMG_3976.jpg

TimeODanaos, 30t1 and airansun like this.
  17. StangerP51 Jan 21, 2021

Thanks @Winston_Smith! Sorry you weren't able to snag the watch. It definitely looked to be a solid project. Have you been chasing any others lately?

Beautiful piece @SkunkPrince! Is that strap from David Boettcher or another maker? it looks very much like one of his.

Best,
    Nate

18. SkunkPrince Jan 21, 2021

Yes, but I upgraded with an Italian leather piece in the Type A, which is 25mm wide, instead of the Type whichever, 30mm, I think. The 25mm looks a LOT better.

StangerP51 likes this.
  19. StangerP51 Jan 21, 2021

I have a Type A (single-slot) in sepia and love it. The other two are a Type C in dark chestnut (gold buckle) and Type B in black; both with double-slots. Personally, the width is driven by the watch itself. The Type C would not look right on the watch with the Type A.

I just sent a note to David to get his recommendations for the Omegas. I'm thinking of a black and (dark?) chestnut open-end with silver buckles. From his website, it sounds like COVID shut him down for a while. Bummer! Looks like I'll be waiting a bit longer to wear these.

20. SkunkPrince Jan 21, 2021

I had him do a double-slot Type A, which he said he's never done before, but since I was paying a crapload of money, I think he did it anyway.

IMG_0513.jpeg
    StangerP51 likes this.