Forums Latest Members

Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th Anniversary in Steel - Expectations

1. MrJKLFoams May 12, 2019

Thank god for that

Deafcon and mblease like this.
  2. snake.doctor May 12, 2019

All the fuzz about this model makes me want to buy a regular speedy even more...

3. ConElPueblo May 12, 2019

The caseback material isn't mentioned either. This is because - just like the bezel - it is a part of the "case" category. Just like spring bars are part of the "bracelet/strap" category even though they are neither.

MCG555 likes this.
  4. Stufflers Mom May 12, 2019

Archer said:
    Case is steel and yellow gold (3N), dial is black, blue, with yellow colour traces (this can refer to printing) with applied markers and lume. Hands are yellow gold (3N). Bezel insert is ceramic and black, but with gold lettering I believe. Sapphire crystals front and back. Back crystal will have an Apollo 11 medallion. Movement is 3861.

5. GoBlueJedi May 12, 2019

Re: Needing to put a non-Moonshine gold version of the 3861 under a solid caseback.
    You know, there's an option I didn't think about until just now: NASA flight-certified....

....wait for it....

Hesalite. Sandwich.

Insert favorite Mind_Blown.gif here.

6. TLIGuy May 12, 2019

Since this thread has plenty of wild speculation going on in it let me add to it.

Question - Would Omega really put a new 3861 movement in Speedmsters moving forward and not have it certified by NASA so it could continue using "Flight-Certified by NASA" on it?

Since this change must have been in the works for sometime, and NASA is not really using the mechanical Speedmaster for EVA's or even regular use (excluding Roscosmos) for that matter, how hard would it be to get a new certification for the new movement with the relationship Omega has with NASA?

Since Jim Ragan was in attendance at the recent event maybe it's possible the new movement is already certified by NASA with help and input from the man who certified it 50+ years earlier? Now that would be some great marketing.

Take it for what it's worth but Omega isn't going to give up the "Flight-Certified by NASA" selling point without having its bases covered moving forward.

James Ragan 2nd from right in this picture via astronaut Terry Virts (2nd left) via Twitter @AstroTerry

Screen Shot 2019-05-12 at 7.12.11 AM.jpg

Also, just one more picture because I like Nicole via twitter @AstroNicole

D6TGkzIXsAEAW3P.jpg-large.jpeg

SpeedyPhill likes this.
  7. TJH May 12, 2019

I suspect 'First Watch on the Moon' is all that counts to most now rather than 'Flight-Certified by NASA'...

TLIGuy likes this.
  8. TLIGuy May 12, 2019

Point taken but I was just addressing the questions raised about the certification moving forward.

SpeedyPhill, MTROIS and TJH like this.
  9. TJH May 12, 2019

Absolutely.

Perhaps the certification isn't seen as being necessary now by Omega; plenty of other watches have been worn on the Space Shuttle and ISS missions which haven't been certified, albeit not on EVA but even now NASA astronauts don't wear any watches externally on EVA. The original certification on the 321 caliber was followed by re-certification of the newer 861 but was the 1861 tested when it was in turn introduced from the late 1990s?

From a purely marketing point of view it might be that the new 3861 need not be certified by NASA as there isn't a strict operational need for it? Omega could certainly use the new caliber with 'First Watch on the Moon' for their latest Speedmaster Professionals and possibly only space enthusiasts would really notice the distinction...

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 12, 2019

The "case" refers to the entire case assembly. So case frame (the middle part) the case back, the crystal, the bezel, the crown, and the pushers. When you order a case from Omega, it comes as a complete assembly, and that is what Omega refers to as the "case."

Mind you, cases with mixed materials in the same part have been made by Omega before, but I don't think that is what we will see here.

Dedalus05 and ConElPueblo like this.
  11. GoBlueJedi May 12, 2019

For me personally, I wholly disagree.

12. Stufflers Mom May 12, 2019

So are you saying that it's not possible just to purchase just the "middle part" of the case from Omega? as you previously described the case as being steel and yellow gold my thoughts were of the case, no caseback, no bezel, no pushers, just a case.

13. drhex May 12, 2019

3861 isn’t certified (yet).

TLIGuy likes this.
  14. ConElPueblo May 12, 2019

So what material is the caseback then?

Completely made of sapphire? :rolleyes:

15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 12, 2019

I didn't say that, but it's true that you can't typically buy just the middle part of the case as a replacement item. You can buy the case back, crystal, bezel, crown, pushers all as individual parts, but in order to buy a case frame, you typically have to buy a whole new case (assembly).

Again, in Omega's terminology the "case" is the entire assembly, including all of the parts. In this instance the case description includes both the codes "ST" for stainless steel, and "AU750 MSG" which is 18k Moonshine Gold. This means the case (assembly) is stainless steel and 18k MSG as I've noted. From what I can see, the bezel is the gold part.

Edit to add - as an example here is a case purchased from Omega:

[​IMG]

Description is:

055ST1660324 | STEEL CASE CAL. 565

As you can see, it's a complete case assembly with crystal, crown, bezel, case back, and the middle part...

Edited May 12, 2019
    Dedalus05 likes this.
  16. MrJKLFoams May 12, 2019

Source said it will be on velcro strap with 50th anniversary embroidered. But it will have a 50th anniversary logo on the case back. Subdials will be the same as original but with applied logo in gold and gold speedmaster writing.

17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 12, 2019

Comes on a bracelet from what I see

MTROIS likes this.
  18. Stufflers Mom May 12, 2019

But you were not giving examples of what individual parts are supplied by Omega, you suggested that the new Speedy case was steel and yellow gold and that's not right, the case will be ss.

19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 12, 2019

Once again - the "case" is the assembly and is a mix of parts. Some parts are steel and some are gold.

Dedalus05, lando, Ian_km and 2 others like this.
  20. Stufflers Mom May 12, 2019

I replied to your post that stated the caseback material wasn't mentioned, it was and at no point did I say it was completely made of sapphire, only that it was mentioned.