Forums Latest Members

Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th Anniversary in Steel - Expectations

1. Pepe Lucas May 17, 2019

What I really like about this hobby is that everyone has different taste. There are a lot of watch companies with thousands of thousands watches. From cheap to crazy prices. Some people might have time pieces that they might think they are the most beautiful thing in the world and to someone else it might look like crap. So buy if you like it and don’t if you don’t.

Om3ga321, Horai551, VjaceCZ and 2 others like this.
  2. taz101 May 17, 2019

I think regardless of the gut reaction from if people like it or not this will go down as a special piece simply due to the 50th tie in and the fact it has something no moonwatch has had being the famous quote on the back - that alone makes it special. Seeing how the Spectre 7007 pieces sold out within a few months, I see this being unavailable in a much shorter time frame

3. Watchongrave May 17, 2019

Ok, this one has grown on me for the past few hours and Now I think I love it.
    Several things on the watch still ramain in my mind that it would've been better with or without though.

4. CJpickup57 May 17, 2019

I am glad I made the purchase I did on Thursday before the embargo was lifted today. I took a gamble on my personal grail watch and bought it earlier than I planned on and surprisingly at a reasonable price. After seeing the pictures of the new LE, I am even happier I made the choice I did. How that’s possible, I do not know cause I feel as giddy as a child on Christmas waiting for Monday’s delivery :D.

I think the prices might go up a bit on the piece I bought based on the looks of this one and the high LE number of production.

I excitedly opened this thread up first thing this morning to see what had transpired while I slept and the pictures posted so far have not captured my interest or made me move towards my wallet (possibly because it is empty from Thursday *shrug* ha ha). I like it because of what it represents and the newer technology in it, but I cannot see myself wearing it. I agree with the others that suggested they should have the sub dial and case back illustrations swapped. That 9 o’clock sub dial has a lot going on in such a small place.

Nice piece overall, but not my personal taste. Hope others that are excited for it stay that way and enjoy it even more once they get delivery of them :thumbsup:.

5. acegale May 17, 2019

sorry do u mean somewhere on earth omega boutique still has snoopy?

6. kilofinal May 17, 2019

Yuck. I like the bracelet but that's about it. Hopefully next year's Apollo 13 50th anniversary will be more appealing

Lurk41, david5807 and djmusicman like this.
  7. Pepe Lucas May 17, 2019

I know that like two years ago my OB started calling people about an Snoopy that was never picked up. They got a lot of people excited but at the end someone from California got it.

kilofinal likes this.
  8. Johnnyb8183 May 17, 2019

I’m not sure that’s a bad thing.... that’s the only part of the watch I don’t ‘love.’ I have a deposit already down and I can’t imagine asking for the money back. The bracelet is bad ass.

9. destroid May 17, 2019

I assume the stz011629 bracelet can be used on any modern Speedmaster.
    Finally back to classic end links.

10. R3D9 May 17, 2019

Personally, I think it’s kind of BUTT-ugly ::rimshot::

I’ll be here all day, folks. :p

11. Panjo May 17, 2019

Where its ends?

12. abrod520 May 17, 2019

It's nice, rather elegant but I don't think it quite makes the impact I'd expect for $10k. I'll have to think it over and see how I feel when the time comes to either complete my purchase or get my deposit back.

I definitely would have preferred a display back and a simpler subdial (maybe the bootprint as others have suggested) too

MCG555 likes this.
  13. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' May 17, 2019

<juvenile-ace-ventura-humor>

Excuse me Sir...I'd like to ASS you a question : what exactly do you mean a-BUTT that?

</juvenile-ace-ventura-humor>

:p

Om3ga321, Linzer and R3D9 like this.
  14. R3D9 May 17, 2019

Sorry for being an ass-hole about this watch butt I can’t help myself.

Butt in all honesty though, I liked it ass soon as I saw it!

15. R3D9 May 17, 2019

Interesting fact I learned from a friend who has already received a hands-on: If you try to engage the reset pusher while the chrono is still running, the sub-dial squirts you with a proprietary, mocha-tinted, liquid version of Ceragold.

My friend says it works a charm... in his words: “you only make that mistake once.”

Om3ga321 and Mongooseman like this.
  16. jlam1127 May 17, 2019

Hmmmm... Kinda torn on this one... It is growing on me though...it just looks similar to the Meteorite and after I overpaid on it, it's hard to justify two timepieces so similar in look (gold trimming, grey dial)....Anyone know of a good reputable place on the interwebz for me to offload the Meteorite??

17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 17, 2019

Bracelet is 020STZ011626.

Cheers, Al

18. Meme-Dweller May 17, 2019

You know when you have a real Moonwatch when even the astronaut is mooning you.

larryganz, JesterP, FinWatch and 3 others like this.
  19. abrod520 May 17, 2019

I will say it looks a lot nicer in the live photos from Hodinkee and Fratello et al. Would prefer to be able to see this one in the flesh before making a decision, but even if I could do so at the last minute it’s still a 2-hour drive to the closest Boutique :/

20. taz101 May 17, 2019

I agree in person I think this would be breathtaking

Pepe Lucas likes this.