Omega SM300 Big Triangle 165.024-Thoughts Appreciated

Hello All

I have been offered this watch which I have yet to see in person and have received these two photographs. The elderly gentleman who has offered me the watch does not have the means to remove the back and of course I will check the calibre of the movement and date and the case numberings before purchasing, if I do so. I am told he has owned it since the 1970's and of course I take this with a pinch of salt. I would just like some advice as to the bezel, dial and hands. I appreciate with only two photographs no definitive answer can be given but thoughts would be much appreciated.

Regards
Wei
IMG-20201025-WA0000.jpg IMG-20201025-WA0003.jpg

I see nothing obviously wrong but something about the case makes me... uneasy. Experts will be along soon!

In my opinion the dial has been redone - compare the position of the triangle against the 2 and 53 minute markers, and the Omega logo and font against the pic below. Actually all the fonts are off, including the 3, 6 and 9. I'm not saying the below is a perfect watch, but I believe the dial is genuine.

BT pic.png

Hey there and welcome to the forum! 😀

Iam by no means an expert, but i have been busy with this model lately because i wanted to buy one myself. So I will try my best 😀

At first glance the watch looks good. There are a few things just to be mentioned. The model is, what you probably know, called "Big Triangle". This model has been introduced around 67/68. if you don't just value whether the individual parts of the watch are genuine, you could also see whether they fit into the corresponding time period. So lets have a look 😀

- Bezel: The bezel is genuine and correct for its time (around '67/'68). All in one it is in a good condition, although you should have a look on the "15" marker and between the "1" and "0" of the "10" marker. It seems that there are cracks, but I can be wrong.

- Dial: looks good and genuine. Could (!) be relumed some time ago, but to see it exactly we need better pics. Don't be unsettled of the difference of the color between the dial and the hands. This is normal for the later big T´s.

- Hands: Good and genuine. No problems here.

- Crown: screw-down version. Cant see if genuine. Therefore I need a pic of the top of the crown. Opinions differ here if this model should have a SD (screw-down) or a normal flat one. In my opinion both are ok.

- Caseback: Genuine and right for this model

- Case: Good and genuine as far as I can see. Good shape (if you don't mind the scratches on the back) and not polished.

- Bracelet: can't see the type of the bracelet and whether it is from omega at all but definitely wrong on this mode.

Note that the individual parts do not necessarily have to be in the correct time period. Back then, watch manufacturers often used up old parts first. This can also lead to overlaps.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask 😀

So, I would say that the watch is in good overall condition. Of course, it depends on whether everything is right about the movement. Personally, I wouldn't buy a watch without taking a look inside the movement. Either a 552 or a 560 should be in here. The serial number would also be interesting. So if you still get pictures of the movement, please post them here. Then we can talk about it too 😀

Hmm, speedamatuer is right. There is something weird about the triangle. Although i dont know if there a possible deviations in the width of the triangle, i only know models where the triangle either touches the first lines on the sides or goes slightly beyond it. But if a big triangle dial was made from a normal dial, you would at least see the painted over "12", unless it was somehow removed. But to be able to judge that, you really need better pictures.

BTW: Here are two good guides to classify SM 300s (1;2)
Edited:

Thank you gentlemen for all your thoughts and advice, I particularly enjoyed reading the two guide link provided by Concer. It would appear the dial has been refinished and I think there is an issue (Crack) with the bezel at 15 which I will need to see in person. Assuming the movement is correct and of the period when I inspect the watch I need to decide whether it is the watch for me. I can live with the refinished dial which I know is a serious issue for many out there but I believe at £1450 the watch might be worth some TLC.

At £1450 you'd be doing well - there's a legit dial on ebay at the moment for £1800, it's not in amazing shape but it is the genuine article!

Thought I might just upload the following watch sold by Sothebys. The dial has the same big triangle within the same parameters and also has the same font for the omega logo. That is not to say Sothebys example also had a refinished dial and possibly by the same hand. DSC_5861.jpg DSC_5862.jpg

omegaseamaster.com is a good place to spend some time at if you have not done so already.

Those dials always throw me for a loop. You might want to also post this watch on MWR as there are many there that collect this model. 👍

At £1450 it’s a deal regardless. Just make sure you get a look inside.

my 67 big triangle is pictured here. It has the smaller crown.

80102841-1D24-44AD-AD9C-2C6419F161CB.jpeg 3C3BD674-F2EE-4B37-933F-FC645482A0EA.jpeg

Hi All

I examined the movement and the case back which all seemed ok. Working and keeping good time it has the screw down crown which looks original. As a result I took the plunge and purchased the watch.

Ray

Congratulations! At this price it was a nobrainer at all.

Wear it in good health!

Congratulations definitely a steal at £1450 !

As a matter of interest what bracelet did that come with?