Omega Vintage DeVille 111.0118 Movement and Authentication Check

Hi there just bought a gold plated de ville which is probably from the 1970’s. I’m wanting to check its authenticity and model with the movement in the photos. Also, if anyone owns this model, do you wind it upwards or downwards to get the time moving?

appreciate expert opinions or any help / advice here.

Yes it's genuine.

Wind it clockwise or upward.

Yes it's genuine.

Wind it clockwise or upward.
Thank you for your advice. For some reason when I wind it upwards, while it makes the clicky tactile feel as you would get when winding, it goes infinitely. However, it seems that the time only moves when I wind downwards and I get the resistance to stop winding. Should this be the case or there was perhaps a wrong installation of the crown?

also based on the photo of the movement, do you think it requires servicing? And generally how often would you service a watch like this?

finally would you know what the 39 , 695977 number indicates? Is this the serial number?

If you can infinitely wind it (turning the crown clockwise) and it never stops, the mainspring is broken. It could be something else but probably the mainspring (most common). Do you see the gears turning when you wind it?

You can't change anything to get it to wind in reverse.

Sounds like your movement has a problem. Is this watch an heirloom? Repair will be cheap compared to other models but still pricey if you have never had it done before.

Yes, that is the production / serial number. You can find the date pretty easy via google:

upload_2024-1-18_10-1-49.png

If you can infinitely wind it (turning the crown clockwise) and it never stops, the mainspring is broken. It could be something else but probably the mainspring (most common). Do you see the gears turning when you wind it?

You can't change anything to get it to wind in reverse.

Sounds like your movement has a problem. Is this watch an heirloom? Repair will be cheap compared to other models but still pricey if you have never had it done before.

Yes, that is the production / serial number. You can find the date pretty easy via google:

upload_2024-1-18_10-1-49.png

Wow thanks a lot. I really appreciate this. Sorry this might be quite silly but I’ve attached a video to show that the time markers still move when I turn the crown clockwise. Can I confirm that I’m winding it in the right direction in the video?

https://youtube.com/shorts/FxEu0T1x87A?si=RTCtTJks_9STfEbc

also on the caseback there is a number that is reversed that looks like 631 at the top - is this normal and what does it signify? As I wasn’t able to research and find more info about it.

appreciate the opinions greatly.

Have pushed the crown all the way in?
Yes I have. It seems that it should be wounded upwards? But in the video, is the direction of winding correct?

Yes I have. It seems that it should be wounded upwards? But in the video, is the direction of winding correct?

and would you know anything about the reversed number on the caseback?

If the crown is pushed all the way in, then the problem is with the set lever / stem. Pretty easy fix for a watchmaker.
Your watch is not engaging the mainspring (how it is wound). When the crown is pulled out, the hands are adjusted. Push the crown in to wind.

See if you can gently pull the crown out then firmly (gently firmly) push it in toward the case. There's a chance that the entire stem comes out. This might get the stem to jump back into place with the set lever.

If you are turning the crown and the hands are moving you are not winding the watch. Take it to a watchmaker.

Thank you again. You have been very helpful. Appreciate the knowledge and advice. My final question - would you know anything about the reversed number on the caseback? And what the number at the top indicates? Mine looks like its 631. And is it normal for it to be reversed? As I notice its usually not.

If you google "omega 111 0118"
You get the Omega Deville series. So, basically a part number.
upload_2024-1-18_21-52-9.png

631? No clue.

Wow thanks a lot. I really appreciate this. Sorry this might be quite silly but I’ve attached a video to show that the time markers still move when I turn the crown clockwise. Can I confirm that I’m winding it in the right direction in the video?
Video looks to me you are winding wrong direction.
https://youtube.com/shorts/FxEu0T1x87A?si=RTCtTJks_9STfEbc

also on the caseback there is a number that is reversed that looks like 631 at the top - is this normal and what does it signify? As I wasn’t able to research and find more info about it.

appreciate the opinions greatly.

Sorry my response got imbedded in your note

it looks like you are winding in the wrong direction

Sorry my response got imbedded in your note

it looks like you are winding in the wrong direction
Yeah i figured too. It should be upwards instead of downwards like what I did in my video right?

also would you have any idea on the reversed number on the caseback at the top? That looks like 631 and what it means? As i dont usually see it reversed. Thank you.

That number means nothing to anyone of us here, perhaps a mark indicating which case top it belonged with, perhaps something added by a previous watchmaker, we will likely never know as it doesn't seem typical. The black sharpie marking looks like a service/repair date.

Omega did not make watch cases in that era, so it's possible that the 631 is a case makers contract or reference number.

The case was made for Omega by Central Watch Case Company/La Centrale, Gehäuse; Biel, Switzerland.

As to the real meaning of the numbers, I doubt we'll ever know.

That number means nothing to anyone of us here, perhaps a mark indicating which case top it belonged with, perhaps something added by a previous watchmaker, we will likely never know as it doesn't seem typical. The black sharpie marking looks like a service/repair date.

Thank you so much for your help again. Im mindblown by all the advice given here.

Omega did not make watch cases in that era, so it's possible that the 631 is a case makers contract or reference number.

The case was made for Omega by Central Watch Case Company/La Centrale, Gehäuse; Biel, Switzerland.

As to the real meaning of the numbers, I doubt we'll ever know.

thank you so much for the info. Have you seen the 3 numbers at the top reversed before though? Perhaps in your experience seeing casebacks of vintage omegas. Thanks again for your insight.

Thank you so much for your help again. Im mindblown by all the advice given here.
Indeed this is a very generous community of knowledgeable people. If you would like to participate in the community, it would be great if you could introduce yourself and add an avatar. And if you are interested in supporting the forum and viewing it without ads, you can purchase a 1-year Tier 1 membership for only $50.