Forums Latest Members

Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th Anniversary in Steel - Expectations

1. OWa Mar 30, 2019

I thought it was angle dust...

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 30, 2019

I make angle dust with an angle grinder...

angle grinder.jpg

3. Pepe Lucas Mar 30, 2019

There is a lot of people in the world that their main language is not English but they can speak/write it!

Mcvictory, rominvicta and rafabond like this.
  4. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Mar 30, 2019

If it was 100% of all people, I could see the OF stats mirroring the sales demographics. But let's be realistic -- 'a lot' is not 100%.

5. WatchWalker Mar 31, 2019

Some very interesting data here. These numbers only reflect the two first months of each year?

- UK booming in 2019 is probably related to low GBP exchange rate turning UK into a trading place. Either that or stock piling for Brexit.
    - EU remains by far the largest "real" market with approx CHF450M (until Brexit)
    - HK, Singapore, UAE are trading markets, not reflecting local demand

This is not necessarily a reflection of Omega sales though. And surely not of LE availabilities. But still interesting so thank you for sharing!

6. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Mar 31, 2019

I thought you didn't do case polishing Al.

AveConscientia likes this.
  7. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Mar 31, 2019

I believe it is for 'restoring bevels' :D

Longbow and Archer like this.
  8. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Apr 2, 2019

If only @Robert-Jan at Fratellowatches or OMEGA themselves could provide us with some kind of count-down clock ... adding to the excitement
    Similar to this : https://apollo11show.com/

watcholone likes this.
  9. LeonDeBayonne Apr 2, 2019

May 9th at Cape Canaveral.

SpeedyPhill likes this.
  10. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Apr 2, 2019

May 9th... not a #SpeedyTuesday... and the Apollo 11 Saturn V stack on its mobile launcher, carried by the Crawler transporter, moving from the VAB - Vehicle Assembly Building high bay 1 towards the Launch Complex 39A took place on May 20th 1969... The 5.5 kilometer trip took over 7 hours!
    So Apollo 11 stood ready on the LC39 pad May 21st 1969... May 21st is a #SpeedyTuesday in 2019 :thumbsdown:

Pun and LeonDeBayonne like this.
  11. JesterP Apr 2, 2019

All very good but why would the Apollo 11 50th be released on a tuesday? I'm just saying that if it's not Speedy Tuesday 3 model then it could be any day I would think.

lando likes this.
  12. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Apr 2, 2019

Just guestimating as during the last years #SpeedyTuesday has acted ad interim for Omega's Speedmaster chronograph releases ::stirthepot::

13. TheMayBe Apr 8, 2019

Any news?

david5807 likes this.
  14. lustrousaurus Apr 8, 2019

Not May yet

15. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Apr 9, 2019

Some sources mentioned May 9th, others May 15th... neither are a #SpeedyTuesday... However, my interest has long since evaporated :D

simbal, rominvicta, rohnin and 2 others like this.
  16. LeonDeBayonne Apr 9, 2019

I mentioned May 9th because Omega is planning an event at Cape Canaveral on that particular day for clients only (no press, no bloggers). Hence I believed it was a good opportunity to release the Apollo 11 50th anniversary watch on that particular day... But in the end... Who knows?

SpeedyPhill likes this.
  17. Inpw Apr 9, 2019

Wouldn't they choose an event WITH press and bloggers to maximize effect?

18. mblease Apr 9, 2019

Who needs bloggers when any of the invited 'clients' with an Instagram account will spread the news for free! Content, content, content! ::puke::

19. ejj Apr 9, 2019

Omega (as a company) is trying to figure out the new retail paradigm. It's not a simple path. It seems they are trying a bit of everything. (In modern Omega fashion.)

*They have left BaselWorld to create their own experience. This is actually in support of the dealers, giving them advance views or new product, etc. Kind of like the old days! The death of trade-shows in retail goods has been happening for a while. In bikes and skis the big companies have been hosting their own dealer-only/press (embargoed) events for a few years. This offers the manufacture more control at big savings. I'd be surprised if more of the big watch companies don't follow suit (we know of several more that have/are). The industry trade shows still support small makers and accessory suppliers. BaselWorld as it was 10 years ago is finished. But the reveal/release of the new anniversary Speedys actually supports the retailer-based system from 10 years ago. (My local shop has seen them, described them in detail, etc...)

*They are also feeling out the DTC market by offering BO models and LEs through Hodinkee, ST, etc. This supports the modern media and IG world, while also supporting the Omega Boutique world as well.

KingCrouchy likes this.
  20. LeonDeBayonne Apr 9, 2019

Yes, possibly. They may also want to diversify instead of going the usual and déjà vu Tuesday release.