Forums Latest Members
  1. Adizzy Jul 14, 2020

Hey everyone,

I need help from the experts. I'm new to watches and looking for my first vintage piece and love the look and history of omega Vintage pieces. Can you take a look at the pics below and give me your take on which model omega this is and it's value? It is up for auction tomorrow and I want to know whether it will be a good first piece to buy. Sorry the pictures aren't great, that's all I've been given.

Thanks!

Screenshot_20200714-131302~2.png Screenshot_20200714-134004~2.png
  2. Canuck Jul 14, 2020

Don’t be in a hurry for this one. It is not rare. We really need to see the mechanism in the watch, and the inside of the case back. Always allow for the possibility (probability) that the watch will need to be serviced. So depending on where you live, allow $200 or more above what you pay for the watch. If the seller is unable to give you those pictures I have asked for, I suggest you don’t buy it!

connieseamaster likes this.
  3. Adizzy Jul 14, 2020

Thanks Canuck, I really appreciate your reply. Unfortunately I've asked for more but the auctioneer won't send me pictures of the mechanism. Ok great I will be sure to hold off and wait for a better piece, or spend the extra money to get it from an AD. You put my mind at ease.

4. OmegaP99 Jul 14, 2020

Seems a safe bet that's a redial (refinished/repainted dial) as well. The Omega font is generally finer and more elegant on an original dial. You may have learned already that originality is valued in vintage watches, so this may not be the fully vintage piece you're looking for as a first Omega. An original piece will also retain or grow in value over time, which is useful should you later decide to trade it off for a diver or pilot model for example. Mainly however, find the best one you can afford so you can keep it forever and even pass it along as a family heirloom.

The vintage Omega Seamster, Constellation, and other dress watches from the 50's and 60's all have a similar vibe and come in a variety of case materials and lug shapes, dial variations, etc., so you should be able to find something you like for not too much money. Some fun quirky elements such as "bumper" movements can make these fun to collect. Auctions tend to produce better results for the buyer during this COVID economic downturn as compared to pieces with a strict asking price, so I would encourage you to continue that route for the best deal.

5. Dan S Jul 14, 2020

No, don't buy that one. Keep looking for one in better condition with an original dial.

6. Canuck Jul 14, 2020

I’ll go a step further. The indexes at the five minute marks On the dial are crudely stamped from behind, possibly in some kind of punch press. I don’t know about the others who have seen this picture, but I have never seen an Omega with such a crude dial. Let some other sucker buy it.

OmegaP99 and Dan S like this.
  7. Dan S Jul 14, 2020

Interesting, you can see that the hour markers are embossed, I didn't realize that. However, the minute markers are badly misaligned, and the logo and OMEGA are completely wrong. The OP will benefit from stepping back and reading the forum for a few months.

OmegaP99 and connieseamaster like this.
  8. Edward53 Jul 15, 2020

That is a :eek: BAD redial. The word Omega looks to have been painted by a small child. Always essential to zoom in as close as you can.

9. Adizzy Jul 15, 2020

Thanks everyone! Love the feedback

OmegaP99 likes this.
  10. RubenDhae Jul 15, 2020

Thank you for posting this. I'm in a very similair situation (looking to buy my first vintage watch, ever), so reading threads like this really trains my eye. I'm learning a lot from such threads. Good luck!

Adizzy likes this.