Omega Speedmaster 145.022-69 on an auction today!

Hi Guys and Gals!
I promised you before that I will have more posts regarding auctions…::facepalm2::

And here is another one that just ended!

This time I found a 145.022-69.
The auction house didn't write down the reference, only ”ca 1969”.
Going after the pictures and the serial nr, these put the production year to June 1971,
(thanks @eugeneandresson ).
The pictures where (as usual) not the best, so I had to ask for more.
And no movement pictures since they could not open the watch....Don't ask me why!

But there where papers with the watch,
but no guarantee that they match the watch since they could not check the movement!
And the assessment regarding the dial is a bit tricky (again), could there be a brown tint...??
Also most of the lumeplots are decayed/missing color and are greenish.
The bezel (DN90...I hope…?) has battlescars, and is not the sexiest I have seen....

The hands look correct for the reference, different colors to the lume,
so maybe a touch up or replacement, or just age?
The case/caseback have a few deeper dents and also the normal scratches/marks.

The crystal is very very scratched, and I couldn't see the Omegalogo.

Since the auction house didnt give me any history/service record, I had to guess a bit..
And the watch is Dirty (which we all love!!!), maybe it had never been serviced?
And it looks like an honest/not dealer tampered watch..

Even with all these imperfections,
I set up my Masterplan, with the addition of Mr Roberts ”new way valuation”! (thanks @Spacefruit )
It could be a nice daily watch, without being nervous of damaging the bezel, case or what ever on a finer piece.

So I waited for the biding to start (1750€/1870 $).
And the bidding exploded directly, and after som small biding at the end,
the hammer landed at 4750€/5090$ including the premium!

I didn't follow through, since I had my Masterplan…

Good or Bad - what do you think??

1100193018.jpg 12-10.JPG 12-11.JPG 12-13.JPG 12-14.JPG 12-18.JPG 1100193019.jpg 12-17.JPG
Edited:

Hi Guys and Gals!

the hammer landed at 4750€/5090$ with the premium!

When you say 'with the premium', do you mean 'including premium?' If not, how much extra would it be?

When you say 'with the premium', do you mean 'including premium?' If not, how much extra would it be?
Including!
I will edit the post...:whistling:

I was looking at this last night and although I decided not to be as the dial is crappy, the case confused me slightly. On one of the pictures the 5 o’clock lug looks horribly chewed up, but on the others it looks ok.

I didn’t bother to dig deeper as I wasn’t going to bid but I did wonder if the chewed up lug was from another watch and the pictures were mixed up.

I was looking at this last night and although I decided not to be as the dial is crappy, the case confused me slightly. On one of the pictures the 5 o’clock lug looks horribly chewed up, but on the others it looks ok.

I didn’t bother to dig deeper as I wasn’t going to bid but I did wonder if the chewed up lug was from another watch and the pictures were mixed up.
Yepp, that lug made me thinking...

I had to try and compare the pictures that I got, but in the end i do think that it is the same watch,
(the weird foto has the same plastic stand as some other pictures also).
It could be something with the lights or other technical stuff??

Anyway - once again - this one would have been nice to see in person, but we can´t travel everyday for a watch...?
;)
Skärmavbild 2023-09-13 kl. 15.04.32.png Skärmavbild 2023-09-13 kl. 15.04.15.png Skärmavbild 2023-09-13 kl. 15.02.56.png Skärmavbild 2023-09-13 kl. 15.02.12.png

Too much money for an unattractive watch. The hands and dial are just nice enough to make the whole watch look worse, as opposed to better, simply because the lume looks worse by comparison.

That lug looks like a mechanic wore this watch. Either that, or someone who mowed the lawn alot.

Whoever bought it, please take off that bracelet immediately and trash it.

Edit: $4995 for sale here on OF!

Screenshot_20230913_082320_Samsung Internet.jpg
https://omegaforums.net/threads/199...572-50-tritium-dial-sapphire-caseback.161764/
Edited:

That is a LOT of money for a very dirty watch, couldn't they have cleaned it up first? Or are they afraid that it would reveal how beat up it is.

Also, the bezel isn't straight. Its about 3 seconds rotated to the left, so there is at least possibility that it isn't the original (as why else would you remove it?).

Yeah £4100 for that watch is too much. I wouldn’t be surprised if the buyer saw it via the internet and is thinking it will clean up nicely. I think they’ll be disappointed.
You can get a real nice -74 for around £4500, with bracelet. Backs up my view that there’s actually limited non-dealer vintage Speedies on the market at the minute so people are once again starting to overpay for poor examples after a prolonged cooling off in the market.

Too much money for an unattractive watch. The hands and dial are just nice enough to make the whole watch look worse, as opposed to better, simply because the lume looks worse by comparison.

That lug looks like a mechanic wore this watch. Either that, or someone who mowed the lawn alot.

Whoever bought it, please take off that bracelet immediately and trash it.

Edit: $4995 for sale here on OF!

Screenshot_20230913_082320_Samsung Internet.jpg
https://omegaforums.net/threads/199...572-50-tritium-dial-sapphire-caseback.161764/
It could have looked better in real life, but maybe not?

And ndgal has the finest watches for sale!
Always!!

That is a LOT of money for a very dirty watch, couldn't they have cleaned it up first? Or are they afraid that it would reveal how beat up it is.

Also, the bezel isn't straight. Its about 3 seconds rotated to the left, so there is at least possibility that it isn't the original (as why else would you remove it?).

Collectors likem DIRTY!! ;)

Reminds me of my own Speedy. So I guess I got lucky that I could get it when I did nearly 30 years ago. Now I look at it and see everything wrong. Like how dinged up the tachy scale is. Or that I installed the non engraved back that came with it and lost the engraved back with the proper case number.

While I could probably clean and service the movement. I find case work exasperationg so I am looking at 1400 to 1800 to get it wearable. And I would have to send it off somewhere for months. I have it. Which I guess is the point. The other 100s of other watches I have, what can be the daily wearer, while this one sits in the sock drawer. Then take this one out while I mow the lawn and look for pipe organ parts. And notice how more lume has fallen out of the hands.

IMG_3464crop.png

The real questin is would I remember to grab this watch If I had to leave the house in a disaster?

Reminds me of my own Speedy. So I guess I got lucky that I could get it when I did nearly 30 years ago. Now I look at it and see everything wrong. Like how dinged up the tachy scale is. Or that I installed the non engraved back that came with it and lost the engraved back with the proper case number.

While I could probably clean and service the movement. I find case work exasperationg so I am looking at 1400 to 1800 to get it wearable. And I would have to send it off somewhere for months. I have it. Which I guess is the point. The other 100s of other watches I have, what can be the daily wearer, while this one sits in the sock drawer. Then take this one out while I mow the lawn and look for pipe organ parts. And notice how more lume has fallen out of the hands.

IMG_3464crop.png

The real questin is would I remember to grab this watch If I had to leave the house in a disaster?

Nice story, you have had the watch for decades, and with some nice memories (I hope..)!
The problem with Forums and internet in general is that you can compare everything....
And you will always find/see beautiful pieces, and also ugly pieces!

But you should find some decent watchmaker who could service the watch for less money than you suggested??