Forums Latest Members

Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th Anniversary in Steel - Expectations

1. MTROIS May 16, 2019

Just a little over 7 hours to go.... ::bleh::

2. Panjo May 16, 2019

Well, open your eyes guys

3. queriver May 16, 2019

Agree, this watch celebrates Omega's contribution to a remarkable achievement in getting humans to the moon in less than a decade. As such, Omega's reputation is at stake if there is a miss-step with production causing long delivery times. You can already predict the comments if this were the case: "If we can get a man on the moon in 8 years, why does it take Omega XX months to deliver a variant of an existing watch?" Poor delivery performance with ST1 didn't carry the same reputational risk to Omega.

Evitzee likes this.
  4. ck77 May 16, 2019

And the star: Speedmaster Apollo 11. New 42mm case in SS and bezel in Moonshine gold. The gold is exclusive to Omega and is paper hue than YG, but with a high resistance to fading. Bezel ring in black polished ceramic with tachometer scale in Ceragold.

The sundial at 9 features an image of Buzz Aldrin climbing down the ladder into the lunar surface. Sundial is in Moonshine gold. At 11 are two 1 markings in Moonshine gold. Movement is Caliber 3861. CHF 8900.

Caseback features a blackened decorative inner caseback laser engraved with the image of a footprint, encircled in Moonshine gold, and Neil Armstrong’s legendary quote: “that’s one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind”. And marked with Apollo 11, 50th Anniversary Limited Edition with the serial number. 6969 pieces LE.

https://deployant.com/live-from-time-to-move-omega-novelties-with-hands-on-impressions/

david5807, queriver and Ree like this.
  5. queriver May 16, 2019

"Subdial at 9 features an image of Buzz Aldrin climbing down the ladder into the lunar surface. Subdial is in Moonshine gold."

Hmm, hope it looks better than it sounds.

No mention whether the image of Buzz is a relief with the whole subdial being in gold, or whether there are other colours in the subdial. Blue was mentioned in some earlier posts.

Looks like someone ignored the embargo ! :whipped:

Edited May 16, 2019
    koch likes this.
  6. BlackTalon This Space for Rent May 16, 2019

Is Buzz punching anyone on the way down?

7. tritto May 16, 2019

Is he looking back at the module thinking "Shit, Neil left his Speedmaster in the module because the crystal popped, is mine going to fail too?"

koch, MTROIS and Rawim like this.
  8. MTROIS May 16, 2019

Only moonshine???? ::confused2::::confused2::::confused2::

Where's the moon dust!?!?!!? :D

koch and Evitzee like this.
  9. nokaoi1 May 16, 2019

looks like they deleted it. here it is in case anyone is interested ;)

Screen Shot 2019-05-16 at 6.44.37 PM.png
    koch and david5807 like this.
  10. 3nicewatches $100 well spent May 16, 2019

Oh Oh, someone’s in trouble...

koch, david5807, MTROIS and 1 other person like this.
  11. MTROIS May 16, 2019

koch and david5807 like this.
  12. nismo May 16, 2019

So nothing we already didn't know...

13. MTROIS May 16, 2019

Had we heard about the ceramic bit?!? :thumbsdown:

And the engraving on case back. News to me as well...

14. cmenscher May 16, 2019

What's a "blackened inner caseback"?

The boutique rep I left my deposit with said to expect delivery sometime during the summer. Id imagine they'd want some in people's hands by July 19. But I am extremely skeptical I'll see mine before the end of the year.

15. nismo May 16, 2019

MTROIS likes this.
  16. david5807 May 16, 2019

I was just thinking the same :eek:

17. Evitzee May 16, 2019

Peter Chong is an old hand at this kind of stuff. That's a real mess up by him. Probably hit the wrong button, he's not the sort to break the rules.

- I know Aldrin's watch was the first worn on the moon's surface, but seems kinda dumb to have Armstrong's quote on the back and Aldrin coming down the ladder. Everybody but Omega geeks will believe it is Armstrong, maybe just a typo in the Deployant writeup.
    - And what's this 'new' case mentioned in the article. What's new, the moonshine bezel, or something else?
    - And it sounds like the 9 subdial is moonshine gold and the other two black(?). One subdial being different is always an iffy design decision....hope it works out overall and not jarring to the eye.
    - And not completely clear, is it a solid case back or sapphire with an attached footprint?

3 1/2 hours to go and we will find out.

Edited May 16, 2019
    koch and MTROIS like this.
  18. MTROIS May 16, 2019

Given that hundreds of people are watching this like hawks... there was no way this would not be discovered. Showed in my Watchville feed immediately...
    Since there are no pics, I hope he will be ok, and at least we have a bit of stuff to chew on!

david5807 likes this.
  19. MTROIS May 16, 2019

It is strangely quiet around here.... :cautious:

I thought that this little preview would create a firestorm 10 pages long.... :D

BenBagbag likes this.
  20. Evitzee May 16, 2019

He may have been sending it over to someone for proofing and corrections (there were a few in the text) and accidently sent it out. That has happened to many people. Thank God for him there were no pics attached, probably because he doesn't have the stick yet with the renders from Omega.

Me too, I would have thought these nuggets would have lit the joint up, but nothing. Maybe people in the US are taking a nap to be up when 8am CET happens.

MTROIS likes this.