Forums Latest Members

Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th Anniversary in Steel - Expectations

1. Evitzee Apr 20, 2019

I was told by an OB manager that May 15th is the release date of the now embargoed pictures and she was pretty solid on that date. Often important release dates are moved up if it appears pictures are about to be leaked by unauthorized persons. I find it amazing that the lid has been kept on this project, these watches must be in production by now and many people have seen it; designers, watchmakers, photographers, advertising agencies, distributors, dealers, yet no pics have leaked out.

Edited Apr 20, 2019
  2. taz101 Apr 20, 2019

Look all I know is.....I was in the toilet at an OB and overheard the cubicle next to me saying..

3. angschte Apr 20, 2019

With regards to the release date: There is an Omega event related to the 50th anniversary in Cape Caneveral on May 9th. Source: invitation from Omega. No further details on the watch from my side.

robinhook and Ree like this.
  4. peterpumpkinhead Apr 20, 2019

I heard from the NYC ad too, two-toned.

5. nismo Apr 20, 2019

Yes, two-tone per the OB that called me with details and asked for a deposit (last month). To add something for the UK/Canada OF users, I have never bought a single thing from that OB (or Omega) and they were offering me a spot. I had shown interest in it last summer and over winter up until they told me it was two-tone. I'm not sure if they have anymore "slots" or whatever left, but just wanted to say it was available to me as a first time (potential) customer for that OB and Omega overall. This is not something only going to repeat customers.

OceanPerpetual likes this.
  6. Riviera Paradise Apr 21, 2019

Well two-tone is the new fad as seen with Rolex (Sea-dweller), Tudor (chrono) etc....but for me the nicest two-tone release for 2019 (so far) is the Bell & Ross BR V2 94. No in-house caliber, no significant heritage, stabilized bronze (photos from Monochrome Watches) and some might say not worth the US$4.9 sticker price for a LE 999 run. I guess I just love the JPS look of one my favourite F1 cars:)
    Bell-Ross-BR-V2-94-Bellytanker-Bronze-John-Player-Special-Baselworld-2019-3-1.jpg
    https://monochrome-watches.com/bell...nker-bronze-john-player-special-review-price/

Looking forward to see if the new Speedy tops this watch on aesthetics. Clearly the Omega will win on heritage, brand, packaging, warranty and caliber chops. But sometimes you just can't resist shiny objects:)

demchocholips and Threemann like this.
  7. Screwbacks Apr 21, 2019

allright, without discounting an all-steel surprise and talking about 2 tone, let's take a peek on 2 possibilities for the most awaited anniversary watch, the following pictures are borrowed from the net and one of OP members:

1)

images.jpeg

11-fantasy-4.jpg

8. Evitzee Apr 21, 2019

We know it will have steel pushers, crown and bracelet so 1) is out. 2) seems closer to the specs. And wouldn't it be wild if they had a moonshine panda dial?

Edited Apr 21, 2019
  9. Deanha Apr 21, 2019

The omega boutique I work with stated the back of watch will have Armstrong footprint and a lunar module on front (3pm or 9pm). Also understand approximately 250 of 350 watch’s allocated to USA boutiques are sold.
    I made a full price deposit but find interesting Omega is attempting a new marketing strategy to sell out the complete edition of 6969 watches prior to formal release and providing well orchestrated leaked information to network while withholding photos. I also understand shipping will quickly commence after announcing watch.
    Anyone else concerned, with the large ‘limited edition’ of 6969 watches? Can the market absorb a $10k watch with such a large edition? Will price declines occur if large portion of watch edition is not sold by announcement or soon thereafter?

Tycho and MTROIS like this.
  10. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Apr 21, 2019

Sounds like a great marketing strategy indeed but if the watch will be great that's another question...
    “There is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about.”

11. Evitzee Apr 21, 2019

General understanding is US allocation is in the 700 range but still fluid as the worldwide supply distribution is still being massaged, so maybe 350 to OBs is reasonable.. I was told about 115 of the US allotment were available as of three weeks ago. But no one knows for sure except Omega. I have zero concerns that Omega will be left with unsold stock. This will sell out. I agree delivery will be quick, Omega doesn't want another Hodinkee style debacle.

Edited Apr 21, 2019
  12. MTROIS Apr 21, 2019

IF the watch is truly great from a design perspective (for general public) AND from a historical point of view (when it comes to collectors' assessment), for example if they will be using truly unique and special materials such as rocks/dust collected on the moon, then I don't think it will be too difficult for Omega to move all 6,969 pieces.
    Whether they will retain their "value" in the long run is certainly a different discussion, but again, we need to see the details (see comment above about what may make this watch truly special) before we can conclude.

On the other hand, if securing one puts me higher on future lists (e.g., the Apollo 13th 50 anniversary), then it may be a premium that is worth it... for people who are not satisfied having just the original model.
    Can't wait for early May to see what Omega has in store for us, and until then, I feel very fortunate to have been able to secure a spot on the list.

Edited Apr 21, 2019
    RemiWM likes this.
  13. MTROIS Apr 21, 2019

What happened to the Hodinkee version? Did you mean the Speedy Tuesday 1 (long delivery waiting times)??

14. taz101 Apr 21, 2019

We still don't know if the 6969 IS 100% though until you see it on the Omega site!?

15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 21, 2019

The Omega site that you don’t have access to already says it’s 6969...

nickw, AntonisCy and KingCrouchy like this.
  16. dscoogs Apr 21, 2019

Evolutions from the 40th anniversary LE version by Omega perhaps ? I guess I'll manage my expectations by starting to consider the 45th LE and 105.012-65 (closest to real thing) for my Apollo 11 anniversary watch.

17. AntonisCy Apr 21, 2019

Can i have access to it too please? :p

18. Evitzee Apr 21, 2019

Have a parts account or go to your local OB and ask pretty please if you can look at the data for this watch. Many will say no, but some will let you.

19. arcadelt Apr 21, 2019

I always thought two-tone referred to two types (colours) of material (usually metal) used in the exterior of the watch. Personally I consider that B&R a bronze watch with a black bezel insert (The dial doesn’t count in the definition of a two-tone watch, otherwise panda dialled watches would be called two-tone too).

Pun likes this.
  20. taz101 Apr 21, 2019

So I guess Omega are cool with you giving us this 'inside' info then??