Forums Latest Members
  1. bindo Apr 1, 2020

Greetings from Australia

First off I hope everyone is keeping safe and well in these horrific times.

I really need your help in understanding this strange problem I’m seeing on my 4 year old PO600 (42mm) watch. Last weekend when I looked at the watch at some point I noticed that the watch has turned completely foggy and I could barely read the time. Initially I thought it was temporary and wiped the glass case with a clean cloth but the fog wouldn’t clear. Surprisingly though it got cleared itself after few hours but when I wore it today again the same phenomenon occurred. I can say following things about this watch.

1.very light use, wear it only in the weekends
    2. Never I mean never used in water, not to mention hardly wash my hands whilst watch is on my wrist.
    3. Watch has never been serviced, again it’s been only about 4 years since the purchase.

Please can you go through the photos and advice if you have an idea about what might have caused this? Is there anything I can do on my own to address if at all possible?

Thanks guys.
    -Bindo

4598CDD4-7E79-4A31-851A-DABA137B9E92.jpeg EE4A5CCA-E063-4816-964A-3B35C0139883.jpeg F43E7EE4-A58A-4017-B57F-69C715103E0F.jpeg
  2. marco Apr 1, 2020

I would assume this is condensation, leave it in the sun. Take it asap to a good watchmaker to have seals checked and for water ingress.
    Best of luck.

Foo2rama and bindo like this.
  3. bindo Apr 1, 2020

Marco, thanks so much for the reply. Unfortunately all the official Omega service centres here in Melbourne are closed as a result of covid19 lockdowns. :(

4. marco Apr 1, 2020

It will be ok in a warm dry place any moisture will dry out, hopefully no damage that a clean cant fix.

5. bindo Apr 1, 2020

6. marco Apr 1, 2020

There is Lewis WatchCo in Perth he is accredited by Omega and always available, superb service.

Taddyangle, Foo2rama and bindo like this.
  7. bindo Apr 1, 2020

Marco, thanks. What I don’t understand is that the watch gets misty only when it’s exposed to the sun. For an instance this morning when I took the watch out of the drawer it was perfectly clear, wore it for about an hour during the time I did my groceries and the issue resurfaced. Do you think I should stop wearing this until it get serviced ?

-B

8. bindo Apr 1, 2020

Unfortunately I’m based in Melbourne. :(

9. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 1, 2020

Put in an Express Post bag and send it to me.

I'll open it and dehydrate it to remove all moisture, replace the caseback and return it.

You just pay for postage both ways.

Edit: Forgot to add, I'm in Melbourne too.

Edited Apr 1, 2020
    Taddyangle, DaveK, TDBK and 14 others like this.
  10. jeelan Apr 1, 2020

Alll about Time in Perth is also an Omega service agent and also very good. To my understanding Lewis WatchCo are in the process of getting accredited so cant officially work on CoAx movements still.

As another member suggested, Express Mail bag works.

11. bindo Apr 1, 2020

Thanks Jim. Are you a certified watch repairer etc? I’m thinking of getting that 5 year service also done at the same time ti be honest. The watch’s got another year or so before it needs its service but the immediate repair needed for fixing my current problem likely require opening up the case so I might as well get the service done.

12. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 1, 2020

No certification, I'm a "hobby watchmaker", but I'm capable of opening the case correctly to remove the moisture, which is the important thing.
    That allows the watch to be dried and sealed again until Omega can get to servicing it, which, based on the way things are going here, may not be for some time.

Leaving it with moisture inside the case will damage the dial/hands and movement parts (if left long enough).

I think I can provide references from other forum members if required. ;)

Taddyangle, marco, Foo2rama and 4 others like this.
  13. Donn Chambers Apr 1, 2020

Even though you never took it in the water, one of the gaskets seals allowed some moisture into the watch — probably when you were washing your hands or in a rainstorm. It happens. Now that moisture evaporates when the watch is exposed to sunlight and gets warm enough, causing the fog. You definitely should not wear it until you can get that moisture out and get it serviced with new gaskets all around. As others have said, your best bet is to remove the case back and get the moisture out, then close it back up and keep it in a dry place until it can be serviced.

If you remove the moisture and start wearing it again, you are likely to get water in there again. This is one reason it is recommended to get a watch pressure tested every year or two between servicing to identify problems like this before you get moisture in the watch.

bindo likes this.
  14. photo500 Apr 1, 2020

I can perform Omega servicing and repairs on those no problem. Was actually working on the same model only today. Or you could just send it to one of the other options talked about here. I am authorised, can get all parts needed and am 'allowed' lol to work on the co-axials. :) Lewis Watch co, Perth

Taddyangle, bindo and marco like this.
  15. jeelan Apr 1, 2020

sorry mate that was my mistake. I stand corrected. Good to see another service venue in Perth - usually hard to get some of these “boutique” services in our neck of the woods - I’m trying to look for a good place that does optical repairs / refurbs on old binoculars but not having much luck!

Good luck with it.

Cheers
    Jeelan

photo500 and bindo like this.
  16. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Apr 1, 2020

Open the crown if you try this so the moisture can get out, though professional intervention is best if you can.

Tom

marco likes this.
  17. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Apr 1, 2020

The Planet Ocean retains 50M water resistance even with the crown out. Probably will make no difference.

bindo likes this.
  18. brownwld Apr 1, 2020

Take it asap to a watchmaker... Condensation is not a good thing, especially for the caliber.
    4 years old? Isn´t the watch still under warranty? :)

bindo likes this.
  19. rob#1 Apr 1, 2020

The 5 year warranty commenced in 2018 - this watch being 4 years old was bought in 2016 or so, therefore it had a 2 year warranty.

bindo likes this.
  20. bindo Apr 1, 2020

Thanks so much for all the replies guys. Does anyone of you know someone here in Melbourne who can look at the watch? I tried calling James Jameson from "Omega watch repairs melbourne" but to no avail. It'll be heaps easier for me to get it done locally as opposed to sending the watch interstate. Please let me know guys. What a wonderful time this damn watch decided to break on me :(