Forums Latest Members

Omega Speedmaster Pro 1863 - Cannot wind the watch

1. JVSA Nov 6, 2019

Few months after my warranty expired I ran into the issue that I no longer can wind my Omega Speedmaster 1863. I normally wear my watch every day, but since I was out of town I left it at home for 5 days. The morning after I came back, I could not wind it - the crown turns but nothing happens. Any idea what could be the problem before taking it to the service and paying big $$ for repair?
    THANK YOU!

2. gbesq Nov 6, 2019

Could be a broken mainspring, but I would not expect that to happen on a relatively modern Speedy.

3. Claven2 Nov 6, 2019

Have you tried pulling the crown in/out a few times?

It could be that the winding clutch isn't engaging with the stem.

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 7, 2019

Do you hear the slight clicking sound you normally hear when winding? If so, and you can wind the watch without it ever coming to a stop, then the mainspring is broken. This will require a full service. Since it's so close to being under warranty, I would mention this to your AD or Boutique when you take it in , and ask if they would cover the repairs as a courtesy.

Cheers, Al

5. JVSA Nov 7, 2019

I can hear the clicking sound when winding it, but it would not start. I also tried pulling the crown in/out several times but no results. I guess, the only option remaining is to take it to the authorized service.
    Thank you all for your comments and help.

6. JVSA Nov 7, 2019

I can hear the clicking sound when winding it, but it would not start. I also tried pulling the crown in/out several times but no results. I guess, the only option remaining is to take it to the authorized service.
    Thank you all for your comments and help.

7. gbesq Nov 7, 2019

From what you’ve described, I’m pretty sure that it’s a broken mainspring. As Archer noted, that requires a full service. His suggestion that you try to persuade Omega to repair it under warranty is a good one. The watch should be as good as new once repaired. Good luck.

8. JVSA Nov 7, 2019

I'll give it a try. Thank you!

9. JVSA Nov 10, 2019

I would like to ask the members from the Los Angeles area has anyone used Omega Service Center in Culver City and would they recommend it for servicing the Omega watches, in my case the Speedmaster Pro 1863. Thanks!

10. rainking Nov 11, 2019

I have. I live in Marina so only a couple miles away. Justin, the customer service manager in there, is a great guy. Very helpful. They fixed my trilogy Railmaster recently after it got water inside simply from a rainstorm. Also had a circa-2000 Seamaster chrono serviced there and it came out great last year or the year before. I have no hesitation using them, especially for the problem you are experiencing.

11. JVSA Nov 12, 2019

Very useful information, thank you!
    I went first to the Omega boutique in Costa Mesa where they told me that they ship all watches to an authorized Omega service in Seattle. I was not sure I wanted do that and pay for the shipping (on top of the $750 service charge) if another authorized service center is less than an hour drive from me. And also, their sales person telling me that Omega Watches shall be serviced every 4-5 years despite the Omega's web site recommendation of 5-8 years did not make me feel worm and cozy about that place and their recommendations. So, tomorrow I will be visiting the Culver City service center to fix my beloved Speedy (-:

12. Meme-Dweller Nov 12, 2019

Does the seconds subdial hand move for a few seconds if you shake the entire watch back and forth quickly for like 2 seconds?

13. JVSA Nov 12, 2019

No, it does not.