On the fence with first purchase return

I recently purchased an Aqua Terra 8500 advertised in excellent condition. Upon opening the box, it just didn’t feel right and appears brushed/polished based on other Omega watches purchased new. I paid a bit of a premium as I have no issue doing so for a raw unaltered watch. In my opinion excellent condition does not mean refinished…. 99% of the time I live with my purchase decisions win or lose, but this one truly has me on the fence. I know the final decision is my own, but I am seeking guidance from the group. Wear in health or return? Thank you for your opinions.
82638233-9578-42D4-98FC-6ABC1A3C206D.jpeg
New brush lines to avoid crown?BFE15773-4C49-44BD-81F1-85BF9B301494.jpeg 47FE3D69-AE34-448C-8B88-200C35FA9816.jpeg

Regards.

Looks like it's been amateurishly sandpapered.

I collect vintage firearms. I wouldn't desire a firearm having such surface marks, much less a fine watch.

That's just pitiful!

If you aren't happy with it, return it. We should always ask if a watch has been refinished or touched up. Agree that 'excellent condition' does not mean it wasn't touched up.

It’s damaged…. Anyone that takes a piece of sandpaper to a watch is damaging it.

To paraphrase:

'Excellence in the eye of the beholder' has a literal meaning: that the perception of excellence is subjective - people can have differing opinions on what is excellent. So what one person perceives as flawless and captivating might be ordinary or unappealing to another.

I'd return it as "not as described".

I recently purchased an Aqua Terra 8500 advertised in excellent condition. Upon opening the box, it just didn’t feel right and appears brushed/polished based on other Omega watches purchased new. I paid a bit of a premium as I have no issue doing so for a raw unaltered watch. In my opinion excellent condition does not mean refinished…. 99% of the time I live with my purchase decisions win or lose, but this one truly has me on the fence. I know the final decision is my own, but I am seeking guidance from the group. Wear in health or return? Thank you for your opinions.
82638233-9578-42D4-98FC-6ABC1A3C206D.jpeg
New brush lines to avoid crown?BFE15773-4C49-44BD-81F1-85BF9B301494.jpeg 47FE3D69-AE34-448C-8B88-200C35FA9816.jpeg

Regards.

I’m not sure what I am seeing here. Perhaps it is my untrained eye but the aqua terra line is brushed on the sides and then polished on the top. Is there something else?

Like this?
Look closer. There is clear evidence the sides have been brushed badly, amateurishly even. A watch can be described as excellent if professionally refinished, not so if done badly. It should go back.

The condition of this watch would bug me as well…

You indeed have a dilemma. If you got it for a good price, I'd keep it and send it to Omega for service, or to an authorized service center, such as Nesbit's. They will refinish the case properly and it will look fabulous.

If you think you spent more than you should have, then certainly send it back.

Definitely returned as not described! For any kind of money, it should be acceptable to you! Good luck!

You can see it in the bezel. The "treatment" of the case side goes up into the bezel at 9 and also at 4.

If you intend to keep it over time the consideration is that this "new" watch may actually be a couple years old and that much closer to the expense of a service. What does the warranty card say?

You could also ask yourself why you want to keep this particular watch given it is not rare or a necessity.

All part of the adventure though. I have a watch to pick up Monday so what you share reminds me of the need to inspect a purchase thoroughly. Cheers.

I believe the card is dated 2016. It’s been sitting in the original packaging for a week… A service would be in the near future if it were a keeper which it doesn’t appear to be.

If Omega would repair the “damage” as part of service I suppose I could live with it, but in that case I could have saved enough purchasing another watch to more than cover the service cost…

Part of the delihma is certainly that it is not rare or needed. Honestly I’m shopping for a pre moon speedy, but snagged this because I wanted one for awhile and I’m a bit frustrated with the speedy hunt… Ah the thrill of the hunt…

All part of the adventure…

I really appreciate all of the feedback. Love this forum. :thumbsup:

Your gut says no. Send it back. If it bugs you now, that feeling is unlikely to go away.

Exactly lillatroll.

It won't go away and it will come to bug you even worse!

I've paid my dues being bugged by issues I stubbornly accepted despite their distaste, in coin collecting, firearms collecting, and watches.

If something bugs you about the watch and you can return it, do it. You’ll get rid of it at some point regardless. Might as well get your money back without taking a hit on depreciation.

I would return it. If you could live with what bothers you, maybe try to re-negotiate down the price?

I would also return it if you’re not happy. There’s so many options to get well curated watches I wouldn’t settle. When I sell my watches, I make sure that there’s 100% transparency on condition of the watch.