Forums Latest Members
  1. MistaMurillo May 1, 2019

Hi OF Community!

This is my first post on this forum and I love what I have read and come across thus far.

I am in search of someone that would be willing to help a newcomer like myself out with his first purchase of a vintage watch.

I have never been much of a watch man to date but as of the past year or so I been noticing timepieces more and more often while I have been working at a luxury hotel. My wife also has a few luxury pieces from the past that also helped spark my interest in watches.

I live in Los Angeles and I’m sure there are some reputable shops etc that I can find something I like but I’m not too sure where to start. eBay is a route that I think might be best and I have browsed what is out there and have a few pieces in mind.

Is this too much to ask from someone? I want to start with a vintage Omega and build a collection from there throughout my journey in life.

Thank you in advance,

Michael

2. JwRosenthal May 1, 2019

Hi Micheal,
    Welcome to the vintage forum.
    I guess your question is very broad and would require some narrowing down to be helpful to the group to steer you in the right direction. Saying your interested in a vintage Omega is like saying you are interested in a vintage Mercedes...which kind, which era, a sleek 280sl, a luxurious S500 or a Unimog?
    Attraction to a watch is very subjective (about as subjective as it gets), so having an idea of what you find attractive will help narrow your search (if you want to grab a few web pics and post 2-3 you like that would help steer your search).
    As for eBay, it is riddled with fakes, redials, and cobbled together watches- if you don’t have a keen eye you are best to avoid ebay.
    The classified’s on this forum are a great resource for vintage Omega’s, and you are pretty much gaurenteed to get an honest watch so start searching the postings and see what you like there.
    As for a collection or store to browse- I have seen some mentioned here for the LA area and I’m sure someone will chime in, or perhaps there are collectors/ dealers on this forum in your area that can arrange a private meeting.
    Best of luck in your hunt and like potato chips, you can never have just one.

DaveK and Foo2rama like this.
  3. 77deluxe May 1, 2019

Vintage is a very tricky area to start your focus without a lot of research. Welcome to the forum, a great place to start.

4. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur May 1, 2019

Homework is from 1 to 2 years.
    Cost is about $3 k noob tax.

DaveK, Edward53, Patrik83 and 3 others like this.
  5. Masterofkarate May 1, 2019

Welcome to OF. The best place on the internet to expand your knowledge.
    You should start looking at old omega seamasters on eBay etc and find a model you like. When you do, search the net for photos of a similar model using the reference number of the watch. Make comparisons. And ask the forum when you think you are ready for purchase.
    What pieces did you have in mind?

DaveK likes this.
  6. jeppehh May 1, 2019

Martin_J_N, DaveK and Foo2rama like this.
  7. FlyingSnoopy May 1, 2019

Welcome here
    Read, read, read
    Vintage needs a lot of homework.
    It is actually part of the fun
    Enjoy!

DaveK and Foo2rama like this.
  8. apsm100 applysome! May 1, 2019

Crazy how accurate this is for me. Noob tax is lower though (still being added on to though).

sonicosa likes this.
  9. Noles_88 Dog costume designer extraordinaire! May 1, 2019

For people to try and help you. What models are you thinking about starting with. Constellation, speedy, Seamaster. Lots of models out there. Also think about what size you are looking for. Also most important question. Price point. Cheers and welcome

DaveK likes this.
  10. MistaMurillo May 1, 2019

Thanks for the feedback gentleman!

I supposed I should have added some more info on what I have been looking into.
    I think a comfortable price range for me would be in the $1k range.
    I have been looking at both Constellation and Seamaster pieces heavily.

I will be in San Diego today and it just so happens that this shop is going to be right around the corner from where I will be staying at. I’m think I’m going to stop in and check out some pieces that they have there and hopefully talk to their certified Omega tech to gain some knowledge. https://m.yelp.com/biz/precision-watch-and-jewelry-san-diego-2

11. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 1, 2019

The for sale forums here are a good place to hunt.

Lucasssssss likes this.
  12. Shabbaz May 1, 2019

Dealer prices are much higher. Why dont you start here on the sales forum?

13. Dan S May 1, 2019

Looks like a good place to get a battery changed. :D

14. jsducote May 1, 2019

Dealer tax, noob tax, tomayto, tomahto.

Benbradstock likes this.
  15. Noles_88 Dog costume designer extraordinaire! May 1, 2019

Best advice I can give you. Have patience. If your patient you will find the piece you will absolutely love. If you rush it. You will either overpay or buy something you don’t love. Take your time. Study. Research. See your options.
    Also. Take the advice from above. The sales section here.

16. MistaMurillo May 3, 2019

Are redials frowned upon? I have come across some nice pieces that I am interested in that have redials done.

Also what are your thoughts on Chrono24??

17. jsducote May 3, 2019

I'm not interested in redials, because if I'm buying a vintage watch I want the "evidence" that it is what it's claimed to be. It's really up to you though, unless you plan on buying and selling.

I'm kinda new here too, but it doesn't look like Chrono24 has a very good reputation around here, mostly for being overpriced. I have an alert set and see a LOT of redialed vintage pieces which appear to have taken "creative license".

18. Mac5 May 3, 2019

Search ebay "Vintage Omega Seamaster" as an example. You will get a good idea as to what is available. Look for reference numbers of the watches you like then google the reference number and you will see more examples.

19. smt510 May 3, 2019

In all honesty DONT buy anything until you really know what you want. Your naturally going to love them all at first, generally try to find your style and develop your taste.

I'd reccomend buying from a reputable deal first. That way you know exactly what your getting and it's not fake. The worst would be buying a watch to later find out it's not what you thought it was. Ebay is a coin flip.

Just my 2cents, I was literally in the boat not to long ago!!!! So welcome and have fun with it, find out what you like and enjoy them.

20. Davidt May 4, 2019

Collectors almost exclusively avoid redials. The dialis the face of the watch and it somewhat negates the point of buying a Swiss Made, Omega, if the dial was repainted by Alan in Boston.

The best advice is take your time and decide upon a couple of specific models you like (Seamaster and Constellation probably includes several hundred various watches). Then use the search function on this forum and Google to research that reference so you have a reasonable idea what you're looking at. Before any purchase take pictures, whether in person or from the internet, and post them on this forum along with your thoughts on the watch. Plenty of people will help you critique a potential purchase.

JwRosenthal likes this.