Forums Latest Members
  1. Engee Jan 27, 2020

This Seiko is off for a service now. For an extra few pounds I could have the GMT hand re-painted, (and for a further few pounds I could have the regular hands re-lumed). I'm in two minds. The paint loss doesn't bother me and I guess on balance I'm inclined to let the watch grow old gracefully, on the other hand, the dial is very clean so painting the GMT hand would bring the piece together a bit (I'm not even sure the dial hasn't had a new lick of paint itself).

What would you do?

Seiko 6117-6410.jpg
  2. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jan 27, 2020

What could possibly go wrong?
    upload_2020-1-27_20-24-39.jpeg

NikolShep, Wivac, Vitezi and 2 others like this.
  3. Engee Jan 27, 2020

Well it depends on who does it. If re-luming is OK, why not a job like this?

4. dx009 Jan 27, 2020

I'm fine with how it is right now to be honest. You could leave this for a latter time... At least the GMT hand, the lume flaking I'd probably try to get it fixed as you don't want it flaking around inside the watch.

Regarding the luming of the hands. Normally new lume is going to have a different color than the rest of the lume. You can use coloring to try and get it similar to the rest of the lume but that might still not bring perfect results. Maybe the lume looks identical when applied but when it dries it'll change a bit. Then you have to re-do it again...

Engee likes this.
  5. JwRosenthal Jan 27, 2020

I would repaint the GMT hand, but that’s me. I have had the lume filled and stabilized on watches much older than this. My guy didn’t relume, he color matched and filled just the area that had broken away and coated the underside to keep the rest from flaking off. It’s not for the faint of heart and you have to be prepared to do a complete relume if things go wrong. But if they go well, you have retained the original lume- stabilized it as to not degrade further, and have filled the gaps which should be barely noticeable under a loupe.

DaveK and Engee like this.
  6. Engee Jan 27, 2020

I think I will ask the watchmaker to advise as to the quality of the lume. I'm still unsure about whether to repaint the red hand, so I'm no further with my original dilemma, but have a valuable answer for the question I didn't ask!

I love this forum!

7. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 27, 2020

I’d stabilize paint and lume ... that’s it.

JwRosenthal likes this.
  8. Willbur Jan 27, 2020

I will scratch the dial to have it consistent with the GMT hand.:confused:

chronos likes this.
  9. mjb Jan 27, 2020

I'd paint it, but that's really my OCD coming out more than anything else. No patina for me!

Engee likes this.
  10. 321Only Jan 27, 2020

I would recommend a careful restauration of both the GMT hand and the lume. And by "careful restoration" I don't mean to spray it with artist paint and have it relume with superluminova that glows forever. Let me know if you need help :thumbsup:

Engee likes this.
  11. vacheroyale Jan 28, 2020

Definitely is worth it to relume it. it's not difficult and watch deserves it

Engee likes this.
  12. bigsom Jan 28, 2020

Wouldn't touch it myself, but do what makes you happy!

Larry S and Engee like this.
  13. Engee Jan 28, 2020

Best response so far. I’m doing that.:D

14. percymon Jan 28, 2020

Do what doesn't look right when you are looking at it on your wrist - it's easy to find issues when you are looking at it 500% or more size on a computer screen. Unless the lume is deemed loose by the watchmaker then leave alone until next time ?

Engee likes this.
  15. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 28, 2020

These watches are known for being messed with. Having a bit of imperfection from normal use is a positive IMO for value retention.

Engee likes this.
  16. Engee Jan 28, 2020

That’s where I’m heading. I’ve asked the watchmaker to assess the paint and lume for flaking and let me know his thoughts before deciding what to do. I’m moving away from re-painting the gmt hand.