Forums Latest Members
  1. ZIELSZIEK Aug 2, 2020

Hello people of OF,
    I am considering the watch below and wondering if it is worthwhile purchasing.
    I believe strongly that it is a correct example, with a proper dial, handset, case and crown. IMG_20200802_180741.jpg IMG_20200802_182536.jpg IMG_20200802_180823.jpg IMG_20200802_180759.jpg
    And here is what's bumming me about this:
    1. I really do not know what I should be paying for it. The seller is one hour's drive away from me so I could actually see the watch if I decide to go there. If this watch were the stainless steel with black dial version I would have known what to offer him. I was thinking about 500 euro, but I do not want to insult him with a lowball offer.
    2. I really like this dial and was wondering if it could be described as being uncommon?
    On the other hand, the 31mm diameter(no problem for my small wrist, just thinking in perspective), cracked crystal, and gold plated case without the Seamaster designation and the need of service make me wonder if I should consider this at all, given that I believe it is not the most desirable of the technical dials variant.
    I know my watchmaker will service this for + 175 euro(excluding any parts that may need replacing), and I'm expecting a new crystal will be upwards of 50 euro.

Any opinions are greatly appreciated.
    Thank you for taking the time to read this.

2. SkunkPrince Aug 2, 2020

Do not make the mistake of considering what others think is desirable when buying a watch for yourself. If you like it, then by all means buy it.

Omega made many gold-filled cases. Not every watch was a Seamaster. Every watch needs a servicing sometime.

sonicosa and ZIELSZIEK like this.
  3. Davidt Aug 2, 2020

As you say this is the small, 31mm version and is gold plate so imo much less desirable than the 34mm steel versions.

It’s not something I’d consider at any price but I guess around 400 is about right for a private sale.

Dan S and ZIELSZIEK like this.
  4. ZIELSZIEK Aug 2, 2020

Thank you very much for the advice. I'll call the seller tomorrow and see what he has to say.

NotAClue likes this.
  5. Dan S Aug 2, 2020

I don’t know the market where you live, but 500 euros seems quite high for a small gold plated watch like this. In an eBay auction I suppose it would sell for 300 or less. Just a guess. Of course, if you really want it, you may have to pay more. Sellers aren’t always reasonable.

6. janice&fred Aug 2, 2020

It certainly has a nice Bauhaus style going on but 500 euro, plated, needs crystal and service and 31mm? I think Dan was being generous at $300. Sure buy it if you love it but it seems the seller has unreasonable expectations.

ZIELSZIEK likes this.
  7. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Aug 2, 2020

While it may be "only" a gold plated case it appears to be in excellent condition. These dials are even less common in plated cases like this. As others have noted if you like it then it is certainly worth consideration.

In this condition I honestly don't think 500 euros would be overpaying. This would likely be closer to 750 from a dealer.

As had been said here many times, condition, condition, condition.

ZIELSZIEK, sonicosa, Zapatta and 2 others like this.
  8. Davidt Aug 2, 2020

It’s important to remember that prices are higher in Europe so in a U.K./EU eBay auction I don’t see an example in this condition ever selling around the $300 mark.

ZIELSZIEK and Dan S like this.
  9. Brianstoops Aug 2, 2020

Hey Folks. Looks like a redial to me. Logo looks wrong. “Swiss made” looks off.

I’ll dig around for some pics for “evidence”.

-Brian

janice&fred likes this.
  10. TimeODanaos Aug 2, 2020

Hi, @ZIELSZIEK ! I haven't seen this dial before, but senior OF-ers will know. My 2c is, this reference is branded Geneve, not Seamaster, which makes sense to me when I look at it. Also - are you really sure it's 31mm? You're the man on the spot, but I find that implausible for an early 1960s effort with a would-be on-trend aesthetic.
    Good luck!

11. ZIELSZIEK Aug 4, 2020

Sorry for the late reply people.
    I have spoken to the seller and his asking price was 500 euros, which I gladly met, citing the crystal and need of service.
    After that, he reconsidered saying it didn't feel "right" letting it go for that price and the ad has been taken down since. I might pursue him with a slightly higher offer as I really really like the watch.
    A sincere thank you to those that took their time to help.

12. ZIELSZIEK Aug 4, 2020

Are you sure? I have compared it with a known good example as well and while the letters(especially the A's) and vertical crosshair look a bit "soft" in the pictures I believe it is nothing but the crappy seller's camera.

Please do, I'm really interested.

13. Brianstoops Aug 4, 2020

Here’s a pic of a white technical dial I purchased a couple years ago. Reference 135.011.
    2D6ADE45-95D7-4A31-B4DD-5F6F7AA2AABE.jpeg

Here’s a pic of another white technic dial that I almost (originality was NOT the deterrent) purchased.

062F35AC-352D-411B-98F4-C8A45E310CF7.jpeg

Like (I assume) most folks here, I stare at Omegas WAY to much. To the point where you can just look at some pics and see if something looks off.

When I saw this thread, the dial just felt off. The logo is off. The print is off. The Swiss made is off.
    We all have our “crew” of collectors that we bounce opinions off of. When I ran your pics by a couple of folks who I trust, they agreed the dial wasn’t 100% authentic.

It screams redial to me.....to the point where I felt the need to chime in.

I realize that my “examples” are of different references than the one you’ve posted. But I think they’ll help show what an original dial looks like....if that makes sense.

Lastly, some of the comments above are from collectors who know WAY more than I’ll ever know. Folks who I have tons of respect for and who I’ve turned to for advice on purchases myself.

Take all this for what it’s worth. Just wanted to chime in. To me it looks like a redial.

Here’s a site I’ve used in the past for reference. Check out their pics and compare.

http://www.omegaseamaster600.com/1964-omega-seamaster-600-technic-date-ref-136-011/

Also, note the way the crosshairs go through Omega.

Edited Aug 4, 2020