Forums Latest Members

On My Bench - Vostok Rescue

1. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 13, 2022

Got an urgent PM from @haychmack to see if I could help with his nice Vostok Neptune dive watch.
    Timekeeping had become erratic and only seemed to work dial up.
    Being a masochist I said OK, send it over.

The watch turned up a couple of days later, and while it was quite attractive (for a Russian watch), it was, technically speaking, a “Norwegian Blue”. It wasn’t pining for the fjords though, it was deceased, dead, not a breath of life from the seconds hand.

HMVR1.JPG

After taking an “as received” photo, I removed the bracelet, took more photos and then went about opening the case.

HMVI1.JPG

With the pressed steel caseback removed, I was able to get a good look at the movement. A standard Vostok caliber 2416b, so nothing rare or unusual.

HMVI2.JPG

Looking closer I saw that the hairspring coil was seriously out of whack. Instead of nice evenly spaced coils, the spring was compressed to one side.

HMVI3.jpg

Looking further, it became obvious as to what the problem was. The stud that holds the end of the hairspring had departed the stud carrier.

HMVI4.jpg

With the balance assembly removed from the movement, it was plain to see.

HMVI5.jpg

It seemed to be a simple fix, just re-attach the sud to the carrier. However! Those cunning Russkies had a special way of holding the stud in the carrier. Not content with the tried and true method of holding the stud in the carrier by a simple screw used in millions of watches, or even the ETACHRON style system used by many others, this stud is held in a split carrier, so to insert the stud, it’s necessary to (1) open the “jaws” of the carrier and (2) insert the stud into the carrier.

HMVI6.jpg

Easy peasy as Jamie says, you only need one hand to hold the balance cock steady, one hand to open the jaws, and one hand to manipulate the stud into the carrier.
    Only having the standard issue of two hands, I had to start thinking.

::popcorn::

2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 13, 2022

The balance assembly on the bench trembles with the slightest breath of wind, so the first thing to think of was a way to secure the whole thing and hold it static.
    Thus was born the “Staticator”.

The Staticator.JPG

The staticator is a clean softwood board (pine) with two pins made from pivot wire. One of 1mm dia to go through the balance cock screw hole, one a bit larger and set lower to act as a stop to prevent the balance from rotating. All held down by a stainless clip from something in my junk box.
    The balance was lowered over the tall pin and aligned to the stop, and then all held down by the clip.
    Now that the assembly was secure, I needed to come up with a “Wedginator” to open the jaws of the carrier.

A suitable candidate was found in a surplus generic 1mm screwdriver. The blade was shaped and polished.

Wedge1.jpg

And now we have a razor fine wedge.

Wedge2.jpg

Meet the “Wedgeinator”.

Wedge3.JPG

And now it's almost set up.

Almost.

3. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Oct 13, 2022

Visegrips Comrade Oz... visegrips!

Is Russian way.

4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 13, 2022

Now that I had all of the components, there was still one issue, once the Wedgeinator was used to open the jaws, what would hold it there while I used my only two hands to manipulate the stud.
    Thus was born, the “Frictionator”. The Frictionator is a flexible plastic “P” clip held to the board with a stainless screw. With the Wedgeinator placed beneath it, I can lift it with my thumb while moving the Wedgeinator into position then releasing it to lock the Wedgeinator steady.
    Now we’re all set to go.

IMG_1616.JPG

Using the combined powers of these aids, I was able to open and hold the gap in the carrier and have two hands free.

HMVR4.jpg

It was then a simple task of aligning the stud to the carrier with tweezers and pushing it into place with a peg wood stick.

And success!

IMG_1617.JPG

Stud nicely secured again

StudDone.jpg

Now to get it back together and see if it works.

But that will have to wait until tomorrow.

I'm about to enjoy a nightcap.

Just a wee dram of Dahlwhinnie 15YO.

Edited Oct 13, 2022
  5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 13, 2022

Good old Aussie ingenuity…..hope you were drinking a beer whilst doing all of this to make it authentic Jim…

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

6. Canuck Oct 13, 2022

I’ve run into situations like that where the stud was glued to the hairspring. I found the job easier by using acetone to remove the stud from the hairspring, positioning the stud in the stud carrier, putting the balance and hairspring into position, placing the hairspring back into place in the stud, then re-gluing the hairspring to the stud.

7. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 13, 2022

Well, I was drinking a beer as I started writing this up, but not while doing the hands on work, besides, it wasn't hot enough down here anyway to chug frothies while working.

8. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Oct 13, 2022

I was marvelling on the 15 year old Dalwhinnie , until I realized, you went for the Indian version, the Dahl- Whinnie. Cheaper like the Russian watch ? Oh Dear...

Vitezi and STANDY like this.
  9. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 13, 2022

Werribee pronunciation ….:p:D

JimInOz likes this.
  10. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 14, 2022

With the balance now fixed, it was time to place it back into the movement.
    Usually an easy and satisfying task seeing the balance wheel start to oscillate as it goes in.
    However! Those dang Russkies had another trick up their sleeves.
    Notice something extra on the work mat?

Balance Ready.JPG

The observant among you will have spotted the small brass shim that is used to adjust the end shake of the balance wheel. Another labour/time saving design feature?

Shim Close.JPG

This can be a real PITA when installing the balance as rotating the balance cock usually displaces the shim. Thanks to Google I found that the best method is to install the balance very loosely, then slide the shim into place and secure the balance screw. So place the shim in the gap between the cock and the plate…..

ShimReady.jpg

And gently ease it in with a pegwood stick.

Shim Inserted.JPG

The balance screw can now be secured, the caseback seal lubricated and after a final inspection, the case is closed up.

Closing Up.JPG

11. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 14, 2022

12. Eve Oct 14, 2022

Love reading your write-ups and learn a few nice ideas :thumbsup: just recently went through your old 6139 write up, which was usefull when i was working on mine.
    had a good laugh when i saw the use of "-nator" endings, since i am guilty doing this for years myself as well ::facepalm2::
    my wife is called "Schatzinator" which is translated to Englisch like "darlingnator" :D

20221013_225053.jpg 20221007_234034.jpg 20221007_234600.jpg 20221010_212237.jpg

Edited Oct 14, 2022
    JimInOz likes this.
  13. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 14, 2022

Forgot to mention that I did some regulating and adjusting before I closed it. This was a decent trace (dial down), other positions varied a bit, but it's a Russian tool watch, not a COSC Swiss chronometer.

1 - TG_Test.JPG

After the case was closed properly, I did a leak test to ensure that the case was at least water resistant.

LeakTest.gif

PS: It's a GIF so you may need to open it in another tab.

Edited Oct 14, 2022
    haychmack, WestCoastTime and Eve like this.
  14. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 14, 2022

And now it's on the Cyclotest for a couple of days to see if everything holds together.

Cyclotest.JPG

15. Waltesefalcon Oct 14, 2022

I find it interesting that you opted to make so many 'inators' to assist in this repair, rather than simply having a third arm grafted on a' la Zaphod Beeblebrox.

JimInOz and RevZMan123 like this.