Omega watches with stickers inside the case back

Posts
66
Likes
23
Hi,

I recently found out that one of the vintage Omega watches I bought years ago when I started the watch collection hobby had a sticker glued on the inside of the case back. Then I found several watches like that floating in the internet, including one that was posted in this forum 3 years ago.

Usually, they are stickers stamped on the case back meant for a quartz movement, but just happens the case is the same used in a similar mechanical watch. So far, they all use 10xx calibers.

What's the story here? I know that Omega used to strick thru reference numbers and print another one in many of the 50-60 watches and sometimes use a Seamaster case back on a Speedmaster (such the the TV Dial chronograph), so I wouldn't be surprised if this was something they did in the 70s to save money. But it looks too cheap really.

What do you think?

Edited:
 
Posts
7,057
Likes
13,017
Probably as insulation between the metal caseback & the movement ?
interesting observation, the only Omega stickers I know are the STS-1 logo Speedmaster ones
45 years ago...
.
 
Posts
2,801
Likes
3,727
I’ve never seen a sticker like that before, but I wouldn’t be surprised that it is real for the era. For example, the movement shown has a round sticker with the serial number on it and those routinely are missing. I suspect we haven’t seen a lot of these caseback stickers because they simply were removed. Or perhaps, it was supposed to be removed before installation and someone forgot to remove it?
 
Posts
66
Likes
23
This is another one. Same characteristics, case back meant for quartz movement and movement used here is 102x. The first one I posted above is 1012, so they are all in the 10xx family.