Forums Latest Members

Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th Anniversary in Steel - Expectations

1. MCG555 May 17, 2019

Overall - fantastic job!!
    I am not sure if I like the gray background part of the dial though...
    Have to see it live...

2. Tycho May 17, 2019

I really wanted to like this watch but not one I’ll be rushing out to buy :(

FinWatch and david5807 like this.
  3. djmusicman May 17, 2019

Mmmm... The gold one, which is pretty much a copy, design wise, of the one from the 60's is much nicer. On the steel one they have tried to do something new and it's garish. How many times do we have to reinvent the wheel.

On a positive note, the bracelet looks like a good one and should replace the oversized one they have on the standard moonwatch.

4. mblease May 17, 2019

Agree, I fear they've raised the Tackymeter to the next level. Just doesn't feel like a Moonwatch to me.

robinhook and djmusicman like this.
  5. watcholone May 17, 2019

I'm all in. Luckily not too much gold – just right for the celebration kind of mood.
    Some very nice details, high quality execution.
    Yes, I called my OB to keep me on that list.

6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector May 17, 2019

Im afraid the gold subdial will looks like chook scribble on the wrist compared to in close up photographs we are all looking at now :whistling:

robinhook, kilofinal and david5807 like this.
  7. mblease May 17, 2019

Spoke with the manager at the OB in London regarding the bracelet. Apparently there is no part number yet that's been allocated to the bracelet so are unable to order although he sounded fairly sure that they would be available later in the year.

LeonDeBayonne and Pun like this.
  8. JesterP May 17, 2019

Initially a mixed bag of responses it seems. I think it's a good shot at a hard target, having to use gold is a tough one to start with. I would have been happier with a more simple design. I still cant work out why this watch is soooooo expensive thou. It's a no from me unfortunately

robinhook and david5807 like this.
  9. anselmw May 17, 2019

Congrats to all those who got one. I am a big speedy collector and still wish this was all steel. Even if some gold they could have just put some in back. Gold is not bad but still too much for me. Box is cool but now I understand why the price. That has to be some money to have designed that watch stand. Will be interesting to see how this watch does on the grey market once it is released. Will it rise like the silver snoopy or just hold.

Mopet likes this.
  10. Lurk41 May 17, 2019

Stil not sure about it but it looks way better in real-life photographies than rendering.
    - the dial is blueish-gray more than gray, kind of "admiralty grey" I think. And "blue" is one of the 2 colors given by Archer.
    - the footprint on the back looks amazing, and naiad lock so it will always look right
    - not sure about the pic chosen for the subdial, it looks a bit messy. In fact the real picture is stunning, so maybe the sould have use Aldrin's footprint on the front and Aldrin's descent on the back. Or choose another picture for the front. Either the well known one with Aldrin (yep, pictures are mostly about Aldrin, there is only 1 non-blurred picture showing Armstrong on the Moon), or the LM itself but it may not look like the Man on the Moon anymore
    - the "11" is a nice touch, and I like the indexes in general
    - the applied old logo does look very good
    - the bracelet is stunning, I also kindy like the strap
    - black ceramic and gold is a good choice

I do not like it over the Moonshine Gold one or either the Apollo 8, but I like it (even without 321-ish caliber :D)

How could it be Armstrong? The picture was taken from the Moon surface. Except if you believe on alien life on the Moon, it implies that a man already set foot on it ;)
    If it were Armstrong, then the picture will be taken from the LM (Aldrin's PoV)

11. fskywalker May 17, 2019

Money is save, carry on.....

12. watcholone May 17, 2019

IMG_7108.png
    LeonDeBayonne likes this.
  13. Inpw May 17, 2019

I wonder if the clasp will fit the 60th bracelets. It's quite an improvement.

LeonDeBayonne likes this.
  14. LeonDeBayonne May 17, 2019

Same here. I have actually sent an email asking this a couple of hours ago, but I'm afraid I won't get an answer rapidly as I understand that the reference and details of the bracelet have not yet been communicated through OBs.

15. pianomankd May 17, 2019

After watching that video a few posts up, I love that blue Constellation. Such a simple design, but gorgeous!

16. Screwbacks May 17, 2019

im not really excited upon seeing this piece, but honestly it looks nicer or nicer the usual any anniversary limited speedmaster.

lustrousaurus likes this.
  17. Pepe Lucas May 17, 2019

I’m really excited about getting mine. The more I see it the more I like it.

18. R3D9 May 17, 2019

Omega Speedmaster: Ass-tronaut Edition

gostang9, Jotcs, Lurk41 and 7 others like this.
  19. Stufflers Mom May 17, 2019

Seems to be true.

20. BlackTalon This Space for Rent May 17, 2019

My money will stay safe in my wallet, where it will be available for watches I like a lot more than this one. At the price point there are some older Speedy LEs I would much rather have. I am not sure this one would attract me even for $5k in the used market. That is good though, as I bought too many BNIB watches over the last 2 years.

Mtnmansa, repoman and FinWatch like this.