Forums Latest Members
  1. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Nov 18, 2019

This is a nice original watch, that is in generally fair condition. However it appears correct and that is a great asset. The main holdup is the dial and bezel.

These two are the most significant value components, and they are poor. The bezel is really worn. The dial is missing lume on at least most of the plots. There are two damages on the hour subdial.

These two factors will hold the watch well under $10,000 in any market, especially today.

The case also shows considerable wear but its also correct, and does not show loss of metal. While it has a lot of surface scratches, I think a deep clean, with a cloth polish (no abrasive) will make a difference. It should come up very nicely.

The case back does have lots of scratches, but the light may be exaggerating that, and the case back bevel is very well defined and in the correct position. A good sign.

The crown is 24 tooth, the pushers look original. I do not think the crystal is original.

The bracelet looks quite loose, but serviceable, and the endlinks, if real No6's, make the entire deal a good one financially.

This quality of watch is extremely hard to value accurately. It is not a fine watch, but it is a correct, and original.

With fair quality watches, especially those that are essentially correct like this one, its a lot easier to live with the poor quality dial and bezel when it was not so expensive - this one was priced about right in my opinion.

I can love a watch like this at £5,500. But if it was £7,500 I would feel a bit sick. A very good Ed White will sell for over USD 25,000. It will also sell quite quickly, where as it is not so easy today to find many willing buyers of Ed Whites with lots of issues. (See the latest WOK sale Ed White that sold for £5,500 + commission)

Send it to Simon Freese, though he is pretty busy. If you are patient you will get a good result.

joe band and ttsp52 like this.
  2. Cuttysark Nov 18, 2019

Nice watch, dial, patina and a uber rare double ref 1035/1501 with end links 6!!
    The bracelet was only produced for a quarter: 4/66.

3. CalLeach Nov 18, 2019

Thanks for your thoughts, very helpful. I am arranging with Simon this week and hopefully have the work done in the new year.

4. Davidt Nov 18, 2019

I think you've got a nice watch there at a very good price.

I agree the bezel is average at best, but I think that crystal is making the dial look poor. Some polywatch and elbow grease (or a new crystal) will make the dial look a thousand times better and I think reveal it to be quite nice, even with the small areas of missing lume. The case also looks very good and honest, which is a big draw for me. The bracelet is then the icing on the cake.

Obviously values are very subjective, especially when discussing unrestored vintage watches, with some issues and using average photos. However, I think this would sell for significantly more than you paid if listed on eBay with a polished crystal and better photos.

5. Passover Nov 18, 2019

Regarding pricing: Isn't the real price of the watch itself 4000 GBP?

I'm not so familiar with the braclet/endlink prices that were paid recently but I think 1500 GBP is not so unrealistic,
    especially as it is -as pointed out by @Cuttysark- very rare?

6. MCC Nov 18, 2019

That looks like a very nice catch, clearly not in A1 condition but well worth what you paid for it.

Spacefruit likes this.
  7. Cuttysark Nov 19, 2019

The end link seems to be original. And as we know they are very wanted. The barcelet has a concrete worth. For the price paid was a bargain.

8. Screwbacks Nov 19, 2019

wow. another rare find indeed. seems all original. at least in that condition and reasonable price, you can never suspect any relumed markers, refurbished dial, polished case and incorrect period bracelet. Congrats.;)

Cuttysark likes this.
  9. CalLeach Nov 19, 2019

Excuse my lack of knowledge but why are the end links and bracelet so rare? As I look around I did notice a lot of ed whites are on leather straps etc.

10. Davidt Nov 19, 2019

They get worn out over the years so when they were worth peanuts, people simply threw them out and chucked cheap, generic bracelets on instead

11. CalLeach Nov 27, 2019

Little update on the watch, I took it to Simon yesterday and he had a good look at it. All original and in good condition, only non original parts are dust cover and a service crown with extra teeth. So I’ve asked him to source correct replacements. We had a good chat about bezel, still can’t decide what to do regarding that! It’s booked in for a full service and sympathetic restoration.

Passover likes this.
  12. CalLeach Jan 12, 2020

Good evening,

Hope everyone is well, so Simon has called me and my watch is finished! I am going to leave it with him a little while longer as I am still trying to source the correct 24 tooth crown, a correct dust cover (it currently has service replacement) and possible a better DON bezel if I can sell a kidney!
    I will add on photos of the watch include the movement when I collect it. I would just like to say thank you to everyone who has helped out with their impressive knowledge and advice, I have been messaging a couple of people privately as well and I really appreciate their help.
    If anyone has a heads up for the parts I need to complete the watch I would really appreciate it.
    Thanks
    Cal

13. Capt Cave Man Jan 12, 2020

Can't wait to see some photos when you get her back @CalLeach :thumbsup:

14. Luca.P Jan 12, 2020

5500 pounds for an Ed White?! In that condition!? That just might be the bargain of the century. You´re a very lucky man - congrats on the find!

15. Patrik83 Jan 12, 2020

It has the correct crown, or am I missing something? Is it a Seamaster crown?

16. CalLeach Jan 12, 2020

Perhaps I’m missing something, I’m new to vintage omega so quite possible! I was advised it should have 24 tooth crown, rather than the service one fitted.

17. padders Oooo subtitles! Jan 12, 2020

That looks to me and apparently many others exactly like a 24 tooth flat foot crown. Note the boss of Speedmaster info (Spacefruit) also stated it looks right. His opinions hold great weight.

18. CalLeach Jan 12, 2020

Yes I did notice that but Simon Freese spotted straight away it was a 30 something tooth crown? Worth a zoom in on a photo, I’ll have a check as I do t have watch at the moment!

19. padders Oooo subtitles! Jan 12, 2020

Thats not a 32 tooth, but count the teeth and check. Yours looks very like mine:

IMG_2602.jpeg

20. Patrik83 Jan 12, 2020

I counted from one of the pictures in the first post and came to 24.