Forums Latest Members
  1. RPW Aug 8, 2022

Hey everyone I need some help with an ID on this Vintage Seamaster. Also, is it authentic and has it been redialed, if so how could you tell? Thanks.

6568BA73-857D-4480-9164-9CD764533A09.jpeg B7BDE281-C513-4D04-9105-B22E839EC7F7.jpeg
  2. RPW Aug 8, 2022

PS. I know it’s missing the second hand, does that drop a lot of value?

3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 8, 2022

I'd say the redial dropped the value more than the missing seconds hand.

Based on the quality of the photos I'd say the watch is genuine.

Mark020 and MtV like this.
  4. janice&fred Aug 8, 2022

Also, beware of the missing second hand as it's a fairly common ploy by slippery sellers to mask more serious problems like a bad gear.

RPW likes this.
  5. MtV Aug 8, 2022

Interesting strategy :D But yeah, +1 for redial, and not a good one. Otherwise it wouldn’t have been apparent with the bad pictures…

RPW likes this.
  6. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Aug 8, 2022

Dear Omega collectors ! My name is....insert here. I'm unsure due to my internet searches, if this Dial is original or not. .....insert your opinion here. I'm from.... Can I please have your educated opinion ? Thank you you for your time and help. Kind regards. ..... Insert your name here..... Manners matter. And: Bad redial, yes. Interesting , rare model ? No.

Mark020 likes this.
  7. RPW Aug 8, 2022

Thank you for your input, in your opinion what would the value be, I understand probably worthless to a collector but what about anybody else?

8. RPW Aug 8, 2022

Thank you for you help, and sorry about the poor manners, not how I wanna start off on this forum.

watchyouwant likes this.
  9. Olhenry56 Aug 8, 2022

I watch for inexpensive Seamasters on eBay a bit, and from what I've seen, a redialed watch without a seconds hand would probably go for around 300 USD. If the movement is clean and you take clear picture, maybe a little more.

RPW likes this.
  10. Davidt Aug 9, 2022

If you’re a newbie, a vintage Seamaster with a crappy redial and missing seconds hand isn’t how I’d recommend starting off.

The more you look at it and get to know the details of vintage watches, the more the redial will both you.

Plus you will likely have to spend considerable time and between $25-75 to get a seconds hand.

Much, much, much better to bin this one off and find a better example.

RPW likes this.
  11. RPW Aug 9, 2022

Thank you for the help, I read the “Learn how to fish” thread on this forum but where else would you recommend someone goes in order to gain some knowledge on spotting fakes or redials. Is there a catalog of authentic vintage faces that can be referenced?

12. Olhenry56 Aug 9, 2022

Here on OF is the best place that I've found to learn. If you like a particular reference, say 2577, then you can type into Google "site:Omegaforums.net 2577" to see photos of authentic examples that members have posted. You can also search "redial" to see many examples that members like you and me have shared with questions of originality and read the expert responses. That will clue you in on what to look for out in the wild.

Then, if you find one for sale that you've researched and you think is authentic, share it here with many photos, explain why you think it's good and what you think might be a reason to be concerned and ask for the experts to share their thoughts.

RPW and Fulton8or like this.
  13. Davidt Aug 9, 2022

‘Fraid not. As above, OF is the best place to learn but there isn’t a one stop library for dials for each reference. You simply need to spend the hours researching the references you’re interested in to learn the details. After you’ve spent hundreds of hours looking at dials you’ll be able to pick most redials out of a line up at twenty paces.

RPW likes this.
  14. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Aug 9, 2022

Price is no guarantee but, if you’re looking for a vintage Omega, you can probably find a reasonable Geneve from late 60s 70s for about £400-450 and a half decent Seamaster from 60s early 70s for about £600-750.

15. janice&fred Aug 9, 2022

If you are browsing vintage Omegas then you are already where you should be-right on this site. When you are really looking to buy, same suggestion applies-this site. You should be perfectly safe doing all your Omega research and buying right here.