Forums Latest Members

Need advice: Speedmaster 145.022-69 with DON bezel - buy it or leave it?

1. PepeMUC Dec 3, 2018

First of all, a very heartfelt hello from Munich to all of you.
    I have been around reading and learning for more than a year now, as I have started collecting only in 2015...
    Love this forum and the wealth of knowledge and helpfulness I have seen so far.

To be honest, I have a big bunch of questions for you, as I am safeguard to own a few vintage Omegas for my children (my weakness are 33.3.s from the 30/40s, an Aviator from the 30s a.o. and Speedmasters from the 60s).
    For time reasons I'd like to start though with a request for advice of buy it or leave it.

We are talking about a SpM 145.022-69 with a DON bezel from 1970 (Serial 2911...) offered by a local pawn shop.
    IMHO, there are PROs (DON bezel) and CONs (condition) - I do have a talented watchmaker tough who could fix various damages... So my three main questions would be:

1. I am confused about the caliber case - my other 145.022-69 (DNN) does not have this "inner ring" with a kind of thread (marked on pic below). What is the function of this ring? AND, are the damages visible on the ring a major problem?
    2. Any other inconsistencies you might have spotted?
    3. Would you buy it for € 4000 (4500 USD)?

Thank you VERY much in advance for your help!
    Case.jpg 145.022-60 DON.jpg Download (2).jpeg

2. Igora Dec 3, 2018

I think this ring is some kind of replacement for dust cover.
    Watch looks nice and price is fair.
    DON is also in fair condition..

PepeMUC likes this.
  3. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Dec 3, 2018

Chocolate dialed 69er with a decent don for $4.5k ... better hope its still there ...

Edit : VAP @ $4.5k, thats what...the bezel and the midcase (if unpolished)?

Edited Dec 3, 2018
    PepeMUC likes this.
  4. bags1971 Dec 3, 2018

run back to them as fast as you can and throw the money at them

5. Screwbacks Dec 3, 2018

:mad:

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 3, 2018

In addition to a "fabricobbled" replacement spacer that is used in place of the anti-magnetic cover, the balance cock is missing the fine regulator.

Given that level of butchery, I have reservations regarding the condition of the movement that would give me pause...

Cheers, Al

dan7800, PepeMUC, cristos71 and 5 others like this.
  7. trash_gordon Dec 3, 2018

Do this asap

PepeMUC likes this.
  8. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Dec 3, 2018

PepeMUC likes this.
  9. kov Trüffelschwein. Dec 3, 2018

I tend to second Al here. A chocolate dial remains attractive till you eventually realize it's been glued to the movement by the master butchmaker who cared of the watch :whistling:

PepeMUC and mr_yossarian like this.
  10. repoman Dec 3, 2018

something tells me you'll be into it for A LOT more after all the work that is needed to repair it, as long as you're willing to to take that risk, proceed. personally, I'd pass, but that's because I don't particularly fancy chocolate dials, and I like examples that don't come day 1 with so many issues.

PepeMUC likes this.
  11. Davidt Dec 3, 2018

Even without the movement issues I'd want to see a better picture of that dial before I advocate skipping merrily back to the shop, cash in hand.

PepeMUC and Foo2rama like this.
  12. PepeMUC Dec 3, 2018

@all: thank you loads for your thoughts. I am glad to read that my instinct seems to work and that my concerns are mirrored by some of you. I have decided to take the risk and I just confirmed my intention to buy it. Not sure, if I look forward to listen to my watchmaker's lections once we sit down to take a close look, but I hope for the best. Will share a better pic, once we have fixed the expected issues...