Forums Latest Members

Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th Anniversary in Gold – Breaking News

1. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Mar 12, 2019

It’s in the article, quoted in CHF. Just convert to a currency of your choice. Not necessarily a perfect way of doing it, but it gives you a ballpark. It’s one of those where if you have to ask the price, you probably can’t afford it.

lando likes this.
  2. rainking Mar 12, 2019

Great backstory and some interesting details but that is one ugly Speedmaster. And as mentioned, that price is ...

koch likes this.
  3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 12, 2019

The very first thing I did was to log into the Omega Extranet to see if any technical details have been published on this movement. There was a time when Omega would put details up there before the watches were released publicly, but someone (from Europe if I recall correctly) was posting information about the watches before Omega released the information, so they have really wised up in that regard. Now there is a lag between the formal announcement, and the release of technical information.

So I have no technical guide, parts list, or timing tolerances on this movement at this time. All I can do is look at the photo like everyone else, and from what I see this is an 1861 that has been modified to include a co-axial escapement. What modifications that required I can't say, so does this still run at 21,600, or is it 25,200, or 28,800? What specific type of co-axial escapement does it have? What are common parts between this and the 1861? No ideas other than what appears to be obvious from the photo...

Sorry, but I'll post details as soon as I have them...

g-boac, queriver, fskywalker and 9 others like this.
  4. LeonDeBayonne Mar 12, 2019

Well, from what I can read, this different class of clientele is not here.

rohnin, lando, koch and 1 other person like this.
  5. durri70 Mar 12, 2019

nice but way out of my budget right now bu I do accept gifts :O)

6. Speedmasterfan88 Mar 12, 2019

Well there goes my hope for a reedition of the
    BC345.0802.

Stunning watch though. I‘d love this to have a hesalite but you can’t have everything I guess.
    As a vintage nut I still prefer the old BA145.022.

The box looks very interesting! 3D printed ceramic, cool move.

Cheers,

Max

7. Meme-Dweller Mar 12, 2019

same, as I suspect most of us here are

rominvicta and LeonDeBayonne like this.
  8. BenBagbag Mar 12, 2019

32000 CHF x 1014 = 32,448,000 CHF or around $32.2 million US dollars in sales they are hoping from this. :eek::eek::eek:

( 1 :eek: = $1,000,000)

Cad290 and koch like this.
  9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 12, 2019

Omega's new motto - "Forget all that Moon stuff, we are increasing shareholder value every day..."

10. AdamS Mar 12, 2019

I think it is a very nice recreation that pays homage to the original while creating some nice "tributes" on the caseback, I really like the meteorite touch.

Well done in my opinion, question is can they sell 1,014 at that price level.

Also, the box is fantastic.

arcadelt, Ashman and koch like this.
  11. Meme-Dweller Mar 12, 2019

They've started producing more LEs that will sell out at higher prices in recent years. Me thinks they know the watch market (and the economy in general) is in a bubble that will burst at any moment, and they are stocking up on funds for the rainy years that will come.

12. GMTspeedmaster Mar 12, 2019

thanks!

13. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Mar 12, 2019

rI really thought they'd use this design to showcase the re-re'd 321, actually, and use another one for the 50th...

Now I'm really curious to see what will be the first one to hold the 321!

14. LeonDeBayonne Mar 12, 2019

For those interested, I am selling the perfect pin buckle to fit with the watch, for a price tag equals to 0.6% of the value of the watch. :D

15. boogedyboo Mar 12, 2019

Nice but out of my price range but I’m sure there are plenty of people on OF who can afford it.

Not a fan of the Au750 in the middle of the dial. Just like the text in the middle of the 1957 Re-issue.

16. shoota70 Mar 12, 2019

I think it is awesome. I love the idea of this movement.

17. kov Trüffelschwein. Mar 12, 2019

We already know/said it will be in a straight lugs case. And we already knew/said it won't be in the 50th Anniversary ;)

18. mz_cle Mar 12, 2019

I like it a lot. It's out of the range I will be spending any time soon, but I'm digging all gold, and two tone too, more and more lately.

Maybe I'm becoming more comfortable with my tastes.

19. BenBagbag Mar 12, 2019

In stepping back to think about it and gain perspective. If someone is in the market for a solid gold watch, a comparable is a plain Yellow Gold Rolex Submariner - which also retails for ~30k USD...

My guess is that they are also hoping to draw people who wouldn't have bought a solid gold watch, but relative to others in the market perhaps it is comparable.

What other options in solid yellow gold are out there?

Ashman likes this.
  20. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Mar 12, 2019

So, my order is in (need to offload some other watches soon I guess :)). I love it and wearing the prototype right now. The new caliber 3861 looks stunning (beautiful finish) and 50% of the parts are new (and not interchangeable with the caliber 1861/1863). What amazed me perhaps most is the bracelet... if they only would do this one in steel for the regular Moonwatch, that would be so good. The clasp is only 14mm wide, but wears absolutely great.

The ceramic is also very nicely done, the color is beautiful and no strange white particles (which you get with some other ceramic bezels from other brands). The onyx hour markers are thick and have nice facets. Also interesting, the BA145.022-69 had a little flaw concerning the second markers. Since that gold watch had caliber 861 and was faster ticking than the caliber 321, the seconds markers were a bit off.They corrected it with this new gold Apollo XI model. I have both the BA145.022-69 and this new one at home, and I have to say that the new one to me is nicer than the first one. A bit like Godfather II, that one was also better than the first movie ;-) People can disagree of course, for nostalgic reasons or whatever, but I feel that the thought put into this new watch is absolutely showing. Wow!

There goes my need for a Rolex Day-Date, this is the one in gold to have for me.