Forums Latest Members
  1. bags1971 Feb 3, 2018

just noticed there a screw loose on the movement be careful

Caliber561 likes this.
  2. sjg22 Feb 3, 2018

Unbelievable heirloom but hard for us to tell the OP to keep six figures of net worth tied up in timepieces, when that may not be either feasible or desirable for them.

Edited Feb 3, 2018
    arcadelt likes this.
  3. dscoogs Feb 3, 2018

I assume that "We" includes a good watchmaker. I would quit playing with it and get it to a real Speedy Vintage pros well known to OF, if doable. Congrats on such a rare watch!

4. vintagestuff Feb 3, 2018

I would just be getting started playing with it. What a great find. Did you mention if it is running or not? If it is, probably best to not run it for long. They were using whale blubber back then, and it needs a good cleaning and lubrication. Of course, if that all sounds like too much bother, my 250 offer still stands. Not 250k, but it may reach that level in a couple more years from what I'm seeing. Just use common sense in handling it, and when you're ready, find a good watchmaker. I'm sure there are a few on this forum who do complications without ruining the patina. You should be a very happy guy.

Cuphead Junkee likes this.
  5. Cuphead Junkee Feb 3, 2018

Yes it was running yesterday, but I haven't started it back up since it could be detrimental.

And once again, thanks everyone for your advice and help! I appreciate it all.

yako54 likes this.
  6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 3, 2018

1 loose and 1 missing...hopefully not rattling around inside...

Caliber561 likes this.
  7. Nla91 Feb 3, 2018

2915-1 and 2915-2 look identical.

8. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Feb 3, 2018

WOW! Congrats, this is a wonderful example.

Cuphead Junkee likes this.
  9. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Feb 3, 2018

What a week. A 2915-1 here and a 6541 with B&P on Rolexforums. My dad has a Seiko...

10. t_swiss_t Feb 3, 2018

Congrats on the watch, @Cuphead Junkee . I don't agree with the talk of perpetual insurance / bank vault forever / ship and service. Sure, put it in a vault until you know where you want to sell it. But, unless you just fell irrevocably in love with this watch and will never be the same without it, it seems like 150-200k USD would make most people's life a whole lot better than a watch (help pay for a house, retirement, etc). Dispassionately, unless you are pretty wealthy before this watch walked into your life, I'd vault it for now, call up Phillips, buy yourself a nice pre-moon Speedy for <10% of the proceeds after it sells, and have a much more comfortable life. If you're independently wealthy, you could donate the proceeds to a charity of your choice :).

Another option would be to lock up the watch until next year (the 50th anniversary of the moon landing) when it may command even more of a premium if the economy continues upward.

bazamu, CajunTiger, gemini4 and 8 others like this.
  11. BenBagbag Feb 3, 2018

Wowowowow awesome find. Do you know any more of the story behind this watch?

I'm surprised nobody has commented om the shapes of the case. Really looks very very sharp!

12. Raymondo5508 Feb 3, 2018

Niiiiiiiice ......

13. onthedial Feb 3, 2018

@Cuphead Junkee
    You have an outstanding, very important watch. As was stated above, the 50th anniversary of the moon landing is right around the corner. Should you decide to sell, reach out to Phillips auction house. A rare Speedmaster such as yours, offered for sale during the anniversary/celebration year, will garner loads of interest. And it’s easy to foresee many buyers happily paying a hefty premium to acquire such a unique timepiece.
    Keep us posted. :thumbsup:

t_swiss_t and Cuphead Junkee like this.
  14. Screwbacks Feb 3, 2018

i am breathless! fly me to the moon.

it is 2915-1 indeed! series 15xxxxxx.

I strongly suggest to edit your caliber photo - erase the serial number now.

if you need extract for authentication, you can work it out later with omega for record purposes.

15. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Feb 3, 2018

i hope, that works with the Extract. many very early ones have no record in the Archives. Lemania versus Omega Record keeping...... mine is a 2915-3 and no records. at least you know it is ok, because it does not come back as a Seamaster chrono with that number..... great watch. great story. and,yes,Phillips will be the place to go. kind regards. achim...... try to auction that soon. the money markets are getting jittery.....

Screwbacks likes this.
  16. Cuphead Junkee Feb 3, 2018

What do you mean erase the serial number?

17. Cuphead Junkee Feb 3, 2018

Should I blur out the 15xxxxxx number?

18. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Feb 3, 2018

Yes, blurr it .

19. Cuphead Junkee Feb 3, 2018

Good to know.

20. vintagestuff Feb 3, 2018

What harm can come from showing their serial number? What is the worst scenario if others know the serial number?

And an extract won’t be of any use on this watch, from my experience.

watchyouwant likes this.