Forums Latest Members

Omega SMPc 8800 long term review

1. Thegreatroberto Jan 24, 2019

I thought it was good too! And that includes some running and gym work. So not just sat on my wrist in an office.

2. Folgono Jan 30, 2019

Thanks for the review. This SM is pretty appealing, I tried it a few times, but unfortunately it is a bit big and thick for my 6.5" wrist and the HE valve lacks some refinement.
    If I take a SM 300 again this should be the"old" ceramic one which proportions work better on me.

3. cjoedaniel Feb 27, 2019

Just picked up mine a week ago. So far my accuracy is better than what METAS averaged. Unfortunately I'm not wearing it 24/7 yet.. Still babying it a bit. I'm a bit concerned that you said you experienced scratching on the AR. I was also surprised that the tolerance for the 8800 is 0 to 6s/d instead of 0 to 5s/d. I thought all Master chronometers were the latter.
    I bought mine through a reseller here in the forum and got about a 12% discount. Two ADs in my city didn't do much. One wouldn't give any discount and the other said $4600 if I wrote a check.
    At any rate I'm enjoying it so far. Still getting used to the hands as I think the clarity of skeletonized hands isn't as good as solid lumed hands in my opinion... especially in low light transitions if I quickly glance at the watch. The HE valve is fine but it does get caught on jacket or shirt cuffs. The micro adjustable clasp is super smooth and seamless. I like it a lot.
    My bezel seems sturdy but delicate at the same time if that makes sense... I feel if I torque it hard it would wiggle a bit. I can get some back play but it's not consistent. A bit disappointed there. Bear in mind my frame of reference is a Chris Ward Trident C60...now that bezel I feel is bomb proof.

IMG_20190224_142644.jpg Screenshot_20190222-152513.png
    Commisar likes this.
  4. steelfish Mar 3, 2019

I'm loving mine so far and currently at +5s/day. I'm wondering how much it will change over the next few weeks/month. I can't remember but I'm sure all my recent Omegas have improved accuracy after a while.

At least I can just hack the seconds every few days versus faff with resetting.

Did anyone purchase the rubber strap after the initial watch purchase? I'm in two minds as I'm liking the bracelet far more than I'd originally planned.

Commisar likes this.
  5. cjoedaniel Mar 3, 2019

I'm thinking of getting the rubber but I think it's about $285 for straps and buckle.

My smp is averaging about 1.5s/day

Commisar likes this.
  6. steelfish Mar 4, 2019

Yeah it's uber expensive and not great value when you consider the leather strap for deployants is so much cheaper. Here in the UK I got quoted 285 GBP so the exchange rate has done me no favours. Dealer says he'll do me a deal on the strap so I'll see what's on offer.

7. steelfish Mar 4, 2019

Went back to AD and tried the strap version on again. Got a good deal so crumbled and ordered the strap as well.

Wife is going to kill me.

8. cjoedaniel Mar 4, 2019

Haha..nice. I think if I get a rubber strap it will most likely be an aftermarket version. Please post pics when you can.

9. MrDan80 Mar 4, 2019

Great review, as a owner of the SMP 8800 I couldn't be happier with it. I got mine around Christmas and its been my most wore watch from the day I pick it up. I don't have any scratches on my crystal (yet) so I hope the coating hold up.

IMG-9223.JPG IMG-9838.jpg
  10. Thegreatroberto Mar 7, 2019

Anyone know the Omega part number for the blue rubber strap?
    Can't find it on the Omega web site.

11. ama98 Mar 7, 2019

I don't but if you contact an OB they'll be able to help you

12. Thrasher36 Mar 8, 2019

I ordered a Black SMPc 8800 one from Jomashop, I hope thats not a crime around here but I have a Planet Ocean and Good Planet from Jomashop and they are perfect. My 1990 3592.50 and my 1997 2531.80 I got from the AD back when they were new. Thank You for the great review. PS for some Strange reason I will only buy Rolex from HQ Milton or David SW

Commisar likes this.
  13. valkyrie_rider Mar 8, 2019

Really interesting review, thanks for sharing your experience with the Seamaster.

That is my main issue with double coated AR crystals.
    :-(

14. steelfish Mar 20, 2019

Apologies but slightly OT - did your AD give you the Omega wallet? I got given the slim card wallet, but yours looks fantastic.

I've switched to my Omega one after accidentally putting my Ted Baker one through the wash earlier this week.

15. borre Mar 21, 2019

No, the wallet is not from the OB. I won it with a picture contest on this forum ;) tnx to @Speedmasterfan88

Commisar and Speedmasterfan88 like this.
  16. 007007007 Mar 21, 2019

Its a nice watch. I too struggled with the wave pattern on the dial, that is one of the reasons I have not pulled the trigger on one.

17. borre Mar 21, 2019

Did you see it in the metal yet?

18. Britinus Mar 28, 2019

I find the Omega site very poor indeed, hard to navigate and the search function is lousy. Basic functionality is swamped by over “glossy” moving screens etc. I tried to load my vintage speedy on my account and it couldn’t find the 105.012 reference. Ironic given how much they trade on the Moonwatch.

19. TheMayBe Mar 31, 2019

Thank you for the review, I find this watch very interesting.

borre likes this.
  20. htrap2294 Apr 28, 2019

I've had mine for about a month now and notice it only gains 0.5 to 0.625 seconds per day. That is crazy!

Commisar likes this.