Padel vs Pickleball - views?

It's that time of year again when a lot of (Northern hemi) tennis clubs face demands to do something new and different, whether to entertain the kids, to increase diversity, get more funding from the association, get ahead of a local rival, all that. These days this often takes the form of lobbying for Padel and/or Pickleball, both vaguely (IMO) tennis-related games.

Both of those are fun; can be played at many levels; look pretty awesome in the hands of elite players. Neither comes cost-free in allocating space, facilities, equipment, coaching etc. Neither (IMO) directly inspires anyone to try their hand at tennis.

I have my own experiences, sure, but I am interested to hear other people's views. I know pickle has more traction in N America, and padel is bigger in Europe, but it would be especially helpful to hear from anyone who has tried both. Did either game hit the spot for you? Did the kids have fun? Did your teens start to get serious? Did it bring sport to anyone who thought they couldn't do that stuff? And what is the essence of the game that makes it what it is?

Thank you for any thoughts. And as this is OF, here is a picture: my beloved Snoopy.
a27af760-1d7c-4df1-a756-df9d632495c2.jpg

Here in the Northeast US, Pickleball is becoming extremely popular, particularly with an older demographic (50 and above), and as a physio, I’m seeing a disproportionate number of injuries compared to other typical middle-age activity pursuits. For anyone intending to play: warm up extremely well before engaging.

Here in the Northeast US, Pickleball is becoming extremely popular, particularly with an older demographic (50 and above), and as a physio, I’m seeing a disproportionate number of injuries compared to other typical middle-age activity pursuits. For anyone intending to play: warm up extremely well before engaging.
Interesting. So it's not so much the 35-45s "What shall we do with the kids?" thing, or the gateway drug to other sports, more the "Hey, I've still got it, I don't just play golf and sleep y'know" crowd? (Big apologies to everyone offended by my stereotyping shorthand.)

Pickleball here is also overwhelmingly a "senior" sport (Padel is non existent here). In particular, doubles, because the players really don't have to move much at all. I've not played it myself - I am not yet at a stage where I will give up running around a proper tennis court.

It is much easier to learn, since both the racquet and ball are "dead" so the ball is easy to control, unlike tennis where both the racquet and ball are "alive" so it's very difficult to control the shot in comparison. My impression of Padel is that it's sort of in between tennis and pickleball.

Our local tennis and pickleball clubs are completely separate entities, and aside from the odd player doing both, have nothing to do with each other. They have their own courts, and we have ours. There is one weekend a year where they are allowed to put tape down on some tennis courts for a large tournament they hold but that's it.

The crossover is usually people who play pickleball, wanting to get better at it, so they take up tennis to help with their pickleball game. There's one person who did this that we play with regularly, but in essence, she just plays pickleball on the tennis court. So for example she rarely lets the ball bounce, and often takes it out of the air with a sort of underhanded bump...

I don't see kids playing pickleball, but there are tons playing tennis. There are regularly scheduled kids clinics held at our club to keep the kids engaged. They don't seem interested at all in pickleball.

I’ve got no idea what paddleball is but in SoCal most places are converting about a third of their tennis courts to pickle ball courts.

The tennis courts even at the tennis clubs have been sitting unused and pickle ball is bringing in lots of new blood for them. Age appears to be late 30’s and older.

The only exception I see is some housing communities are not doing it as pickle ball is louder then tennis and the people that live next to the courts are fighting it.

I'm really grateful for these replies, thanks. I'll make a better contribution once I've thought some more about it. But - sorry, my bias - I have to say the notion of an adult taking up tennis to help with their pickleball game did stop me in my tracks for a coupla minutes...

Still hoping to hear from Europe - Spain, Portugal, Netherlands, I think? - about Padel!

I’ve got no idea what paddleball is but in SoCal most places are converting about a third of their tennis courts to pickle ball courts.

The tennis courts even at the tennis clubs have been sitting unused and pickle ball is bringing in lots of new blood for them. Age appears to be late 30’s and older.

The only exception I see is some housing communities are not doing it as pickle ball is louder then tennis and the people that live next to the courts are fighting it.

In places where tennis is in decline, it's not unusual to see tennis courts converted to pickleball. Two pickleball courts can fit well within one tennis court. Here tennis is growing, so when I go to our club (which is on public courts) where there are 8 tennis and 8 pickleball courts, the tennis courts are often full, while pickleball courts are only 1/2 full.

The noise is a real concern, due to the pitch and volume of the sound. It's a fast growing sport, but also one of the most hated by people who live nearby. The hard ball hitting the hard paddle makes a real pop sound that when you get a bunch of courts going, is quite unpleasant. Pickleball sound pressure levels within 100 feet of the court will be about 70 dBa. I know some municipalities have banned it after certain times of the day, due to the noise. Others have said no to building courts for pickleball because of the noise.

As a tennis player, having the courts right behind me when I'm playing is an exercise is being able to block things out...not just the pop of the ball, but the hooting and hollering (and music playing) that tends to go along with pickleball.

Thanks @Archer , your point about noise is exactly the kind of issue that isn't understood or gets overlooked until too late when facilities are planned.
As for the popularity of tennis, I suspect your club is getting just rewards from Canada's national hot streak! IMO, that's how you make a sport thrive, not by associating with something different. Not easy of course.

Thanks @Archer , your point about noise is exactly the kind of issue that isn't understood or gets overlooked until too late when facilities are planned.
As for the popularity of tennis, I suspect your club is getting just rewards from Canada's national hot streak! IMO, that's how you make a sport thrive, not by associating with something different. Not easy of course.

You are spot on. We have had some payers come up that have had success, and when young kids see that here (in a country where hockey reins supreme) they take notice, and think "why not me?"

Before pickleball took off here, tennis was actually the fastest growing sport here...

Soccer tennis is where it's at. Use the service courts for singles and full court for doubles. All ages can play. And it's easier to score than in soccer basketball.

I've been playing pickleball for 9 years and play competitively in my age and skill level category. It's a bit of a misnomer that pickleball is played primarily by older players...the sport is really growing with all ages. The #1 ranked woman in singles, mixed doubles and women's doubles is 16 years old, Anna Leigh Waters.

Soccer tennis is where it's at. Use the service courts for singles and full court for doubles. All ages can play. And it's easier to score than in soccer basketball.

Had to look that one up...it’s exactly what it sounds like.

I've been playing pickleball for 9 years and play competitively in my age and skill level category. It's a bit of a misnomer that pickleball is played primarily by older players...the sport is really growing with all ages. The #1 ranked woman in singles, mixed doubles and women's doubles is 16 years old, Anna Leigh Waters.

Here it is overwhelmingly a 50+ sport (probably being generous in saying that, as most players I see are over 60). There are a few under 50 that you see occasionally, but it’s definitely a senior’s activity here.

Great to hear that the game has kept you involved like that, and I wish you many more competitive years (and fun ones too). Not surprised to hear that the champ is so young - I guess most games involving a physical dimension can be played by young athletes to a level most of us would scarcely think was the same sport. At a club level, I think the hallmark of a good sport is it has an appeal across a broad range from the would-be elites as well as families and/or certain age groups.

Tennis (just an example...) can be a little unforgiving unless you have the attention span to learn certain basic techniques properly, and some fitness to get the best from it, so it's never going to reach everybody. I think each in their different ways, Pickle and Padel neutralize and compensate for those things. Indeed, Padel has four glass walls round the playing area you're allowed to bounce off (body as well as ball!). So those games do have something going for them, and I know some European countries even have pro leagues. I just wondered if anyone wanted to distil the essence of why these games bring them joy. Still waiting for the Paddelers to show up, with or without their kayaks, but I've learned some useful stuff here, so thanks everyone.

Here it is overwhelmingly a 50+ sport (probably being generous in saying that, as most players I see are over 60). There are a few under 50 that you see occasionally, but it’s definitely a senior’s activity here.

Yup. In the western tip of Canada, it's aimed at 50++. A few friends of mine said they were going to take some pickleball lessons. I asked why, as they're nowhere near 50.

They thought I was kidding until after their first lesson. They mentioned my characterization of 50++ was generous.

In my city, pickleball courts don't really exist. So the pickleball players bring their own nets, camp out at the public tennis courts, and completely ignore the 30 min rule.

But what am I gonna do? Scream at a bunch of 60-70 year old grandmas and grandpas? (I'm not kidding.)

For me, since tennis is nowhere near dying in Vancouver, pickleball is the scourge of tennis.

I'm not sure how you work up a sweat playing pickleball, much less injuring yourself.

Thanks for posting this. Obviously I don't "like" what might be happening, but it's good the problem has come up. It's really important that seniors have ways of having fun, learning skills, and pushing themselves physically - but this points to the need to do it the right way. I guess if it hadn't been p/ball that surfaced this issue it would have been something else.

In other news, I've found somewhere to do some Padel this summer, so I'll report back unless any European OFers want to get involved with better information. Let's hope I don't get expensively hurt...

I'm not sure how you work up a sweat playing pickleball, much less injuring yourself.

Either you haven't played or don't play competitive matches. I grew up playing tennis and now mainly play pickle amongst racket sports. I play 2-3 times a week for around 2 hours straight, and am comfortably a 3.5+ player. Even in a competitive doubles match, there is a lot of sprinting and movement (certainly not as much as tennis but still a good work out), and singles is an even bigger workout. I can play matches with players who are 20-30 years younger than me on a competitive level with the smaller court size and the fact that pickle is not purely a power game. The pros typically play a dink focused game, but most players mix it up, which also contributes to the workout aspect. And it is really fun and social.

JMHO. See you on the courts!

Either you haven't played or don't play competitive matches. I grew up playing tennis and now mainly play pickle amongst racket sports. I play 2-3 times a week for around 2 hours straight, and am comfortably a 3.5+ player. Even in a competitive doubles match, there is a lot of sprinting and movement (certainly not as much as tennis but still a good work out), and singles is an even bigger workout. I can play matches with players who are 20-30 years younger than me on a competitive level with the smaller court size and the fact that pickle is not purely a power game. The pros typically play a dink focused game, but most players mix it up, which also contributes to the workout aspect. And it is really fun and social.

JMHO. See you on the courts!

Perfectly said. I'm 4.0 USAPA rated and play 3 times a week with similar level players and a few tournaments. It's a great workout when played competitively.