Forums Latest Members

opinion about this portuguese-ish 1950s IWC? (cal 88?)

1. nohackingsecs Feb 9, 2021

Hello Forum,
    found this rather odd IWC, sold by a private seller.
    [​IMG]
    I think the dial looks great; however the movement looks very werid:
    [​IMG]

Only Info I have is that it was from around 1955; that's the caseback:
    [​IMG]

What do you guys think? What the heck happened to the movement? Looks like a cal 88 to me, except it doesn't. Where is the stirping, the finishing, the "IWC", the movement number? very confused...

Thanks for your interest and help!

IWC.jpg $_57.JPG index.jpg
  2. Ron_W Feb 16, 2021

Strange indeed !! Architecture is cal 88, but without any markings ? An Ecole d`Horlogerie school watch maybe ?

nohackingsecs and Dries like this.
  3. Dries Feb 16, 2021

Wouldn’t those school watches be marked accordingly? And have anonymous dials?

nohackingsecs likes this.
  4. Ron_W Feb 16, 2021

For the graduation pieces certainly, but i am just guessing ::confused2:: here, how about iwc (school) trainees , they would have ( non commercial ) movements to practice on ?

nohackingsecs likes this.
  5. nohackingsecs Mar 1, 2021

Thanks for your replies;
    the watch actually has an engraving on the back that is quite interesting: it feautes a name and a title; "master watch maker".
    Would I be getting any information from IWC regargind this piece?
    My concern is: if this is a graduating-piece by IWC, why wasn't the movement finished in the appropriate way? Doesn't make sense to me...

6. Ron_W Mar 2, 2021

That is helpful information as it means that it is a watch makers watch, he built his own watch apparently ! Maybe even made an exact copy of the cal 88 or used a blank .. ? If it says Kurt Klaus then it would be really special ;)
    You can email his name and pictures of the watch and inscription to IWC and ask if he was working there once or an apprentice . Probably wont get an Extract as an unmarked movement would not be considered an IWC by the IWC people but the case number could help.

nohackingsecs and Dries like this.
  7. nohackingsecs Mar 12, 2021

Only reply I got was the suggestion to bring it to the next IWC Boutique and to order a certificate of authenticity for 300 CHF, that would ususlly just provide information about the caliber, casenumber and reference which seems even less than the Omega EOA that's cheaper and doesn't require sending/driving the watch to someone.
    I understand that the idea of a certificate of authenticity is a different one than with Omegas EOAs; however I doub't that it can/will provide me with the information I'm searching for. Plus spending 300CHF for getting the information that the movement isn't finished in the usual IWC standart and therefore not considered "authentic" is something I can live without.

Edit: Sadly, it does not say Klaus nor Blümlein (should be too early for him anyway)

Ron_W likes this.
  8. Ron_W Mar 12, 2021

Agree to not waist money on an EoA , you have a special watch and enjoy it !