Forums Latest Members

Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th Anniversary in Steel - Expectations

1. rohnin Mar 28, 2019

You’ll probably have to travel to find one

LeonDeBayonne likes this.
  2. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Mar 28, 2019

Deposit is 100% refundable, so no one is 'hooked'. It was a no-risk deposit.

robinhook and Screwbacks like this.
  3. Stufflers Mom Mar 28, 2019

I have a hard time accepting that anyone has handed over 5K, not withstanding the mechanics from the shop side to pre-order something on a computerised till, presumably using a credit\debit card for an item with no part number, no stock number and no parts description, perhaps it's written on the back of a cig packet. :)

4. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Mar 28, 2019

I agree there should be something in writing, but I guess I do not see that as being an issue with an OB. Just need an email confirming a deposit of $x,xxx for a Apollo 11 50th Anniversary. Especially not an issue if on a credit card, as there is a record of who the money went to.

5. Pepe Lucas Mar 28, 2019

Not necessarily, my brother was looking for a Seamaster Commander last year and the OB didn’t have it but was able to get from another one in a couple of days.

6. Screwbacks Mar 28, 2019

if you dont specify which steel 50th anniversary, then you might be in the last priority line than those who indicated 321 in their deposit.

7. youncs Mar 28, 2019

A lot of you probably already know, but the OB recently contacted me about putting a deposit down. I declined, but she did say that 400 of the 600 or so coming in the US had deposits. I'm not a huge fan of two tone. She also guessed that we could possibly know more on Speedy Tuesday. Would Omega make 6969 total and the U.S. only get 600? Isn't the U.S. their biggest market? Something seems off...

8. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Mar 28, 2019

Something says not ...

[​IMG]

9. Skyrider01 Mar 28, 2019

Just spoke to my AD. He did say 6969 pieces total, 500 going to the US. And it’s not really a two tone. It is a stainless steel with gold accents.

As far as only 500 in the US, he mentioned the Asian market as being the biggest.

10. kilofinal Mar 28, 2019

500 for the US market? Hopefully Omega doesn't make the mistake of depicting the east coast of Florida on the back of the steel version if only 7% of the global allotment is coming here. yeah........North America isn't important.......

11. rominvicta Mar 28, 2019

It looks to me Omega trying to develop some kind of mystery around itself. Invitinig all dealers at a conference at the same time Basel took place, then not distributing or allowing others to distribute news or images, romours and so on going on. That is quite strange approach to creating or nourishing demand and interest towards the brand. IMHO what Omega did is a complete failure! At least that applies to me as a customer. My budget is already spent until the end of 2019 and that took place in the latest two weeks. Meanwhile Omega made a lot of efforts to prevent potential customers from obtaining any info.

12. JesterP Mar 28, 2019

I know what your saying but in all fairness we have to wait and see what this watch or watches look like and have a little faith in Omega. It annoyed me at first but they may well be playing a different game with this one. It could knock our socks off and suddenly you might be looking for $9600

13. Evitzee Mar 28, 2019

Hoo, boy, just read all 13 pages and about 10 pages of it is just plain silly. "Oh, I don't like two tone, 6969 is too many, $9,650 is too much, how dare Omega ask for a full deposit" and on and on. This is the biggest watch commemorative event in HISTORY, and will remain so until the 100th anniversary in 2069. This watch will be massively popular, 6969 will be far short of what the market could absorb.

Was at the OB in St. Louis today. We went on the Omega internal website and ferretted out some details based on specs and the pictograms shown for the watch. Moonshine bezel with ceramic Ceragold numerals, gold accents on dial, special dial plaque, solid back with Apollo XI emblem. Steel pushers and crown, brushed and polished SS bracelet. Pictures to be released mid-May, not before. Full 100% totally refundable deposit required by Omega. As of March 25th about 100 pieces left for US.

If anyone is interested it would seem a no brainer to put a deposit down and in about seven weeks you can either say 'yay ' or 'nay'. It's that simple. This is not a full blown 1980-style two tone watch, and like it or not two tone watches are coming back (AP, Rolex and others). Put your big boy pants on and either play, or stay home. People who don't give a damn about watches will be drawn to something significant like this. If you don't play don't come crying later. Just some random thoughts from someone who has been collecting for 40 years.

14. Shankified Mar 28, 2019

Really???? :)

15. MTROIS Mar 28, 2019

Any clues concerning the movement? And, YES, I do know that it will NOT have the (new again) cal. 321!!! Just wondering if we have settled the 1861 v. 3861 debate or not. Also, how would the community feel about this wacth being the first one to fetch the new movement!?
    For all we know, Omega may have secretly been working with NASA to certify the co-axial escapement as well!?

16. Stufflers Mom Mar 28, 2019

No. not really.

17. Riviera Paradise Mar 28, 2019

I fear your "big boy pants" might be too tight at the girth and Sir might be experiencing a certain degree of circulatory restriction, with the ebbing pain perhaps impeding one’s better judgement?

Nevertheless, it is wonderful to know that Sir does enjoy sufficient monetary provisioning to slam down a 100% deposit in a full blown, alpha male, chest beating display of financial confidence. Your local OB will shower you with praise, cocktails and special events.:)

I sincerely hope that the self proclaimed Emperor has spared funds of sufficient liquidity to acquire a minimum range of body covering garments in the near future.:D

lando, kilofinal, Shankified and 3 others like this.
  18. nismo Mar 28, 2019

Is the 50th anniversary watch going to be the only watch announced by Omega in mid-May or will there be others as well?

19. Pepe Lucas Mar 28, 2019

I talked with the manager of OB here in SA. She told me that there would be some releases in mid May but they didn’t have any real deep information about what they would look. It seems that the lack of information is coming directly from the corporate offices.

rominvicta and nismo like this.
  20. Pepe Lucas Mar 28, 2019

I’m with you all the way except on the “put on your big boy pants”. I can see that there is a lot of hate on something that nobody has seen and it is easier to criticize and try to make comments and/or put out ideas that might or not be true. I think that we should wait and see the actual watch and then if terrible,complain about it. Right now you have the option, if you want and can afford it, to put the deposit down and wait to see if you like the watch and if you like it buy it before someone else. You can also wait and see if in reality the watch is not that desirable and just buy it at a discount.