Forums Latest Members

Omega SM300 w/ Mesh Bracelet Built with Replacement Parts & Purchased on Chrono24

1. Willard Dynamic Feb 5, 2020

Greetings Fellow Omega Enthusiasts!!

I have a bit of an issue as I recently purchased a Omega Seamaster 300 on a mesh bracelet, built from brand new genuine Omega replacement parts, from a Swiss Watch Store on Chrono24. A WatchCo type watch if you please. They are selling both the date and no date dial versions for about $4k. They swear these watches where put together, using only genuine Omega parts, by an Omega level 3 service watchmaker.

Considering this watch store sells watches in the tens of thousands, and that their reviews were near perfect, I trusted them. Purchased the watch for way more than I wanted to pay but these are impossible to find anymore. I won’t buy one from eBay due to concerns of containing fake parts or unserviced movements. Moreover, whenever they come up on the Forum, they sell immediately. Plus the mesh bracelets is what pushed me towards making the purchase.

Anyway, I was impressed with the Chrono24 process, as it was painless. The watch took less than 5 days to get delivered to my door step, from Switzerland, without any additional VAT or Duties. They even, cleverly, shipped the watch in a foam Omega travel case as of it had just comeback from Omega service. However, once my eyes gazed upon the watch, I immediately noticed things didn’t look right. Strangely, the genuine Omega acrylic crystal doesn’t have the same warm glow as my SM Pro. The bezel font looks all wrong, something I should have noticed before I bought it. In fact, I can’t find a single example online with the same font. Lastly, the case back has a pointed “A” in “WATERPROOF” which I’ve always thought was a dead give away. I know the newer case backs have a less prominent flat “A” but it’s still flat. It’s absolutely pointed on this case back. The dial, case, crown, HANDS and bracelet all look good to me but I’ll let all of you decide.

The company and Chrono24 have all agreed to facilitate a return with full refund. However, I don’t want to return the watch unless it’s made with fake parts. I know I paid a lot for this watch but with the mesh bracelet, I don’t think it’s out of this world. Nonetheless, I’m not okay with the cost it the watch if it contains even one aftermarket, or fake part.

D66BEB2C-1E00-4E0C-AF6B-95B7F845D7C4.jpeg 72CB6FF0-EF43-42C1-8B18-E2D6151A21F4.jpeg 430D709A-5295-4E29-8037-CEC6397883D4.jpeg 50235AB3-3520-4937-91C2-9A15EBC85E6D.jpeg A2E1E5CD-3197-488A-BAD1-4DC896AA11DF.jpeg E83C01CC-4CAB-46F1-9202-366EB528B000.jpeg F91658AA-4B55-477D-9B13-1CFCDE6858B1.jpeg
    Edited Feb 5, 2020
  2. simonsays Feb 5, 2020

Looks fine to me. It is possible the latest service cases have sharp A in the waterproof?

3. ChrisN Feb 5, 2020

The shape of the crown guards is different to the ones I have. Somebody posted a comparison of the newer cases (as @simonsays notes) in a thread that was deleted. I can't remember who it was but, they certainly showed different crown guard shape and bezel fonts. This was about 9 months ago.

If this company is making them, why didn't they supply the Omega parts packaging? No use to anyone once they are opened.

If you have any doubt, just return it as you already have agreed that it can be done.

Cheers, Chris

4. omegasaso12 Feb 5, 2020

All original Omega 100% parts to compare:
    20200101_160546.jpg 20200101_160603.jpg 20200101_160626.jpg

5. simonsays Feb 5, 2020

I think the OP’s watch case is a later iteration.

6. timwatch Feb 5, 2020

Looks off. Bezel's numbers are strange.

maximilian g likes this.
  7. Willard Dynamic Feb 5, 2020

Greetings and thank you for your response. Yes, what you’ve posted is what I’m comparing mine too and why I have the concern. Moreover, had I bought this watch on eBay, I would be terrified.

However, why would a Swiss watch company, selling $50k watches with near perfect feedback on Chrono24, sell Omega SM300 with partial NOS and Aftermarket parts? It doesn’t make sense? Especially when they are selling it for $4k? That’s more than enough to cover the NOS parts, donor movement, and service costs?

I appreciate your response. Again, the photos of what you posted are what I’ve seen and am contrasting against. It’s why I’m suspicious and seeking advisement.

8. Willard Dynamic Feb 5, 2020

Thank you for your response. Worst case, yes, I’ll rerun the watch. However, I obviously purchased it for a reason. If someone can attest to the watch being truly NOS, I would prefer to keep it. However, if there is any doubt or someone can definitely tell me it contains fake parts, it’s going back.

Thank you and thanks to everyone who has responded so far!!

9. Willard Dynamic Feb 5, 2020

Agreed!!! I spent 2 hours last night looking at supposed NOS Omega SM300s and WatchCo SM300s, I didn’t find a single one with the font this bezel has.

However, the bezel has the appropriate 60 click bi-directional turns, and aside from insert, appears real. The lume is bright and matches the rest of the watch on all the 10 minute numbered indices.

10. ChrisN Feb 5, 2020

The parts are service parts and not NOS and that's why I was saying if you have doubts (and it may be hard to remove those doubts), return it and look into having one made.

$4k delivered with the shark mesh is a fair price in my opinion, if it all checks out.

Regards, Chris

marco, Davidt and Lazy_Lightning like this.
  11. Willard Dynamic Feb 5, 2020

Lastly, based on the photos Omegasaso12 posted, don’t modern replacement case backs, besides having the flat “A”, come with a protective film like he photographed? Every replacement case back I found for sale last night, something I spent an hour researching, all had flat “A”s and had the same protective film as photographed by Omegasaso12. Clear film with a red stripe going through one third of it? Mine doesn’t have that same film with the red stripe either.

Edited Feb 5, 2020
  12. Lazy_Lightning Feb 5, 2020

Fantastic point.

NOS = new old stock, which are original parts that were manufactured when these watches were originally made in the 60s/70s and were never used, installed.

service parts = newly manufactured replacements parts: dials, hands, cases, bands, etc.

For what it's worth, the bezel font is different than mine.

7A3F4CB4-3185-417C-9167-5766C0F3031D.jpeg
  13. Willard Dynamic Feb 5, 2020

Understood, sir.

Also, to be clear, their response described these as “serviced” by an Omega Level 3 Service Watchmaker. So yes, the parts would have been service parts, not NOS parts. Thank you for clarifying that and I agree, could be the difference.

Here is their exact response when I called them out for using aftermarket, Non-Omega parts.

“Hello, the watch has all original parts on it. No part of the watch is FAKE. It was all made by an Omega Serviece Level 3 Watchmaker here in Switzerland. Her refurbished the movement and all other parts were changed with original Omega parts. So the watch is autchentic and original. We will take it back but it is not fair to say we sell a fake watch just because you didn`t like it. Kind Regards.”

14. simonsays Feb 5, 2020

Which is why you can be comparing apples and oranges looking at older ‘watchcos’. The manufacturers and specs change as time goes by.
    I am sure this is just made of the newest Omega service parts.

15. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Feb 5, 2020

To clear things up a bit, broadly speaking, there are no NOS (vintage) parts, case, bezel, dial, hands etc. being used in these watches, they are service parts, which are newly made for Omega.

drose224, watchyouwant and Davidt like this.
  16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 5, 2020

The term "NOS" means "New Old Stock" and there's nothing old about these parts. These are brand new, recently manufacture service parts from Omega. The "NOS" crap all started with Watchco claiming they had all these "old" service cases, when all they were doing is buying brand new, recently manufactured, parts from Omega. These are not old, therefore are not NOS watches or parts.

With that out of the way, let's look at the case designs...here is a case that was manufactured in 2016 from what I recall on the package:

[​IMG]

Note the shape of the cut out at the crown guards:

[​IMG]

The "A" in waterproof is flat on top:

[​IMG]

These are images I've just taken of a case I purchased right from Omega recently. This case was made in the 25th week of 2019, so just a few months ago. You can see the date code on the package:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Front shot:

[​IMG]

Note the cut out is very different for the crown guards:

[​IMG]

And the case back has a pointed "A" in waterproof:

[​IMG]

Again, both of these cases were purchased directly from Omega, so there is no doubt regarding their authenticity. I do admit that last year when the photos of the different cut out for the crown guard were first posted, I was skeptical that it was an original Omega case, as there are fakes out there. But having ordered one right from Omega, I am satisfied this is now a change that the cases have gone through.

Cheers, Al

17. Willard Dynamic Feb 5, 2020

Thank you, LL. Just a quick question, when did Omega install that replacement bezel on your watch?

I’m just wondering if it’s possible the, as other members have pointed out, Omega has changed the fonts going forward on replacement Bezels(As we have seen them do over the last 60 years)!

18. Lazy_Lightning Feb 5, 2020

Al, is your definition of NOS specific to thee watchco type builds or broadly?

I've always understood the term NOS as older OEM parts that were not used, installed, this also applies to vintage car parts.

19. Willard Dynamic Feb 5, 2020

Greetings Al,

First, let me thank you, and others, for clearing up the NOS vs Replacement. I know the difference and didn’t mean to muck up this thread by crossing up their meaning or importance to the original question.

Thank you for posting those! That font is the same font on my bezel and the straight crown guards are the same as mine as well. Moreover, the “A” is pointed! So, based on your photos and comparing them with mine, I would say my watch has genuine Omega service parts installed.

In your opinion, which I greatly respect sir, based on the photos I posted above and comparing them to the newer case you photographed, would you agree with me and say you think my watch is legitimate?

Again, I know it’s just an opinion and I would never hold it against you if it was wrong but your opinion would mean a great deal to me and would likely allow me to comfortably keep the watch. Please let me know, sir.

20. Lazy_Lightning Feb 5, 2020

The bezel on my watch was installed by a watchmaker in the UK. It’s a custom build with a period correct Omega movement and new Omega service parts.